Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What in hell are all those different versions of the same cards?

Im trying to buy an intermediate card before I buy a next gen monster because my current old card I think it's about to die since Furmark makes it glitch then reset so do games...

 

So anyway, Im looking at for instance, 1060 Super, and I was interested in Asus because they have this "0db technology" that stop fans below a safe temp and I hate noise. But there's TOO MANY CARDS:

 

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-tuf-3-geforce-gtx-1660-super-oc-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-tuf-gaming-geforce-gtx-1660-super-oc-edition-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-rog-strix-geforce-gtx-1660-super-advanced-edition-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-dual-geforce-gtx-1660-super-advanced-evo-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-tuf-gaming-geforce-gtx-1660-super-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-tuf-gaming-x3-geforce-gtx-1660-super-advanced-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-phoenix-geforce-gtx-1660-super-6gb-gddr6

 

Are you guys kidding me? How im supposed to choose one? Which one should I buy? Do all have the 0db thing? Also is the 0db mode safe long term?

 

Anyway, which should I buy for around that price range? I just want to have this for a year or so, then buy 3080 RTX or whatever is out there by then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make that decision super easy for yourself and don't buy from Asus. Their warranty and support is horrible and you won't want to buy from them.

 

The difference between all of them is the cooler

 

If you just want a placeholder gpu for a while, look at a used RX 580 or used 1070- they're fairly cheap and well performing for their dollar amount.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

Im trying to buy an intermediate card before I buy a next gen monster because my current old card I think it's about to die since Furmark makes it glitch then reset so do games...

 

So anyway, Im looking at for instance, 1060 Super, and I was interested in Asus because they have this "0db technology" that stop fans below a safe temp and I hate noise. But there's TOO MANY CARDS:

 

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-tuf-3-geforce-gtx-1660-super-oc-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-tuf-gaming-geforce-gtx-1660-super-oc-edition-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-rog-strix-geforce-gtx-1660-super-advanced-edition-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-dual-geforce-gtx-1660-super-advanced-evo-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-tuf-gaming-geforce-gtx-1660-super-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-tuf-gaming-x3-geforce-gtx-1660-super-advanced-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-phoenix-geforce-gtx-1660-super-6gb-gddr6

 

Are you guys kidding me? How im supposed to choose one? Which one should I buy? Do all have the 0db thing? Also is the 0db mode safe long term?

 

Anyway, which should I buy for around that price range? I just want to have this for a year or so, then buy 3080 RTX or whatever is out there by then.

0db is safe most of the time, you should pick the card that 

1. has good reviews

2. has good cooling

3. is best for your circumastances

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Make that decision super easy for yourself and don't buy from Asus. Their warranty and support is horrible and you won't want to buy from them.

 

The difference between all of them is the cooler

 

If you just want a placeholder gpu for a while, look at a used RX 580 or used 1070- they're fairly cheap and well performing for their dollar amount.

Damn, I was liking the idea of a dead silent GPU while im working in audio... do the Gigabyte ones allow you to set fan curves and have 0 db when not needed? I dont want innecessary noise when im not using it.

 

Id rather buy something new, I dont want the nightmare of having problems with an used GPU.

 

Assuming Gigabyte is good, and they have a software for CPU fan curves.... is it the same software that at the same time controls the case and CPU fans? because I don't want any software overriding the fan curves set in the BIOS (that is why I uninstalled the System Information Viewer software)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MS-DOS said:

Damn, I was liking the idea of a dead silent GPU while im working in audio... do the Gigabyte ones allow you to set fan curves and have 0 db when not needed? I dont want innecessary noise when im not using it.

 

Id rather buy something new, I dont want the nightmare of having problems with an used GPU.

 

Assuming Gigabyte is good, and they have a software for CPU fan curves.... is it the same software that at the same time controls the case and CPU fans? because I don't want any software overriding the fan curves set in the BIOS (that is why I uninstalled the System Information Viewer software)

As long as you have decent airflow, most (if not all) GPU's will have a 0rpm mode they'll fall into if their temperature is fair. You won't be setting the gpu fan curve in your bios though

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites

Typically, with a single GPU in mind, the best performance per dollar is just whichever is cheapest at the time you are looking to buy. Once you start getting into the higher end model of a particular video card, you tend to start getting into the price range of a better gpu all together, especially since the market is soo crowded as of late. If prices are equal, often more fans = more better but not necessarily 100% of the time. A little research can usually answer that. A lot of tech youtubers do extensive testing to determine which cooler from the manufacturers are the best. All of the different models of a certain video card typically fall within a few percent of each other performance wise so I'd just go with the cheapest barring one exception, a "blower style" cooler. These blower coolers are usually hot and loud. The gaming performance will be about on par, maybe a couple percent worse at most, but at the cost of a ton of noise and with no hope of overclocking.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

Damn, I was liking the idea of a dead silent GPU while im working in audio... do the Gigabyte ones allow you to set fan curves and have 0 db when not needed? I dont want innecessary noise when im not using it.

 

Id rather buy something new, I dont want the nightmare of having problems with an used GPU.

