LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Not too bad, you do start to see issues with 2080 cards and up I believe going from the folding forum.

Maybe in a few years if they make sense I may own one and be able to say first hand. 

I'm sure if you ask @Gorgon he'll be able to go into it further, having a larger sample size with a wider variety of hardware. But at least for borderline high end cards, I'm not able to note any variance so long as they're both well ventilated, frequency and power delivery are stable, etc.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I was expecting the CPU to cool off a bit when I took 2 threads away from F@H but the GPU is like a toasty warm blanket in there to it.  83-87c and vibing. 😅 💦

9 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

How many lanes are you running on each GPU?

FAH doesn't care about the lanes you can use 4 2X lanes and still get the same amount of PPD as an 16X lane, just use PSU riser powered extension ...

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

51 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

WUs seem to be getting more regular plus you only have to produce 35714 ponts per day to ht the requrement, which I think is fine.

Together with the other replies, fair enough then it seems. Certainly I've myself been idle all day today. Yes, I realize the requirement's over the duration of the event itself, but, well, 10 days times 0 points per day is, err, let me see, ... :-)

56 minutes ago, Macaw2000 said:

My "Elastic Folding" setup humming along nicely now. I'm using spot market instances on AWS. They are running in containers on ECS and g4dn.xlarge instance types with NVIDIA T4s. What is likely new about my approach is that more instances launch if the spot market price drops (right now it's at $0.15/hr) and instances terminate if the price goes up too much. Basically uses more power when it's cheaper.

I can't say exactly how well the system folds because, like all of us, it was waiting on WUs most of last night. I fired it up again this morning and it quickly grabbed a million points. I set up a budget in AWS so if I approach a threshold the system kills itself but right now it's very reasonable. 

I'm running on g4dn.xlarge instance too. It was racking up points last night...

chrome_rxWDsHNrhW.png

1 minute ago, Xsilent(X) said:

FAH doesn't care about the lanes you can use 4 2X lanes and still get the same amount of PPD as an 16X lane, just use PSU riser powered extension ...

That is not true, if you use single lanes you get massive hit to the production, trust me, even on a 970 you can see the hit. 

x4 is probably fine for most part with most cards. But we are starting to see the limits of PCIe 3.0 when it comes to lower lane counts 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Bumped the freq and voltage down a bit to 3.8 and 1.3 respectively and boy those temps dropped 5c almost instantly.

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

That is not true, if you use single lanes you get massive hit to the production, trust me, even on a 970 you can see the hit. 

x4 is probably fine for most part with most cards. But we are starting to see the limits of PCIe 3.0 when it comes to lower lane counts 

Whaler did use PSU powered risers on 2X lanes and he said it doesn't impact the PPD. Tried it and i also experienced it.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

23 minutes ago, AstroAlan said:

It should be fine and F@H will see it as another slot to assign work to.  Anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

20 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

More cards is more PPD. 

I have two 1070ti's running simultaneously (Project ITNOS), and as long as they're still running at the same frequency, I'm not able to measurable any loss in PPD due to a PCI-E saturation.

-snip-

19 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

Go for it.  If your CPU is idle it should have no issue managing the GPU work units in tandem nor should it have any bandwidth restrictions.  From what I know about the PCIe bandwidth unless it needs to talk to your CPU a lot like video games do for player data and textures to name two you should have more than enough.

Thanks fir the answers guys, I'll try adding the 1070TI to my system and see how it goes =D

2 minutes ago, Xsilent(X) said:

Whaler did use PSU powered risers on 2X lanes and he said it doesn't impact the PPD. Tried it and i also experienced it.

But the PCIe bandwidth requirements of Core-22 with more powerful cards is changing things. 

My 1080 is using 20% of the bus(16x PCIe 3.0), that would be more than one lane, a 2080ti could use more than this, by a factor of 3-4. meaning a 4x would be minimum. 

But it's not as simple as saying x number of lanes. Because you have PCH vs CPU lanes, and PCH lanes are more likely to be congested, which would have more of an impact.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Also, each PCIE generation doubles the bandwidth so PCIE 4.0 x8 = PCIE 3.0 x16 etc

~114001 PPD coming LTT's way :D

Plopped a GTX 670 in my main rig since i had it laying around, leaving it on full bore 24/7. May put my 2070 in overnight.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Just now, SCSI15 said:

Yep, it's been mentioned a few times on here now!

Still amazes me though

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, ShortRouter said:

Also, each PCIE generation doubles the bandwidth so PCIE 4.0 x8 = PCIE 3.0 x16 etc

Exactly, which is why I specifically said 3.0. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Yep, it's been mentioned a few times on here now!

Still amazes me though

i wonder how much higher it would go if we didn't have these issues with issuing WU's

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, GrockleTD said:

i wonder how much higher it would go if we didn't have these issues with issuing WU's

I suspect more than double if it's based on who's active vs total people incl. waiting.

1 minute ago, Plexas said:

Just got a CPU WU that'll take 4h30min to chew through on a 3700x :o

just got one myself after a wait but < 1hr same proc.

Just now, Inkertus said:

just got one myself after a wait but < 1hr same proc.

Chunky boy this one:

image.png.2f7c8bcf726ecf9321d5aa8d9e3dd128.png

how can we confirm that we have signed up for this event?

Edit: if you look on the XOC forum, the username "saksham" has 2 users with this same name. I am the one who is actively doing WU and getting points. during the vent, how can you be sure you do not pick the wrong one?

Edited by Saksham

Just now, Saksham said:

how can we confirm that we have signed up for this event?

at 2000 GMT I will be posting the most up to date list giving you all over 3 hours to confirm you are signed up and sorted. 

That is in around an hours time

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

oof... These cpu WU's are chonky and not paying out much. Am I not setting it aggressive enough?

image.png.ee6ab9fc1fbdd0b7b44865c91770489f.png