I accidentally downloaded a Trojan, please help me

Lorenzo54321
Go to solution Solved by homeap5,

Remember that finding infected files is not the same as having infected system. You can have collection of 10000 viruses on your drive (if you like) and still have clean system. Virus is a program too that needs to be executed somehow. That's why you found infected or suspicious files (because av scans every file - running or not) but your system is not infected (because av prevents execute of infected file).

Hello all,

Today I accidentally downloaded from a MediaFire link a Trojan that my antivirus program is calling Win32/Skeeyah.A!rfn.

When I downloaded it I initially saw that my computer was slowing down so I rapidly shutdown it and I booted it back again.

The first thing I did after I booted it, was removing the file I downloaded from the link and after that I started a fast Windows defender scan and I turned off my WiFi.

The only problem is that now Windows defender is saying that my computer is now safe, but my question is: Can I continue to use it as if nothing had happened?

And my second question is: Did Windows Defender really eliminate the Trojan?

I give you also other informations:

-I'm running Windows 10 64 bit

-The computer that got attacked is a Lenovo ideapad 100-15IBD

Thank you for the help.

Sorry for my English.

If your av detects it then it's good. That is how av should work - detect problem and remove.

If you want to be sure mate, why don't you follow Ambars advice first and if that is clean download a trial for Bitdefender and see if that finds anything. Do full scans to be sure. If both don't find nothing I think it's safe to say your clean.

What a Trojan does is to download and install a payload (which can be all sorts of things really... Bitcoinminer, keylogger or what not). No way for me to tell if Windows Defender stopped it from downloading  it's payload.

Time to do a reinstall.  Here I could jump on my soapbox and preach how Win10 is a disaster waiting to happen...and why linux is superior in the desktop/laptop realm...but I refuse to get on my soapbox and say that.  Might even suggest to just have Win10 installed on a 2nd physical drive for when you are forced to use it because of compatibility issues, but again I'd sound preachy and refuse to do that.

51 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

If you want to be sure mate, why don't you follow Ambars advice first and if that is clean download a trial for Bitdefender and see if that finds anything. Do full scans to be sure. If both don't find nothing I think it's safe to say your clean.

Thank you for the help,

I'm now downloading Bitdefender, but I can't find anything about Ambars advice, can you please tell me what is it?

• 2 weeks later...

*Update*

Bitdefender found some files in google chrome's cache that were injected by the Trojan and it permanently deleted them all, for now I've ran a handful of system scan, but they didn't find anything else, so I'm pretty relaxed.

I also checked all the task running in the background, but they were all clean except for one, WindowsInternal.Composabl wich I don't know if it is harmful or not.

For now, I've done some research and it seems ok, but I didn't find anything definitive.

Thank you all for the help

Remember that finding infected files is not the same as having infected system. You can have collection of 10000 viruses on your drive (if you like) and still have clean system. Virus is a program too that needs to be executed somehow. That's why you found infected or suspicious files (because av scans every file - running or not) but your system is not infected (because av prevents execute of infected file).