 

Assuming Gigabyte is good, and they have a software for CPU fan curves.... is it the same software that at the same time controls the case and CPU fans? because I don't want any software overriding the fan curves set in the BIOS (that is why I uninstalled the System Information Viewer software)

I have a Gigabyte GPU, I love mine.  I have the Gigabyte RX 590, and the cooling is great.  I almost never hear it, even though it is overclocked by a formidable amount.  The thing the makes a lot of the Gigabyte cards different, is the fans that spin in opposite directions from the one next to them.  Most GPUs do not have that feature, though it does increase thermal efficiency.

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rx590overclocker said:

I have a Gigabyte GPU, I love mine.  I have the Gigabyte RX 590, and the cooling is great.  I almost never hear it, even though it is overclocked by a formidable amount.  The thing the makes a lot of the Gigabyte cards different, is the fans that spin in opposite directions from the one next to them.  Most GPUs do not have that feature, though it does increase thermal efficiency.

So do you need to run a software for that?

 

Between these 2:

 

https://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-super-gaming-oc-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-super-oc-6gb-gddr6

 

Should the "more fans more better" rule prevail so I buy the long one? @BarackOBatman

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

So do you need to run a software for that?

 

Between these 2:

 

https://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-super-gaming-oc-6gb-gddr6

https://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-super-oc-6gb-gddr6

 

Should the "more fans more better" rule prevail so I buy the long one? @BarackOBatman

You can probably do it all with the NVidia driver, but there is also a software made by Gigabyte, usually comes on a DVD with the card.

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rx590overclocker said:

You can probably do it all with the NVidia driver, but there is also a software made by Gigabyte, usually comes on a DVD with the card.

Yeah but like I said before, I don't want this software to be a "all in one software" that includes control of case and CPU fans so it overrides the UEFI curves...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rx590overclocker said:

usually comes on a DVD with the card.

Kinda useless since hardly anybody puts a DVD drive into a modern build.

 

The same software will most likely be in the support page for the card.

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G / Sapphire R9 290X / 16gb (2x8) Kingston ValueRam @ 2666Mhz / Gigabyte A320M-S2H / Kingston A400 120GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue 2.5" 1TB HDD / Cooler Master MWE450 / iCute Thing / LG 22MK400H-B 1920x1080 @ 75Hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MS-DOS said:

Yeah but like I said before, I don't want this software to be a "all in one software" that includes control of case and CPU fans so it overrides the UEFI curves...

The gigabyte software would only control the GPU fans.  

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rx590overclocker said:

The gigabyte software would only control the GPU fans.  

well, and other aspects of the gpu.  but it would not mess with your cpu or case fans.

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really dont understand what is the difference between these two:

 

https://www.gigabyte.com/eu/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SGAMING-OC-6GD#kf

https://www.gigabyte.com/eu/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SOC-6GD#kf

 

 

The one with 3 fans has 1860 MHz and the one with 2 fans has 1830 MHz.

The one with the fans has the RGB Fusion stuff, the other one doesn't.

 

Big woop. That's all? Why do they go throught the hassle of different lines of manufacturation only to do those tiny changes? or they do it in case you have a smaller case?

Performance wise I imagine they are the same.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

I really dont understand what is the difference between these two:

 

https://www.gigabyte.com/eu/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SGAMING-OC-6GD#kf

https://www.gigabyte.com/eu/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SOC-6GD#kf

 

 

The one with 3 fans has 1860 MHz and the one with 2 fans has 1830 MHz.

The one with the fans has the RGB Fusion stuff, the other one doesn't.

 

Big woop. That's all? Why do they go throught the hassle of different lines of manufacturation only to do those tiny changes? or they do it in case you have a smaller case?

Performance wise I imagine they are the same.

 

 

The one with 3 fans could probably be overclocked higher, as it has greater cooling, so you would get more performance out of it, or less sound.  If I were you I would get the one that has 3 fans.

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

I really dont understand what is the difference between these two:

 

https://www.gigabyte.com/eu/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SGAMING-OC-6GD#kf

https://www.gigabyte.com/eu/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SOC-6GD#kf

 

 

The one with 3 fans has 1860 MHz and the one with 2 fans has 1830 MHz.

The one with the fans has the RGB Fusion stuff, the other one doesn't.

 

Big woop. That's all? Why do they go throught the hassle of different lines of manufacturation only to do those tiny changes? or they do it in case you have a smaller case?

Performance wise I imagine they are the same.

 

 

The 1860 MHz vs 1830 MHz means basically nothing since the Nvidia drivers will automatically boost the clockspeed higher than those numbers thanks to GPU boost.

The RGB fusion is a gimmick for all practical purposes, though some people like the customization. (Keep in mind that you are technically paying extra for this vs a graphics card that does not have it.)

The real difference is the cooling performance and overclocking headroom. At the end of the day the difference is pretty small.

I imagine they go through the hassle because they get slightly higher profit margins on the more expensive 3 fan one that some people who value the RGB and cooling performance are willing to pay a little extra for.

You are correct that some will buy so it fits in a smaller case, but for most, this is a non-issue.

My pick would be the two fan one since it is the better performance for the dollar and this is to be used as a stopgap until next gen GPUs.

 

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×