LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Do you think the F@H servers will be able to handle the increased pressure we are about to throw at it when the event starts?

I mean the number of folders has sky rocketed but i imagine once the event hits it's gonna increase even more?

Already it's barely able to give out jobs fast enough lol...

3 minutes ago, x17andrew71x said:

Do you think the F@H servers will be able to handle the increased pressure we are about to throw at it when the event starts?

I mean the number of folders has sky rocketed but i imagine once the event hits it's gonna increase even more?

Already it's barely able to give out jobs fast enough lol...

The "event" started when they posted the video and got all of the rest of us in here. Now that Fox news has taken this nationwide, it's just going to snowball.. what do you think?

3 minutes ago, mack1080 said:

The "event" started when they posted the video and got all of the rest of us in here. Now that Fox news has taken this nationwide, it's just going to snowball.. what do you think?

It has already snowballed pretty hard. Was in every tech publication (US and my language at least) plus some local and even Nationwide news stations!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

6 minutes ago, mack1080 said:

Now now, no need for hostility. 

Also the posting says:

"Starts March, 27th (00:00 GMT)"

so If it started early, I certainly never got the memo. I watched that episode calling for more folders, i don't remember them saying the event was changing dates. 

The time to start would be Thursday at 8pm for those in EST correct?

Just now, x17andrew71x said:

Also the posting says:

so If it started early, I certainly never got the memo. I watched that episode calling for more folders, i don't remember them saying the event was changing dates. 

Ehh, not sure why my message came across hostile! None intended :)

1 minute ago, x17andrew71x said:

Also the posting says:

Time to start hasn't been changed due to the massive number of people joining both F@H and the LTT team causing a lot more work for the mods. They're working to get lists and such made up to track user contributions and for prizes at the end. 

Just now, mack1080 said:

Ehh, not sure why my message came across hostile! None intended :)

Sorry if I misread it, seemed to be the case with the "what do you think" portion. No offense was taken though. We're all on the same team here anyway!

2 minutes ago, x17andrew71x said:

Sorry if I misread it, seemed to be the case with the "what do you think" portion. No offense was taken though. We're all on the same team here anyway!

ahh yes I meant that to continue the conversation :) Oops!! 

And yes we're on the same team but I think GOT is the only one on our team getting WUs!! lol everyone needs a captain haha

Went to go put together my new grill and came back to 38k points :D Now its rolling

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and the LTT folding team, but old to distributed computing. Folded off and on since it started. SETI prior to that. Used to fold for HardOCP. Got my i5-9600k and RTX 2060 churning on it now.

What is interesting to me is the difference in points for work units now compared to a long time ago. 1853 units turned in over the years gave me 228,100 points. I've just about passed that with 13 work units now. Would a work unit from back in the day be done in a few minutes now?

Happy to be here in the fold (get it?) and see these numbers ramp up like crazy in such a short time.

I dont know if there is a benefit to the software "trusting" your machine can complete jobs, but man since it started giving me the bonus points, it is now getting WU's one after another.  Like 5 seconds and it goes to another one after last one finishes.  And they are actually giving me the points now!

Image result for 80s guy made a cool hundred mil

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

42 minutes ago, SpiritWrath said:

Well...

1. Comment: If you have no clue what Folding@Home is, doing some research on the project isn't wrong, so neither is being skeptical, if you combine it with due research.

2. Comment: Anyone who takes that comment seriously fits into my narrow thinking of what fox "news" viewers are like.

3. Comment: Again, lacking information in itself isn't bad/reprehensible, not doing research on the thing you lack information on and basing your opinion on such uninformed "knowledge" is the problem.

Well, unfortunately, isn't that what the average person is these days? Shaking my head at the state of education these days.

To be fair, it is human nature to be tribal about things, humans tend to guard their own preconceptions, sometimes even in the face of indisputable evidence.

On a more related note, I hope LTT brings their own WU server up soon. We might crash the FAH servers, again... Crashing the WU servers are not quite helpful for furthering the cause of science.

First time folding, I have several machines to fire up. On my primary, does anyone think this will be an issue over the next month? Running on full load.

Screen Shot 03-25-20 at 04.50 AM.PNG

6 minutes ago, Zberg said:

I dont know if there is a benefit to the software "trusting" your machine can complete jobs, but man since it started giving me the bonus points, it is now getting WU's one after another.  Like 5 seconds and it goes to another one after last one finishes.  And they are actually giving me the points now!

Image result for 80s guy made a cool hundred mil

I was thinking the same thing, like once it realizes you're a dedicated user it just starts sending you jobs.. It started as a trickle but now its a flood, Or they coincidentally just got more servers up to meet the demand

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

13 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

Time to start hasn't been changed due to the massive number of people joining both F@H and the LTT team causing a lot more work for the mods. They're working to get lists and such made up to track user contributions and for prizes at the end. 

Ps... I'm not a mod,

(Mods except for @leadeater) Haven't directly helped in this at all. 

The start date didn't get chamged due to the server issues, nothing to do with the number of sign ups.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'm really hoping LTT and their ISP can help out the Folding@Home team with their bandwidth issues, seeing more log issues to suggest congestion than lack of WU.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

3 minutes ago, BlueSpartan said:

First time folding, I have several machines to fire up. On my primary, does anyone think this will be an issue over the next month? Running on full load.

Screen Shot 03-25-20 at 04.50 AM.PNG

I think you'll be fine, just make sure the voltages are sane, the stock settings should be safe for 24/7 running. Is that a 3600 I'm seeing?

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

(Mods except for @leadeater) Haven't directly helped in this at all. 

Me:

Image result for hes right you know

Also me:

Image result for what am i chopped liver

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

-snip-

You are much more useful than chopped liver to me.. Maybe because I'm a vegetarian but still...

On a side note, my local shop now sells vegetarian sweets!

I don't eat sweets often but every now and then I get a massive craving 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Woooo!!! Folding on 6 slots! First time in like 8 hours I got a GPU WU as well. Let her rip 😆

What will fold faster?

1x 2080 SUPER

or

2x 5700 XT

Thanks

1 minute ago, Daniel_SC said:

Let her rip

I had this problem after eating my 5 bean chilli yesterday... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240