LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Just now, Metallus97 said:

There is no way to select the specific COVID-19 WUs, but just hang in there and you will get some. They are handed out with higher priority!

Ah, okay. I saw that my GPU was doing it, but I also wanted to have my CPU do the same thing. I don't mind folding for other diseases though!

A girl who loves to love.

1 hour ago, Aimi said:

I'm a bit of an idiot. Is there a way to make my CPU fold for COVID-19 as well? It seems to be folding for any disease.

@Aimi No, again it's all random chance who gets what.
There are a few things you can do to influence it but for the really important/high priority projects, if I'm not mistaken what hardware you have largely determines how the WU's are distributed. I seriously doubt a CPU would be getting them but then again, you never know - It could happen.

Just set your folding preference to anything and whatever comes your way will do so.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Just now, Aimi said:

Ah, okay. I saw that my GPU was doing it, but I also wanted to have my CPU do the same thing. I don't mind folding for other diseases though!

Yeha I think the CPU projects are still in beta/advanced to this date. To do this you have to set your client-type to advanced/beta. But dont do this while the event. Cloud lead to F@H Crashes and bad WUs-> lost points 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

if I'm not mistaken what hardware you have largely determines how the WU's are distributed

That'd make sense, I'm using a 1080 Ti right now.

A girl who loves to love.

Just now, Aimi said:

That'd make sense, I'm using a 1080 Ti right now.

nice! Thats some PPD! One of my cards is currently doing a 11743. Nice to see that they used the newer (and faster) core22 for the COVID stuff! So all the Navi users (including me) can help!

1 hour ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

*edit* nvm, the folding page just updated and it seems like i am in the correct team "LinusTechTips_Team" - anythign else i need to do or can i just start at the 27th and wautomatically work at the correct WU's?

Make sure you have your passkey, as that will get you more points (it should be emailed to you) and it usually takes 24 hours after entered to take effect. 

37 minutes ago, Yebi said:

Up and running!

Covid doesn't seem to be in the priority options though. Are they still working on rolling out the project?

-snip-

17 minutes ago, Aimi said:

I'm a bit of an idiot. Is there a way to make my CPU fold for COVID-19 as well? It seems to be folding for any disease.

Currently there's no way to specifically select WU's dedicated to COVID-19 (it would require developers to create a new Advanced client), however the following work units have been confirmed to benefit the research specifically:

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I'm thinking about letting my 970's have at it instead of the lone Rad VII (Actually I have two) to save a little on the powerbill. Chances are the newer core22 would run well with those and with two going at it I can score some points and get the work done.
Besides one of them I really need to test anyway, recently repaired after it had blown a few MOSFETs and letting it fold will confirm how it's doing.

As I had said earlier I believe the one I finished earlier was one too but it was a 11748 WU so I'm guessing it has to be related like the rest are by the numbers.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

For anyone who wants to track their folding stats, Extreme Overlockers has a good Stat tool that plots your PPD data

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=223518

image.png.32f76308606e3bac5aaec64eefa5141b.png

Here's mine as an example:

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812207

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

I'm thinking about letting my 970's have at it instead of the lone Rad VII (Actually I have two) to save a little on the powerbill. Chances are the newer core22 would run well with those and with two going at it I can score some points and get the work done.
Besides one of them I really need to test anyway, recently repaired after it had blown a few MOSFETs and letting it fold will confirm how it's doing.

As I had said earlier I believe the one I finished earlier was one too but it was a 11748 WU so I'm guessing it has to be related like the rest are by the numbers.

FK that power bill and let em all crunch on full speed. 

Since I cant do much in RL right now (no work and stuff.....) Ill now use the time to get my old Operon server (48c) into the fight!

Guess thats gonna be a REAL space heater :D

Hate to quote myself and hope its ok...

For the new guys: If you have some time at your hands here is a guide on how to fold in the cloud for free for a few days. After that feel free to spend the $$$ but it gets expensive! Don't do it now... do it while the event. That will give you a fat PPD boost!

