LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

3 minutes ago, Vodad said:

quick question,  about how many PPD should I expect with a 3900x and a 5700xt?

looking at other people's mine seems kind of low at less than 100k

This is pretty dependent on wich WUs you get and atm on if you are experiencing WU shortages.

rough estimates for GPU numbers can be found here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/475163-gpu-projects-ppd-database.html

CPU: My 3900x does about 400k on linux having allocated 21t to CPU F@H. A lot less on Windows....

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

5 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Thats pretty low for this card. But PPD numbers need some time to be correct.... and before that they need a constant WU flow. So yeha. Just wait and sit tight. 

Probably because I paused it twice and I am only running GPU. Also its only using 93% core for some reason. Its 256k/d now.

I love Linux, I love OS X. I love Windows. I H8 1137

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

This is pretty dependent on wich WUs you get and atm on if you are experiencing WU shortages.

rough estimates for GPU numbers can be found here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/475163-gpu-projects-ppd-database.html

CPU: My 3900x does about 400k on linux having allocated 21t to CPU F@H. A lot less on Windows....

I noticed you had just posted above me right after I hit submit.  Probably just need to give it a day or two before it shows real numbers

Thanks

| CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: Trident Z Neo 32GB(2x16) 3600 | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT Ultimate | Storage: Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 | Storage: 2TB Seagate 7200RPM  | Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic PCMR | PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G6 80+ Gold| Display: Pixio PX7 Prime | Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite Capellix

Just now, Darkjacky said:

Probably because I paused it twice and I am only running GPU. Also its only using 93% core for some reason. Its 256k/d now.

So only GPU but the 3900x is used to 93%? 😮 

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

So only GPU but the 3900x is used to 93%? 😮 

Well yes I have a 3900x but no its not using 93% on that. That is only doing 6% or 1 core. The GPU core is sitting at 93% not 99% idk why.

1 minute ago, Darkjacky said:
4 minutes ago, zestay said:

980ti getting 88k points per day. 

RTX 2080 Super sitting at 250k/d right now. Though it took a random project as they ran out of projects when it started. Its running project 14310 atm.

i'm getting 40K, thats not good...

i've been having issues with getting the GPU side of things working. (NVIDIA 1070)

i got it working for one job by enabling the cuda-index in the folding slot settings, but it failed to do another, i got it working again by enabling both cuda-index and the opencl-index then disabling opencl after i stopped it, changed the setting, and restarted the job, but i have a sneaking suspension that it'll just fail to do another, looks like i'm babysitting it today.

the only one that works consistently is the CPU, i want to get my gpu working since my i5-8600K is not that great for CPU based tasks, i mainly utilize my GPU for any hardware acceleration capable software. (e.g premire pro)

i won't look into it now unless it fails again.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Just now, Darkjacky said:

Well yes I have a 3900x but no its not using 93% on that. That is only doing 6% or 1 core. The GPU core is sitting at 93% not 99% idk why.

AHHH I see! Thats normal and depending on your GPU a reporting error or connected to how the usage is measured. Just make sure to have the latest driver and stuff!

So what I have seen on windows with my 3900x is that folding on half of it will tank the GPU performance (5700xt that is in my case) folding on 21t, having 2 for GPU and one for Win background tanks the GPU perf even more. Thats why I switched everything to Linux.

Got a 14310 core 21 going, not worth alot of points, slow to fold and not Corona related but I'll fold it anyway and see what I get next.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

i'm getting 40K, thats not good...

i've been having issues with getting the GPU side of things working. (NVIDIA 1070)

i got it working for one job by enabling the cuda-index in the folding slot settings, but it failed to do another, i got it working again by enabling both cuda-index and the opencl-index then disabling opencl after i stopped it, changed the setting, and restarted the job, but i have a sneaking suspension that it'll just fail to do another, looks like i'm babysitting it today.

the only one that works consistently is the CPU, i want to get my gpu working since my i5-8600K is not that great for CPU based tasks, i mainly utilize my GPU for any hardware acceleration capable software. (e.g premire pro)

i won't look into it now unless it fails again.

so IF it fails try to manually set OpenCL and CUDA. As far as I know Core22 (the one used for the C19 stuff) doesn't use CUDA (90% sure on this). Its all OpenCL/ML

Hello there, 

just joined today, so only have a few thousand points on my R5 2600 + RX 580

do any of you guys wonder how would Linus' new Compensator fold?

