Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

 

 

I'm actually quite amazed so many have been validated, over 7k validated by hand so far. 

 

I'm also quite amazing at how few dodgy sign up's we have had for once. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

 

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates
 

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

 

  • CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
Link to post
Share on other sites

My PC is folding with both my CPU (9900K) and GPU (RTX 2060) at the moment.  The GPU temps seem fine in the low to mid 60's.  But my CPU temps are in the low to mid 80's.  Every minute or two I am getting a warning from Windows that my CPU temperature has exceeded 81 or 82 or 83 or 84 degrees (it seems not to like temps in the 80's) and that prolonged use at this temperature can shorten its lifespan.  It appears that it will take a total of 30 minutes to complete the CPU WU and 90 minutes for the GPU WU.  The GPU WU seems much more important as it's estimated point value is 72,000 while the CPU unit is 3,300.  I don't care about the points.  I definitely overbuilt this PC for what I use it for and I am happy if some good comes from it.  But at the same I don't want to damage it.  

 

I tried taking off my side panels to help with cooling but it doesn't seem to have much effect on temps, I am guessing because it would have to be hotter to thermal throttle?  Should I be looking to to lower my CPU usage or looking to turn off/modify the Windows warnings?  After the CPU WU is done should I tell it to only use my GPU?  I don't want to damage my CPU for what might be (based on points anyway) less important work.  Or is there a way to tell the client only light CPU usage while go all out (or at least stay at medium) with the GPU?  I think that last one would be my preferred solution. Thanks for your help and advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit late of a reply on this one as I require sleep unlike half of you people here. :P

Quote

Not at all!  4 hours seems reasonable, I've (personally) seen Work Units that are expected to take between 1-2 days on older pentiums and celerons.

Try a GT 710 I mistakenly thought was enough to do anything.  It accepted the jobs as it could, but is isn't a good idea.  Same job on my 710 (before removal) took 2.5-5.5 days vs < 8 hrs on my GTX 1070.  Sucker got hot on that passive heatsink without a case fan too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

All entries as of 0330 last night have been validated, a full list will be posted later on today but names that failed validation have been posted in a list now.

 

May I just remind you that if a correction hasn't been posted by the first blog of the event, (Day One) then you will not be included in the event at all!

 

 

I want to make sure I'm validated. Will the list be posted here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ultra99 said:

I want to make sure I'm validated. Will the list be posted here?

...

The list will be posted on the blog like all the other lists have been

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

 

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates
 

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

 

  • CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly does it mean to be validated?  Is that a question of matching forum name to folding identity?   For what it's worth my folding identity is MikeMc10458.  I do want LTT to get credit for any points I earn.  I am going to turn my usage down to light though as my PC picked up another CPU WU right away.  This one has a 90 minute estimated time and I don't want another 90 minutes of pop up warnings (not to mention potential damage).  Is there a way to set my GPU to work harder than the CPU?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spawnholio said:

Doing alright for a 6 year old system with a laptop GPU. 🙃

ltt.png

What's the ETA on that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I'm actually quite amazed so many have been validated, over 7k validated by hand so far

Good news, I can script that now. Am I too late? 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Michael McChesney said:

What exactly does it mean to be validated?  Is that a question of matching forum name to folding identity?   For what it's worth my folding identity is MikeMc10458.  I do want LTT to get credit for any points I earn.  I am going to turn my usage down to light though as my PC picked up another CPU WU right away.  This one has a 90 minute estimated time and I don't want another 90 minutes of pop up warnings (not to mention potential damage).  Is there a way to set my GPU to work harder than the CPU?

Basically mens we have confirmed the LTT forum user exists.

 

Just now, leadeater said:

Good news, I can script that now. Am I too late? 🤣

Maybe a little... only like seven thousand entries or so too late... not like it has been literally 40-50 hours of work or anything... 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

 

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates
 

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

 

  • CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
Link to post
Share on other sites

That moment when you come back to FAH and realise that someone else has been folding under the same username as me in different teams xD

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@GOTSpectrum I'm not sure when, but we've surpassed LTT Folding Event 2019's viewership by 50% before the event's even started. And comments aernt far behind.

image.png.411760b5d2b7a276353c769ca7986edf.png

image.png.27414af19bd05c4dfe4c5253ec1993a4.png

All before the event's even officially started! We can most likely thank LTT for the dedicated video, as according to Mortis's data, new registrations are through the roof.

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/10813-colonel_mortis/?status=259393&type=status

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

 RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

What's the ETA on that?

On the GPU one? 9 hours and 34 minutes. Not fast but it's been running 24 hours/day for 2 days and completed 9 WU's which for how crap the PC is ...Basically I'm just happy to be helping.🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

@GOTSpectrum I'm not sure when, but we've surpassed LTT Folding Event 2019's viewership by 50% before the event's even started. And comments aernt far behind.

image.png.411760b5d2b7a276353c769ca7986edf.png

image.png.27414af19bd05c4dfe4c5253ec1993a4.png

All before the event's even officially started! We can most likely thank LTT for the dedicated video, as according to Mortis's data, new registrations are through the roof.

