LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

i genuinely have no clue what this is or what to do, but how do i do it, and can i donate steam keys? 

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

so I never understood the "#" tags, is it not a index for lazy admins?

and vlogs, is it only for the author to express there power ;)

don't get me wrong GOTSpectrum is a god :)

Just fishing for a millennial expatiation ;) with images/videos/green screen and bling ;)

Stay safe happy and folding!

6 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

i genuinely have no clue what this is or what to do, but how do i do it, and can i donate steam keys? 

I hear you... donate to? well not to me ;)

no ideas how you can do that best of luck!

57 minutes ago, Tills_Monocle said:

give it a little time, the server is either down or overwhelmed. 

The transfer has been failing for a couple of hours now. But I will give it some more time

Just realized I had more horsepower sitting in the basement for folding, dual Xeon NAS just sitting there counting bits. 

What video cards could I put in there to crank up the heat?  They've got a single 8-pin PCI-E power cable to share (300W total for GPUs - 75W x16 slot + 75W x16 slot + 150W 8 pin cable), so I'm limited a bit.   I could go dual used 1060s, or maybe a 5700xt?  What's my best option for my constraints?

5 minutes ago, Kainhander said:

Just realized I had more horsepower sitting in the basement for folding, dual Xeon NAS just sitting there counting bits. 

What video cards could I put in there to crank up the heat?  They've got a single 8-pin PCI-E power cable to share (300W total for GPUs - 75W x16 slot + 75W x16 slot + 150W 8 pin cable), so I'm limited a bit.   I could go dual used 1060s, or maybe a 5700xt?  What's my best option for my constraints?

What sort of system is it? I'm going to be using these to add two GTX 970 SSC cards to my dual-Xeon PowerEdge T610.

https://www.newegg.com/p/36M-01AF-000J2?Item=9SIAM5VA454385

I plan on tapping power off of the 8-drive SAS backplane for the 970's with a custom wiring harness.

15 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

El Psy Congroo out!

Folding since 15/03/20

Rig specs

Mobo - crosshair hero 7

Ram -  trident z 3400

Processor- Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.1 Ghz

Graphics card - Gigabyte 1080 TI

3 hours ago, Inkertus said:

I'd say funky ppower coming out of your PC supply.  You get a cheap Chinese unit or a well designed Corsair (or the like. or is it an old unit)? 

I know this is late but I was watching a race. If you look back in the thread a bit, this is on ALL of my rigs. From 6 year old now mid ranges to a 9900k with 2080TI. Hell even my Dell R420 server. I have NEVER skimped on power supplies. Ok well back in the early 90's I did.

1 minute ago, TheAmazingDave said:

What sort of system is it? I'm going to be using these to add two GTX 970 SSC cards to my dual-Xeon PowerEdge T610.

https://www.newegg.com/p/36M-01AF-000J2?Item=9SIAM5VA454385

I plan on tapping power off of the 8-drive SAS backplane for the 970's with a custom wiring harness.

It's a Dell Precision T5600 "workstation" setup with the carcass of an old PC as an Unraid DAS abomination.

I just realized there's 2 6-pin PCI-E power cables I could tap on the DAS power supply, so that would be another 150W with a cable extension....

anyone notice that your daily points are not adding up?  i can see my hourly production on overclockers and can add it up and its way more than it says im doing per 24 hours?  Obviously im looking at it wrong somehow or maybe its just behind?

EDIT - nevermind it was just behind or something screwed up its right now.

4 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

I know this is late but I was watching a race. If you look back in the thread a bit, this is on ALL of my rigs. From 6 year old now mid ranges to a 9900k with 2080TI. Hell even my Dell R420 server. I have NEVER skimped on power supplies. Ok well back in the early 90's I did.

The reason I suspect funky power in or out is it's on everything.  There's got to be a noise filter you can get like a common mode suppression choke up to a full isolater like I saw mentioned a while ago that basically scrubs and reprocesses the power at the cost of some efficiency, that you can install inline to one of them to test for that.  Worth a shot if it keeps doing this.

1 minute ago, Inkertus said:

The reason I suspect funky power in or out is it's on everything.  There's got to be a noise filter you can get like a common mode suppression choke up to a full isolater like I saw mentioned a while ago that basically scrubs and reprocesses the power at the cost of some efficiency, that you can install inline to one of them to test for that.  Worth a shot if it keeps doing this.

I actually have tried farrite(sp) and it has not made a difference. I also have had the system checked to make sure (and I do) have a fairly clean supply to those circuits and those circuits to outlets. I am at a loss. the reason I had tried this is due to not being able to OC ANY of my rigs much past stock. I might spend the money soon and just get a small line conditioner to make sure.

