SSD Cache for a Dual HD Strip RAID

Go to solution Solved by BloodKnight7,

Yup... you want to use storage spaces. Enjoy! http://techgenix.com/windows-10-storage-spaces/

Hello,

I am trying to setup a basic strip RAID (no redundancy), and use an SSD as a cache for this RAID. The raid will consist of two HHDs. How can I set this up on Windows 10? I have the drives installed and ready to be formatted, but am unsure as to how to set up the raid and cache. I want the cache to be write-through so that data written to the raid is written onto the raid and the SSD cache to be used when retrieving data. All the help you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kazimir

6 minutes ago, BloodKnight7 said:

Yup... you want to use storage spaces. Enjoy! http://techgenix.com/windows-10-storage-spaces/

I don't think so.

45 minutes ago, k4z1m1r_ said:

Hello,

I am trying to setup a basic strip RAID (no redundancy), and use an SSD as a cache for this RAID. The raid will consist of two HHDs. How can I set this up on Windows 10? I have the drives installed and ready to be formatted, but am unsure as to how to set up the raid and cache. I want the cache to be write-through so that data written to the raid is written onto the raid and the SSD cache to be used when retrieving data. All the help you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kazimir

And your specs are? Intel? AMD?

I found a solution. Thank you to BloodNight7, I looked further into the Storage Spaces option. The issue I was having is that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application (since I am Intel based) was not compatible with my hardware, because of the motherboard I had. The solution I have is posted below, so that others can solve this issue too.

SettingUpMultiTieredSSD_HDDStorageSpace.txt

Main difference is, what you did is tiering with SS, and that's not caching.

Tiering: all capacity SSD+HDD is usable, and data is moved to/from SSD based on 'heatmap'. It's post process job.

Caching: only HDD capacity is usable, SSD is used as a cache - be it read only or read/write. It's instant. In case of read-only cache losing SSD does not yield data loss. In case of read/write cache, data in write cache is lost. With tiering, losing SSD is losing all data from that pool.