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/10813-colonel_mortis/?status=259393&type=status

It happened not long after the vid tbh, but yeah it is amazing to see!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

 

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates
 

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

 

  • CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

All before the event's even officially started! We can most likely thank LTT for the dedicated video, as according to Mortis's data, new registrations are through the roof.

The extremeoverclocking active user graph for the LTT team gives a pretty good representation of this...


Number of active users each day:
Active User History For LinusTechTips_Team

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Michael McChesney said:

My PC is folding with both my CPU (9900K) and GPU (RTX 2060) at the moment.  The GPU temps seem fine in the low to mid 60's.  But my CPU temps are in the low to mid 80's.  Every minute or two I am getting a warning from Windows that my CPU temperature has exceeded 81 or 82 or 83 or 84 degrees (it seems not to like temps in the 80's) and that prolonged use at this temperature can shorten its lifespan.  It appears that it will take a total of 30 minutes to complete the CPU WU and 90 minutes for the GPU WU.  The GPU WU seems much more important as it's estimated point value is 72,000 while the CPU unit is 3,300.  I don't care about the points.  I definitely overbuilt this PC for what I use it for and I am happy if some good comes from it.  But at the same I don't want to damage it.  

 

I tried taking off my side panels to help with cooling but it doesn't seem to have much effect on temps, I am guessing because it would have to be hotter to thermal throttle?  Should I be looking to to lower my CPU usage or looking to turn off/modify the Windows warnings?  After the CPU WU is done should I tell it to only use my GPU?  I don't want to damage my CPU for what might be (based on points anyway) less important work.  Or is there a way to tell the client only light CPU usage while go all out (or at least stay at medium) with the GPU?  I think that last one would be my preferred solution. Thanks for your help and advice.

How are you cooling your CPU?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also:

image.png.a1105f9ce43aa61ce949efc6cd5ff902.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

 RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to post
Share on other sites

prolly easy to script, if you have access, API call list of users, and just a if user not in list then = " what what" 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Technane said:

prolly easy to script, if you have access, API call list of users, and just a if user not in list then = " what what" 

No API access though...

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

 

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates
 

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

 

  • CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

No API access though...

If you have it in two files and its on windows its just a case of doing a

$file1 = Get-content c:\users.txt
$file2 = Get-content c:\forumusers.txt
compare-object $file1 $file2

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Technane said:

If you have it in two files and its on windows its just a case of doing a

$file1 = Get-content c:\users.txt
$file2 = Get-content c:\forumusers.txt
compare-object $file1 $file2

There is no way to pull a user list from the forum without administrator access or API key, nobody has either other than the forum admins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael McChesney said:

My PC is folding with both my CPU (9900K) and GPU (RTX 2060) at the moment.  The GPU temps seem fine in the low to mid 60's.  But my CPU temps are in the low to mid 80's.  Every minute or two I am getting a warning from Windows that my CPU temperature has exceeded 81 or 82 or 83 or 84 degrees (it seems not to like temps in the 80's) and that prolonged use at this temperature can shorten its lifespan.  It appears that it will take a total of 30 minutes to complete the CPU WU and 90 minutes for the GPU WU.  The GPU WU seems much more important as it's estimated point value is 72,000 while the CPU unit is 3,300.  I don't care about the points.  I definitely overbuilt this PC for what I use it for and I am happy if some good comes from it.  But at the same I don't want to damage it.  

 

I tried taking off my side panels to help with cooling but it doesn't seem to have much effect on temps, I am guessing because it would have to be hotter to thermal throttle?  Should I be looking to to lower my CPU usage or looking to turn off/modify the Windows warnings?  After the CPU WU is done should I tell it to only use my GPU?  I don't want to damage my CPU for what might be (based on points anyway) less important work.  Or is there a way to tell the client only light CPU usage while go all out (or at least stay at medium) with the GPU?  I think that last one would be my preferred solution. Thanks for your help and advice.

If it was me, I'd just run half the cpu threads (quite easy to change). CPU's are much less efficient at folding anyhow. Don't risk your shiny new CPU. IMO anything over low 70's is not the best for 24/7 operation, and ideally you'd be in the 60's most of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, leadeater said:

There is no way to pull a user list from the forum without administrator access or API key, nobody has either other than the forum admins.

I'd ask if you can ask them for that info but no IT guy worth their stuff would hand that over.  Short of asking them to do that I don't immediately see a way around the restrictions.  Maybe a clicker macro with pixel-specific areas to click with a key to start/stop it when you need to scroll?  That way you have some level of automation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

There is no way to pull a user list from the forum without administrator access or API key, nobody has either other than the forum admins.

Leadeater for Admin :ph34r:

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

 RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


×