LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Plexas said:

They simply dont have enough WU's to feed all the clients, all you can do is wait until you grab some.

It's weird because it keeps feeding my CPU just fine, but I haven't folded with my GPUs once in over 24 hours.

5 minutes ago, noname_9990 said:

It's weird because it keeps feeding my CPU just fine, but I haven't folded with my GPUs once in over 24 hours.

I think if you go on the web controller and stop folding then start again you can have a good chance of getting an assigned WU

So I am completing WUs on both systems, but on either when I try and click my name or do the web control one, it just keeps trying to refresh and never can "find" me.  I have a name, team ID, and passkey.  

Does it normally take a while for it to register?  I want to see the numbers go high!!!!!!!!!!

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

1 hour ago, Small Turdle said:

I have been experimenting and I want to share what I found.  I have installed Folding@Home on several different computers.

Did you install Folding@Home on older hardware? Is your computer effective?

There is a simple way to figure this out.  Look at two numbers.  In the Folding@Home Advanced Control.

Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get a reasonable number calculated.  Let it run to at least 5% before you make a comparison.

Look at "Base Credit" and "Estimated Credit".

If they are the same number.  That machine can not keep up.  It is not worth it in my opinion.

Ideally you want the "Estimated Credit" to be a higher number then the "Base Credit".

These two numbers are the same when the folding will not be completed before the Timeout.  Once the timeout is reached the WU will be assigned to another machine.  Then even when your machine finishes the WU.  It is too late and a different machine in the world has already started working on the exact same WU.

You can find more information at this link.

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/running-foldinghome/

When I saw this reply and checked it, I saw whether my computer (i5 8250u, mx150) would fit the timing in just a few hours or miss it by a few hours. And I'm talking about expiration, not just timeout. Since my primary goal was to help and as far as I can see, the time constraints are longer, I decided to switch to BOINC so that I would do the same job at BOINC and help less interested Rosetta@home Project which is also Works for finding cure for COVID-19, and also at F@H when ı leave a WU to make room for faster computers than mine waiting. The reason I wrote this is to warn owner of lower level computer friends like me, if your Base and Estimated Credits are the same, you are probably doing it in vain because you will probably miss expiration date and all data for WU will be wiped and you will not get any credits. So if your goal is to help, you can check out Rosetta@home (there are instructions at their site if you want to install it) and switch to BOINC.

8 minutes ago, Zberg said:

So I am completing WUs on both systems, but on either when I try and click my name or do the web control one, it just keeps trying to refresh and never can "find" me.  I have a name, team ID, and passkey.  

Does it normally take a while for it to register?  I want to see the numbers go high!!!!!!!!!!

Official stats server is overcrowded too. Use this instead: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/

Updated every 3 hours.

3 minutes ago, Will Treaty said:

When I saw this reply and checked it, I saw whether my computer (i5 8250u, mx150) would fit the timing in just a few hours or miss it by a few hours. And I'm talking about expiration, not just timeout. Since my primary goal was to help and as far as I can see, the time constraints are longer, I decided to switch to BOINC so that I would do the same job at BOINC and help less interested Rosetta@home Project which is also Works for finding cure for COVID-19, and also at F@H when ı leave a WU to make room for faster computers than mine waiting. The reason I wrote this is to warn owner of lower level computer friends like me, if your Base and Estimated Credits are the same, you are probably doing it in vain because you will probably miss expiration date and all data for WU will be wiped and you will not get any credits. So if your goal is to help, you can check out Rosetta@home (there are instructions at their site if you want to install it) and switch to BOINC.

Where are the "estimated' and "base credit" numbers?

Pretty cool concept.  Just signed up for this forum and for LTT team.  Bringing my GeForce GTX 1660 super.  Should be able to blow all you guys out of the water with this... haha. 

12 minutes ago, noname_9990 said:

Where are the "estimated' and "base credit" numbers?

folding-at-home-control_LI.thumb.jpg.996e1afacad7d3bf03615ca1a9929882.jpg

Sorry for late reply, ı was trying to find a screenshot for showing it properly. You can look at it at advanced control menu. If these two are equal even if you put it at full you will probably miss it. And if they are close you should run it 7/24 for being sure to get credits.

I just started folding a few hours ago.

While my CPU usage is above 95%, the GPU usage is stuck at 40%.

Is this how it's supposed to be?

In Hardware monitor, it's showing that only the GPU is being used at a 100%. The rest, Memory, Frame Buffer, Video Engine and Bus Interface are showing normal usage. So, is this the reason for the 40% usage?

From what I understand, the percentage showed in task manager shows the usage considering all the aforementioned attributes. Am I right?

I mean my GPU temps are near 75-80 degrees Celsius. So it must be utilizing it. 

I've included a screenshot of HW monitor and Task Manager.

gpu1.PNG

gpu2.PNG

1 minute ago, Classified101 said:

Task manager is shit. Use MSI afterburner or any other program that can show realtime hardware info.

cuda task manager.PNG

4 minutes ago, Classified101 said:

I just started folding a few hours ago.

