LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 hour ago, MaverickCreative said:

I think this may have happened. I have been folding for a few day since I heard that I could.. Since watching the LTT video I switched my team to LTT and nothing has computed ever since. Thoughts? I have 2 machines running on this by the way on two different networks and different locations geographically.. I also took LTT's advice and created a passkey - Could this be the issue preventing any folding from happening?

All good. Back online - Probably just the server thing Linus mentioned. Didn't expect it to take over 8 hours to start a work unit! Happy folding fellow quarantinees.

3 minutes ago, SRLRacing said:

I've had my machine signed up for 24+ hours and still have yet to receive a WU. I'm feeling a bit lonely now. 😢

I killed the app like 3 time until I hit a good server...

was noticing that my crap laptop was receiving WU  from IP X and my desktop was trying to reach Y!!!

The server IP are here: https://apps.foldingathome.org/serverstats

now both are working

Anyone have any experience with how this will impact a Plex server on the same computer?  I've got a 2070super with an older 4790k in my Plex server and I'd like to add F@H but don't want to murder it.  Lots of users who are stuck at home with nothing to do who I wouldn't want to abandon.  Can f@h and plex play nice?

2 minutes ago, SRLRacing said:

I've had my machine signed up for 24+ hours and still have yet to receive a WU. I'm feeling a bit lonely now. 😢

All about luck. After I submit a WU sometimes the next one queues right up, sometimes I have to wait half an hour.

Here's mine, does it seem right?

Also, any chance NOT being verified for this event?

Screenshot from 2020-03-23 19-27-00.png

6 minutes ago, Cerberus044 said:

Anyone have any experience with how this will impact a Plex server on the same computer?  I've got a 2070super with an older 4790k in my Plex server and I'd like to add F@H but don't want to murder it.  Lots of users who are stuck at home with nothing to do who I wouldn't want to abandon.  Can f@h and plex play nice?

Yes, if you delete the CPU slot in the FAH advanced control.

2 minutes ago, ultra99 said:

Here's mine, does it seem right?

Also, any chance NOT being verified for this event?

Screenshot from 2020-03-23 19-27-00.png

Look ok, I have had that situation, you seem stuck in a "send" event... maybe try pause, wait 10sec an enable again.

Guys,

If you would like LTT to do more Folding stuff then make sure you watch the folding vid, comment, like, share. 

Hell why not watch it a second time! Let's get that viewer count up! Go guys, lets mobilise! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I've been watching LTT since ~2014-2015, back when they still had issues to iron out with the Whole House Watercooling project; I didn't feel the need to join the LTT forums, but when I saw the F@H video, I had to chip in.
Already crunched my first WUs for the LTT Team on my 2700x + 1080Ti (~1.2m PPD approx), I just hope I get enough WUs to keep my PC busy (I've waited around 2-3hrs for a WU for my GPU at times) :D

17 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Yes, if you delete the CPU slot in the FAH advanced control.

Yeah I only fold on gpu.  Just so much more efficient.  I've got it running alongside two transcodes at the moment and it seems to chug along fine so far.

1 minute ago, Cerberus044 said:

Yeah I only fold on gpu.  Just so much more efficient.  I've got it running alongside two transcodes at the moment and it seems to chug along fine so far.

Yeah as long as you don't have hardware transcoding enabled (requires paid plex pass) and don't use CPU to fold you are fine.

I seem to be consistently getting WU for my CPU, but none for my GPUs. Is this normal? Is there something I can change in my settings to ensure I get WUs for all 3? I couldn't find anything regarding this in the FAQ. Under the "slots" section in "configure" tab I have 2 gpu selected. I also have "folding core priority" set to "slightly higher" in the "advanced" tab. I have folding power set to "full" and when set to "while I'm working"

2 minutes ago, noname_9990 said:

I seem to be consistently getting WU for my CPU, but none for my GPUs. Is this normal? Is there something I can change in my settings to ensure I get WUs for all 3? I couldn't find anything regarding this in the FAQ. Under the "slots" section in "configure" tab I have 2 gpu selected. I also have "folding core priority" set to "slightly higher" in the "advanced" tab. I have folding power set to "full" and when set to "while I'm working"

yes CPU and GPU workloads are independent, but set folding core priotity to lowest possible. slightly higher will only make your system unresponsive and you won't gain any more folding performance.