69 responses ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

If you make a mistake filling out the form please MESSAGE ME!!! 

Don't simply go filling in the form again without first receiving instructions from me. 

It breaks the whole thing and then I have to go messing with the damn sheet! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

FK that power bill and let em all crunch on full speed. 

Since I cant do much in RL right now (no work and stuff.....) Ill now use the time to get my old Operon server (48c) into the fight!

Guess thats gonna be a REAL space heater :D

Unfortunately I'm still waiting to hear if I've been approved for disability, that means I do have to worry about the bill.
The 970 is in and it's not too far off from what the Rad VII was doing itsell, I'll let this one go for awhile.

If the description is correct, I'm working on a CPU coronavirus project right now. My CPU is a 9900K at 5GHz so it could be seen as one of the higher performance ones available.  image.png.0ac313315c70a93763c94e916ccc667b.png

Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, EVGA 3090 Hybrid FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Lian Li O11 Air Mini White

Plex/Minecraft Server: Dell PowerEdge T320, Xeon E5-2470 v2, 48GB RAM, 19.25TB storage, RTX A2000 6GB

Tablet: iPad Pro 11” M1

54 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Make sure you have your passkey, as that will get you more points (it should be emailed to you) and it usually takes 24 hours after entered to take effect. 

Currently there's no way to specifically select WU's dedicated to COVID-19 (it would require developers to create a new Advanced client), however the following work units have been confirmed to benefit the research specifically:

Passkey aquired and it works. Unsure though if we should start folding now or wait some time until more WU's come out specifically for Corona.

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

Just now, Kenpachi1985 said:

Passkey aquired and it works. Unsure though if we should start folding now or wait some time until more WU's come out specifically for Corona.

Folding is never bad, there are loads of projects that need help not just COVID-19

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Folding is never bad, there are loads of projects that need help not just COVID-19

Just started it and look what i got for my CPU -> 

I'm contributing toProject 14530

CORONAVIRUS PROJECT

Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) protease - potential drug target

These are high-priority **CPU** projects to simulate the main protease of the COVID-19.     At the time of release, this is the latest news report:  https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

Please stay tuned to https://foldingathome.org/news/ for more current updates.

*edit* My GPU just got also hit with a full load of Corona, eheehe

I'm contributing toProject 11741

CORONAVIRUS PROJECT

Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) receptor binding domain in complex with human receptor ACE2

Further description coming shortly once we've dealt with the workload of getting these projects out, thanks for your patience!

Edited by Kenpachi1985

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

1 minute ago, madprofessor207 said:

-snip

Honestly the  response has been epic, just look at the default teams output

image.png.6975de1749f704ae32130ca8540d3fd4.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Imma take part, should I just go ahead and fill in the form? This is my first time Folding so im a noob

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

Just now, Guiltyx said:

Imma take part, should I just go ahead and fill in the form? This is my first time Folding so im a noob

Sure, but don't forget to make your folding account first to ensure the username it's available.  

Also, may seem like a stupid thing but don't forget to actually fold

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Sure, but don't forget to make your folding account first to ensure the username it's available.  

Also, may seem like a stupid thing but don't forget to actually fold

Thanks, just submitted it

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

Not sure how relevant this is for the hardcore folding guys, but if you are a newbie to this (like me) - it seems like the Folding client does NOT like overclocking on my GPU (Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC). I use MSI Afterburner and everything in games and rendering otherwise works perfectly, so the OC is fine itself.

I turned all specs back to basic (core clock and memory clock) since it gave me repeating errors every 2-3% completion progress in the log until the WU was declared unuseable and was dropped -----> (21:18:10:WU01:FS01:0x22:Bad State detected... attempting to resume from last good checkpoint. Is your system overclocked?)

So, if you experience these errors, disable your OC and see if the next WU on your GPU is working properly. Currently waiting for a new one, will report if turning OC definitely fixed it.