In Hardware monitor, it's showing that only the GPU is being used at a 100%. The rest, Memory, Frame Buffer, Video Engine and Bus Interface are showing normal usage. So, is this the reason for the 40% usage?

From what I understand, the percentage showed in task manager shows the usage considering all the aforementioned attributes. Am I right?

I mean my GPU temps are near 75-80 degrees Celsius. So it must be utilizing it. 

I've included a screenshot of HW monitor and Task Manager.

gpu1.PNG

gpu2.PNG

Task manger is showing the same with my 1080 but afterburner is showing 100%  usage

Hello! Signed up LTT forums and folding also after watching the video.

My piddly 1060 isn't going to do much but anything to shorten the timeline...

Few bugs from folding@home - 

1) this weird glitch

image.png.cca7b93389f03baef5b880431d51e165.png

2) my CPU has been 'ready' for something for a few hours now, (done one but now at ready state, been running it all day)

3) is there a way to priorities coronavirus solutions? as much as I want to cure cancer I feel this is slightly more priority.

4) I'm still waiting for my passkey but im not looking for any record setting tbh so no biggie

2 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Task manager is shit. Use MSI afterburner or any other program that can show realtime hardware info.

cuda task manager.PNG

okay, I switched it to Cuda in the task manager. It's showing 97% utilization.

As for monitoring, I'm using HW monitor. I was just a bit confused after seeing task manager.

1 minute ago, Classified101 said:

As for monitoring, I'm using HW monitor. I was just a bit confused after seeing task manager.

I have the same, I think thats the normal state for this type of calculation.

Just now, Rune said:

It might be beneficial to add the "why does windows say I'm only using 50% GPU" to the OP.

You're right. I'm sure many others might be having the same confusion.

How do I do that?

Repeating what has been said many times before in this thread,

Most of the issues people are experiencing at the moment are being caused by the F@H servers being overloaded, the number of users trying to access the servers have increased severalfold in a very short time. 

This means,

It is difficult to get WUs, your system is most likely working correctly if you have had a least one, so it you are not getting more then it likely because there are no WUs available and you should wait, how long, how long is a piece of string?

It may take a long time to receive your passkey so be patient, again how long is a piece of string?

It takes time for your stats to update so relax, it can take hours, even a day or more for them to update so I wouldn't sit around refreshing it every few minutes.

Nobody in the thread has a crystal ball and because of this are unfortunately unable to answer questions referring to how long the servers will take to perform given tasks, so we all have to wait and be patient 👍

Does anyone know if/when FaH will allow CPUs to contribute to COVID-19 folding?

9 minutes ago, llk2oll said:

Hello! Signed up LTT forums and folding also after watching the video.

My piddly 1060 isn't going to do much but anything to shorten the timeline...

Few bugs from folding@home - 

1) this weird glitch

image.png.cca7b93389f03baef5b880431d51e165.png

2) my CPU has been 'ready' for something for a few hours now, (done one but now at ready state, been running it all day)

3) is there a way to priorities coronavirus solutions? as much as I want to cure cancer I feel this is slightly more priority.

4) I'm still waiting for my passkey but im not looking for any record setting tbh so no biggie

Welcome to the team!

What is the glitch your showing in the 1)?

If its been hours, try pausing and restarting to try and get a new CPU client. You can do this in the advanced view, just pause the CPU task for about a minute, then start it again. That will kick it to try and get a new work server. They are VERY overloaded right now, so, its possible it will take a bit.

There is no "corona" option right now. Long technical reason, but if you pick any disease they are HIGHLY prioritizing corona work.

They are trying to keep the actual work servers up and running and fed with new WU's, the stats system is... very secondary at this time. The starts ARE being tracked, but the server that reports them to us and sends keys is being effectively DDOSed by all of these new folks. Its DDOS out of love tho, so its ok. lol. Just be patient :)

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

11 minutes ago, Classified101 said:

yeah don't trust the built-in task manager.

1 minute ago, Excalibur20 said:

They already do. If your CPU isn't folding it might just be waiting for a WU due to too many requests like outlined in the big blue box

Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, EVGA 3090 Hybrid FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Lian Li O11 Air Mini White

Plex/Minecraft Server: Dell PowerEdge T320, Xeon E5-2470 v2, 48GB RAM, 19.25TB storage, RTX A2000 6GB

Tablet: iPad Pro 11” M1

13 minutes ago, Dicenitro said:

Task manger is showing the same with my 1080 but afterburner is showing 100%  usage

Change one of the options to be CUDA in task manager. Where it says copy for instance, there is a drop down, select CUDA. Folding uses CUDA, and that will show ~97-98% :)

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

3 minutes ago, Excalibur20 said:

They are. They are just very overloaded with all the love we are showing towards the cause... They can't keep their servers fed with new work, and their servers are being HAMMERED by all of us. Just be patient, there is plenty of COVID work to do. If its been over an hour and your client doesn't have a job, you can pause and restart. This will kick it to try and get a new work server to get WU's from. Don't do this too often tho, because excessive pings will just make their servers slower.