LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

if I run this on my laptop will it reduce the life span on my laptop?

Want to help you guys out, have a Ryzen 3950X with a RTX 2700. Just signed up and never did this thing before :D

Would it be useful to use the CPU for folding here or rather just keep the GPU busy?

7 minutes ago, cyberphy said:

if I run this on my laptop will it reduce the life span on my laptop?

as long as the thermals aren't extreme, it shouldn't 

14 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

my 2060 hits over 1M PPD, around 1.1-1.3M 

My 2070 super estimates around 1.7 to 1.8 - i am curious to see if i can make that happen when the event starts and i let my PC run F@H for a complete day and night cycle. Have not done that yet, too much other stuff to do 😮

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

Does anyone have the issue of GPU slot resetting to 0% after some time? idk what to do seems like whenever the slot pauses it resets..

Question for the smart guys here.

If I set from full, to medium, to light it seems CPU goes from cores -1, to cores -2, to half cores.  

GPU however, seems on or off.  It looks like its FULL-on MED-on LIGHT -off.

Is this the case?  Is there a difference between full and med>?

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

is the server down or is it just me? 

14:41:01:ERROR:WU01:FS00:Exception: Failed to connect to 40.114.52.201:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

1 minute ago, cyberphy said:

is the server down or is it just me? 

14:41:01:ERROR:WU01:FS00:Exception: Failed to connect to 40.114.52.201:80: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

That happens regularily, might be because they have difficulties to distribute over all the available capacity

10 minutes ago, ReneBrain said:

Want to help you guys out, have a Ryzen 3950X with a RTX 2700. Just signed up and never did this thing before :D

Would it be useful to use the CPU for folding here or rather just keep the GPU busy?

The GPU is the heavy lifter, but every bit counts. If you want to only dedicate the GPU to the cause.

If you want to run both AND still be able to use your PC, you can go to the advanced tab and turn the amount of threads the CPU job is working and leave, say, 4-6 threads open (so input something like 26). That will give you enough CPU power to actually use the PC normally (when your gaming, obviously pause all workers), and when your just using the internet, you won't even notice. I have my 8700k and RTX 2080 working, 8700k is at ~80%, and I can use my PC totally normally.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Question for the smart guys here.

If I set from full, to medium, to light it seems CPU goes from cores -1, to cores -2, to half cores.  

GPU however, seems on or off.  It looks like its FULL-on MED-on LIGHT -off.

Is this the case?  Is there a difference between full and med>?

check out -> https://foldingathome.org/faqs/fah-v7/v7-introduction/web-control/folding-power-slider/

Aorus X570 Xtreme | Ryzen 3900X | Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme  | G.Skill Trident Z 64GB 3200 MHz  CL14

9 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

The GPU is the heavy lifter, but every bit counts. If you want to only dedicate the GPU to the cause.

If you want to run both AND still be able to use your PC, you can go to the advanced tab and turn the amount of threads the CPU job is working and leave, say, 4-6 threads open (so input something like 26). That will give you enough CPU power to actually use the PC normally (when your gaming, obviously pause all workers), and when your just using the internet, you won't even notice. I have my 8700k and RTX 2080 working, 8700k is at ~80%, and I can use my PC totally normally.

Cool, thank you. Got it. I am letting my RTX crunch some numbers against cancer right now while my CPU is waiting to get a task.

I don't know if i've missed it but can we also use multiple devices for the ltt folding challenge? I have an fx-8350 with an rx380 staying in the corner doing nothing which has been replaced with my current machine and also the pc from my girlfriend which isn's used that much right now (ryzen 2600X with GTX 1050). I know they aren't killer machines but i could use them too :)

Is there specific work unit I should send to my CPU for covid-19. My current work unit is not for covid-19 research. Has anyone looked at their web Control to see what projects are being worked on? 

2020-03-23_11-00-25.png.9ca3c164d91c375963db1e8f2c3488d8.png

Since we have to set the tab to "Any disease" it happens that other research gets pushed in between from time to time, you can't influence this

38 minutes ago, Gallardo006 said:

What badge is after bronze again? 10 million points?

Its 1 mill :)

38 minutes ago, Gallardo006 said:

What badge is after bronze again? 10 million points?

Silver, 25M

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Im trowing in the towel. My temps are too high. I can do my part to  help fight COVID-19 in a different manner.

1 minute ago, sameftek said:

Is there specific workload I should send to my CPU for covid-19. My current workload is not for covid-19 research. Has anyone looked at their web Control to see what projects are being worked on? 

2020-03-23_11-00-25.png.9ca3c164d91c375963db1e8f2c3488d8.png

Just makes sure have have it set to "Any Disease" and it will work on Coronavirus when its available 

1 minute ago, Spovox said:

Im trowing in the towel. My temps are too high. I can do my part to  help fight COVID-19 in a different manner.

Did you try undervolting?

31 minutes ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

My 2070 super estimates around 1.7 to 1.8 - i am curious to see if i can make that happen when the event starts and i let my PC run F@H for a complete day and night cycle. Have not done that yet, too much other stuff to do 😮

Spoiler: you won't get 1.8M points because you will run out WU
I'm from EU and i have no more WU since America wake up

Just now, ThatExceptionThough said:

Did you try undervolting?

No I have not....because I dont know what to set it to.

3 minutes ago, cyberphy said:

Just makes sure have have it set to "Any Disease" and it will work on Coronavirus when its available 

Thanks, I have it set to that. 

Just now, Spovox said:

No I have not....because I dont know what to set it to.

Are you running an intel CPU? 

2 minutes ago, Spovox said:

if your case bad for airflow, try fold on custom settings or low

1 minute ago, oeris said:

Spoiler: you won't get 1.8M points because you will run out WU
I'm from EU and i have no more WU since America wake up

Too true! I get most of the stuff done very early mornings.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q