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

Got a 14310 core 21 going, not worth alot of points, slow to fold and not Corona related but I'll fold it anyway and see what I get next.

This is IMPORTANT! Dont skip WUs because they are not Corona! F@H will manage how work is distributed and the F@H projects are on high priority. But other research cant stand still.

4 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

So what I have seen on windows with my 3900x is that folding on half of it will tank the GPU performance (5700xt that is in my case) folding on 21t, having 2 for GPU and one for Win background tanks the GPU perf even more. Thats why I switched everything to Linux.

I'm just a noob here, but I've read that thread numbers divisible by prime numbers higher than 5 are problematic (no higher than 3 is supposed to be optimal). 21 = 7 * 3, so try running 20t CPU and see if this magically helps

2 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Same! Better than nothing I guess.

1 minute ago, thomas2000 said:

do any of you guys wonder how would Linus' new Compensator fold?

The new Compensator build had two Titan RTX's in it didn't it?

LTT's 6 editors 1 PC with 6 Titan V's(?) which @jakkuh_t is actually using to fold with right now would probably outperform it. From his twitter post he's hitting almost 14M PPD estimate from it, though it's probably also getting hit by the WU availability/download issues.

If the Compensator hasn't been dismantled yet or isn't in use for other videos maybe they should run folding on both systems to see which performs better :P

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, thomas2000 said:

I'm just a noob here, but I've read that thread numbers divisible by prime numbers higher than 5 are problematic (no higher than 3 is supposed to be optimal). 21 = 7 * 3, so try running 20t CPU and see if this magically helps

Funny that you say that, I was actually seeing weirdness on my 3900x when running 24t. I went into task manager and turned off 4 and that went away. So I think you might be correct here.

Just got a 11714 WU. RTX 2080 Super 1.2M PPD.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

image.thumb.png.f964490a5ed8f2588f5a3afc1693366c.png

Welcome back my pretty 😍 Tomorrow 5700XT and maybe just maybe my dual 5640's. Sadly it's not working on a COVID unit but something is still something

Thats pretty low for this card. But PPD numbers need some time to be correct.... and before that they need a constant WU flow. So yeha. Just wait and sit tight. 

It could also be the WU I remember some being really bad for points.

18 minutes ago, Darkjacky said:

Funny that you say that, I was actually seeing weirdness on my 3900x when running 24t. I went into task manager and turned off 4 and that went away. So I think you might be correct here.

That would be F@H using all threads, with no spares for the system, I imagine, because the math should be ok 24 = 2 * 2 * 2 * 3

Had some weirdness as well after selecting full power while working. Had to hard reset the PC

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If the Compensator hasn't been dismantled yet or isn't in use for other videos maybe they should run folding on both systems to see which performs better :P

The Battle of Titans. 

I would say Compensator can pull ahead if they use CPU sockets as well :)

btw is anyone using folding for system warmup, to bring it to "thermal equilibrium" for benchmarks instead of Prime or Aida?

2 minutes ago, thomas2000 said:

That would be F@H using all threads, with no spares for the system, I imagine, because the math should be ok 24 = 2 * 2 * 2 * 3

Had some weirdness as well after selecting full power while working. Had to hard reset the PC

It was using 87% cpu and task manager showed non of them were doing 100% they were all doing this up and down thing at 80-95%. When I disabled 4 cores that usage went to 100% on every selected thread.

Anyone else not getting an WU's?

Had it going fine last night and this morning before work but when I got home it was like this:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0a6c07aa41790bf1ff2287e22d33db0e.png

Just started and a little confused and want to make sure I'm doing it right. Should it be set to "Any Disease"? image.png.16000e2c83e0406e9725c4a5453c8108.png

11 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Anyone else not getting an WU's?

It's because everyone is so amazing they ran out of jobs to give. Just have to wait and just get what you can get for now.

Edit:

They should just hand out Linpack jobs when there are none lol. Would also be cool to get an aggregated performance benchmark of the distributed grid 😀 

Hey, going to start folding to really help, mostly with the human maleware going on. Does my user name need to be the same as I put for my passkey name request? Also what's the group #? :D

On 3/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, yaboistar said:

Let’s go crash FAH’s work servers again!

I came back to both my systems stuck on download again, so that's still a thing apparently. I don't remember that happening with the windows client last time, but I moved to Linux pretty early on last folding month