10 minutes ago, Unilevers said:

anyone notice that your daily points are not adding up?  i can see my hourly production on overclockers and can add it up and its way more than it says im doing per 24 hours?  Obviously im looking at it wrong somehow or maybe its just behind?

UTC maybe?

Just now, LFreeman said:

UTC maybe?

naw something was just wonky with my stats page or it was updating.  its correct now

th]]]]]]]]]]]]

14 minutes ago, Unilevers said:

there is something strange here lol and i know 100K+ where submitted at 7 or near 7PM CST

image.png.3567b7afef2bab3c471d3a36a51691ed.pngimage.png.c39eb380effcb41e25e19f09ec946a1f.pngimage.png.76f1348aedfd8b67595da5eb7fa7649f.png

image.png.7a53c810e0bab70c038ab95aeb8528cf.pngimage.png.cfa954f3c29e8610e5221983fd1abcd6.png

The top 3 are GPU units completed the bottom one is a CPU unit

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Pre ordered Framework 16 Batch 8 | Ryzen 7 7840HS DIY | Plan on getting the Crucial 64 or 96GB ram Depending on feedback | and a 2 or 4TB WD Black SN850x and 2TB SN770M | 180Watt ACadapter

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Fry: Dell XPS 9520 | Win 11 Pro | Intel i7-12700H | 15.6" 3840x2400 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-4800 | 2TB WD SN810 & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | Nvidia 3050Ti | 130Watt ACadapter

Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

1 minute ago, LFreeman said:

I actually have tried farrite(sp) and it has not made a difference. I also have had the system checked to make sure (and I do) have a fairly clean supply to those circuits and those circuits to outlets. I am at a loss. the reason I had tried this is due to not being able to OC ANY of my rigs much past stock. I might spend the money soon and just get a small line conditioner to make sure.

Well other than quality of power out of the wall or supplies, assuming those are good, my next suspicion would be board-side power.  My step brother had to buy a new motherboard due to it being crap, though I doubt you have luck that bad.  Only time I've heard of a board causing system issues like that.

2 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

Have you tried a UPS on one system? Something line interactive?

1 minute ago, BlueJedi said:

Have you tried a UPS on one system? Something line interactive?

TBH I would try a decent line conditioner over a UPS. Line conditioners are a better value for me over a full fledged UPS if that is not the issue. I can't toss too much $ around right now as I am laid off for god knows how long.

7 hours ago, SlurmWorm said:

Just FYI to anyone else with an AMD 3950X -- I have folding cranked to full with all CPU's running at 100% and the system (Ubuntu) is still completely usable.  Playing videos, browsing and working and it's fully responsive.  I'm guessing the 3900X would react similarly (no idea if running Windows would handicap performance tho).

3950x-100-cpu.jpg

yup, folding full pin on the cpu and no notable difference in being able to still use the computer.  i guess, this isnt 1997 any more lol

21 minutes ago, cbigfoot said:

th]]]]]]]]]]]]

there is something strange here lol and i know 100K+ where submitted at 7 or near 7PM CST

image.png.3567b7afef2bab3c471d3a36a51691ed.pngimage.png.c39eb380effcb41e25e19f09ec946a1f.pngimage.png.76f1348aedfd8b67595da5eb7fa7649f.png

image.png.7a53c810e0bab70c038ab95aeb8528cf.pngimage.png.cfa954f3c29e8610e5221983fd1abcd6.png

The top 3 are GPU units completed the bottom one is a CPU unit

I got 0 points too at 9pm. 

yea last update was MIA, typical, nothing to get excited over

yeah that may be why our results are delayed and why @GOTSpectrum is so Quiet lol...well im going to bed wee see if i make it into the top 60 tomorrow.

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Pre ordered Framework 16 Batch 8 | Ryzen 7 7840HS DIY | Plan on getting the Crucial 64 or 96GB ram Depending on feedback | and a 2 or 4TB WD Black SN850x and 2TB SN770M | 180Watt ACadapter

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Fry: Dell XPS 9520 | Win 11 Pro | Intel i7-12700H | 15.6" 3840x2400 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-4800 | 2TB WD SN810 & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | Nvidia 3050Ti | 130Watt ACadapter

Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

3 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

TBH I would try a decent line conditioner over a UPS. Line conditioners are a better value for me over a full fledged UPS if that is not the issue. I can't toss too much $ around right now as I am laid off for god knows how long.

That's fair. Not suggesting a permanent solution for all your systems. If the issue is because you're seeing power dips, than a line conditioner will only get you so far. A good line interactive UPS is a line conditioner too and makes up for any shortfalls from the wall. They usually give somewhat helpful real-time power stats too. Can be helpful to see what the wall power is doing while you're overclocking.