Need to upgrade GF laptop without telling her...

Hi .. I think a little back story might needed. So... 

I've bought Acer Aspire e5 475g Laptop for my gf as a gift 4 years ago when I was broke.

Fast forward to today, we're still a happy couple and I have built myself a decent desktop for my own.

I'm happy with my desktop but she's still using that ancient laptop that's too slow if I were to use it.

It has 4GB (or 8GB, don't remember exactly) RAM and 1TB HDD.

I want her to have a new laptop that's much faster than this but she refused.

So... 

My plan is to buy RAM and SSD to upgrade that laptop without she notices anything.

(Going with SSD will be noticed anyhow)...

I'm not familiar with Acer laptops but here is the link I'm looking at the moment.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-e5-475g#

Should I go with those RAM and SSD? or Is there another sites that I can check parts?
Which retail should I hit? (We're in japan).

Pretty much any RAM and SSD that physically fits will work, it all depends on what features you want and how much you're willing to spend

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

any 2x8gb kit of DDR4 sodium will work

grab 500gb or 1tb SSD.

I assume you are just going to clone it?

that means you may need a few hours, which can be hard.

Nap, shower go out and eat??

IDK how you'd occupy her for hours without her looking for it

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

Pretty much any RAM and SSD that physically fits will work, it all depends on what features you want and how much you're willing to spend

16GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD would be somehow decent, I guess. I have a spare of 500$ or so to spend.

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

any 2x8gb kit of DDR4 sodium will work

grab 500gb or 1tb SSD.

I assume you are just going to clone it?

that means you may need a few hours, which can be hard.

Nap, shower go out and eat??

IDK how you'd occupy her for hours without her looking for it

I've took a holiday for this Friday, so it won't be a problem, I guess.

I want 16GB of RAM, so I guess I'll grab 2x8GB of those DDR4 Sodium.
I want to put 1TB of SSD but I'm not sure what to buy. Is it have to be 2.5" SATA SSD or can I go with M.2 SSD? 

1 minute ago, ZWELINHTET said:

I've took a holiday for this Friday, so it won't be a problem, I guess.

I want 16GB of RAM, so I guess I'll grab 2x8GB of those DDR4 Sodium.
I want to put 1TB of SSD but I'm not sure what to buy. Is it have to be 2.5" SATA SSD or can I go with M.2 SSD? 

okay,

2x8 or 1x16 are both options.

2.5 inch SSD

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

okay,

2x8 or 1x16 are both options.

2.5 inch SSD

Roger that. Thanks. I'll start look for those in Amazon. 

Just now, ZWELINHTET said:

there are some differences in SSDs, ether ask about them here or reviews that abuse the drives.

Might be worth considering the optics of the idea...

Would she be comfortable when she finds out that you extracted her HDD and made a copy of all of her data without her permission? Not to mention having to fiddle and rummage around her storage without her knowing so you can test it afterwards.

Maybe she's cool with it, I honestly have no idea. Just figured I'd ask, as I know a lot of people would easily flip out over something like that.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

15 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Might be worth considering the optics of the idea...

Would she be comfortable when she finds out that you extracted her HDD and made a copy of all of her data without her permission? Not to mention having to fiddle and rummage around her storage without her knowing so you can test it afterwards.

Maybe she's cool with it, I honestly have no idea. Just figured I'd ask, as I know a lot of people would easily flip out over something like that.

We're cool with those kind of (privacy sharing?) thing. Thanks for the concern. :D

22 hours ago, ZWELINHTET said:

I've bought Acer Aspire e5 475g Laptop for my gf as a gift 4 years ago when I was broke.

Fast forward to today, we're still a happy couple and I have built myself a decent desktop for my own.

I'm happy with my desktop but she's still using that ancient laptop that's too slow if I were to use it.

So... 

My plan is to buy RAM and SSD to upgrade that laptop without she notices anything.

I'm not familiar with Acer laptops but here is the link I'm looking at the moment.

Should I go with those RAM and SSD? or Is there another sites that I can check parts?

i think she'll notice

but yes get a minimum of 8 gigs ram

and the SSD <--- biggest impact

this will give her a big impact in speed 

but remember you can't turn a donkey into a racehorse

currently rocking 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 32 GB of corsair vengeance RGB ram and hoping to get my 6800XT soon!!!!

23 hours ago, ZWELINHTET said:

I'd suggest 2x8 ddr4 sodimm ram

1 TB of SSD storage

and most importantly when you're installing the ram try to look up a guide on how to clean the fan as well (if you haven't done it recently), cleaning ancient laptops helps improve the performance more than you think!! although that might be noticeable cause if the fan is really dusted up and not cleaned for 4 years when u clean it , it will sound a bit different

Crucial MX500 is a great SSD.

Samsung 860 Evo also. Get the cheaper of those 2.

With a Cable and a Software you can "clone" Windows completely over to the new SSD. But i would suggest doing a fresh install of Windows, so you're not cloning all the junk Windows has collected over the years.

26 minutes ago, ZWELINHTET said:

@PeterVBelgium @Bruh1 @Darkseth Thanks guys. 

My plan is in motion. I've got the Samsung SSD and 8x2 RAM.
She'll know after using a few minutes but this is kind of fun mission. :D

good luck :) 

currently rocking 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 32 GB of corsair vengeance RGB ram and hoping to get my 6800XT soon!!!!

On 3/10/2020 at 3:05 PM, ZWELINHTET said:

So... 

How about you do what she asked rather than asking her and then doing what you want anyway? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

On 3/13/2020 at 1:47 AM, Lord Vile said:

How about you do what she asked rather than asking her and then doing what you want anyway? 

Because she's a good girl who deserves better than 4GB of RAM.

Most of those RAM are being used by Windows 10 and I can't stand watching her wasting her time waiting for some simple tasks.

kudos to you.

Hope she likes your gift even though she actively refused it beforehand bb

CPU i7-6800K @ 4.4 GHz MOBO ASROCK X99E-ITX/AC GPU GTX 1080 FE RAM Corsair 32GB LPX Cooler Noctua NH-U9DXi4 Storage Samsung 512GB 950 Pro + 1.5TB HDD PSU Corsair CX650M Display Acer X34 Peripherals K70 LUX RGB MX RED, G502 Spectrum, Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear, & Razer Seiren Microphone