Finally getting some consistent work out of my rig! Started F@h yesterday around noon and didn't have anything until like 10am MST today, and now it's been going steady for the last 6ish hours both CPU and GPU, little to no down time that I've noticed. My i7 8700k @4.8GHz and 980ti OCed to 1550MHz are getting around 1.15m PPD.

Looks like we were just waiting for all the boffins to get back to their labs and set up more WUs.

4 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

Finally getting some consistent work out of my rig! Started F@h yesterday around noon and didn't have anything until like 10am MST today, and now it's been going steady for the last 6ish hours both CPU and GPU, little to no down time that I've noticed. My i7 8700k @4.8GHz and 980ti OCed to 1550MHz are getting around 1.15m PPD.

Looks like we were just waiting for all the boffins to get back to their labs and set up more WUs.

Keep an eye on those 980ti temps! Folding goes full ham on your GPU completely maxing it out. It doesn't like OC too much, even slight OC can lead to erros and finished results rejected. So not recommended and also not power efficient. Many downvolt and set lower power limits to get to the performance/Watt sweetspot.

2 minutes ago, noname_9990 said:

Totally new to this so like take everything that follows as ignorant conjecture.

I haven't had any issues getting WUs for my single GPU, maybe try setting up multiple slots each with a single GPU? It could be that there are special considerations that need to be taken to build a WU that will run on a multi GPU work slot...

again I have no clue what I'm talking about I'm an aerospace engineer not a software engineer and only have enough programming skills to set up the rudimentary simulations I utilize.

5 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Keep an eye on those 980ti temps! Folding goes full ham on your GPU completely maxing it out. It doesn't like OC too much, even slight OC can lead to erros and finished results rejected.

it's under water, whole systems under a custom loop, GPU sitting at a comfy 60.0 C and CPU at 67-68 C for the last 6 hours I've been keeping an eye on it.

I've been checking the log and haven't noticed it give any errors or rejected results, I had read about that so wanted to watch for it. I assume that if results are rejected something would show in the log correct?

Delided the CPU about 2 months ago and did the liquid metal treatment, idel temps dropped a solid 20C and load temps are down 10-15C

Just now, REDYul said:

Did any of you got this:

LTT.err.png

Yep... We may be straining the forum wit hall the new members... Unlikely but who knows 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

Totally new to this so like take everything that follows as ignorant conjecture.

I haven't had any issues getting WUs for my single GPU, maybe try setting up multiple slots each with a single GPU? It could be that there are special considerations that need to be taken to build a WU that will run on a multi GPU work slot...

again I have no clue what I'm talking about I'm an aerospace engineer not a software engineer and only have enough programming skills to set up the rudimentary simulations I utilize.

IT looks like I was misunderstanding the settings. Apparently the settings are used to select which GPU is used when a WU is assigned. It can also be used to tweak the cuda and open-cl indexes. Supposedly this may be necessary because the system may have an error identifying the type of core. Adjusting the numbers can eliminate the error, somehow. However, it can also cause the folding slot to fail if set up incorrectly.

They're in a hurry to push these out no doubt 😛 

spacer.png

Does anybody know how to fix the following error from FAH? It is keeping me from folding with my GPUs and only using my CPU. 

00:09:24:WARNING:WU03:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
00:09:24:ERROR:WU03:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment

1 minute ago, noname_9990 said:

Does anybody know how to fix the following error from FAH? It is keeping me from folding with my GPUs and only using my CPU. 

00:09:24:WARNING:WU03:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration

They simply dont have enough WU's to feed all the clients, all you can do is wait until you grab some.

5 minutes ago, noname_9990 said:

It just means that whatever work server is being pinged it doesn't have any WUs that can be run on your set up.

The only thing you can try doing is changing your slot settings, but again there isn't a lot you can do there. I don't actually know how specific WUs can be on what kind of hard ware they will run on.

Edit: not much help but https://foldingathome.org/faqs/gpu2-common/frequently-asked-questions-common-ati-nvidia-gpu2-clients-2/multi-gpu-support/