SSD maxing out at 100% and freezing computer

Coltonw023456

so  i just built a new PC i just swiped mother boards and CPU but i reinstalled windows and now like every few mins my SSD windows C drive goes to 100% and my PC freezes and i can't do anything then after a few seconds it stops i am not sure why this is happening 

SSD that has the issue ADATA Premier SP550 480GB 

new parts 

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AM4 Processor
  • Motherboard
    ASRock B450

System

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AM4 Processor
  • Motherboard
    ASRock B450
  • RAM
    G.SKILL NT Series 16GB
  • GPU
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • Case
    Thermaltake Core V21
  • Storage
    ADATA Premier SP550 480GB/WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM
  • PSU
    Rosewill Photon 650W
  • Display(s)
    BenQ GW2270 21.5" 1080p LED Monitor/SAMSUNG S27E450D Black 27"
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC240E RGB
  • Keyboard
    Redragon K503 Harpe
  • Mouse
    Redragon M601
  • Sound
    KOTION EACH B3505
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64Bit

222.PNG

1 hour ago, Coltonw023456 said:

<snipping saves electron lives>

I'm almost inclined to recommend you simply replace the SSD with another one from a more reputable company like Samsung. I never heard of 'Adata' before, so I'm not sure how reliable their storage devices tend to be. Nevertheless, just click on the 'processes' tab and try to find out whats hogging up all the room.  

Edited by SansVarnic
snipped quote

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

10 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

I'm almost inclined to recommend you simply replace the SSD with another one from a more reputable company like Samsung. I never heard of 'Adata' before, so I'm not sure how reliable their storage devices tend to be. Nevertheless, just click on the 'processes' tab and try to find out whats hogging up all the room.  

Adata is a perfectly reputable company. In my experience a drive hitting 100% usage and locking up the system is indicative of something else going haywire. Agreed with watching task manager to see what's hogging the disk.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I have seen this a few times and its normally a bad disk if the drive is under heavy usage % with no disk io. Check if there is being data copied when its at 100%

2 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Adata is a perfectly reputable company. In my experience a drive hitting 100% usage and locking up the system is indicative of something else going haywire. Agreed with watching task manager to see what's hogging the disk.

that's the weird part there is nothing using it that much 

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have seen this a few times and its normally a bad disk if the drive is under heavy usage % with no disk io. Check if there is being data copied when its at 100%

true 

2 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

same thing don't know whats doing it i watched it 

9 minutes ago, Coltonw023456 said:

same thing don't know whats doing it i watched it 

? Have you tried disabling the "link state power management" feature under your power settings? Just type 'edit power plan' in the search bar of your task bar, click on 'advanced power settings', then click on 'PCI express', and change it to 'off'. This seems to have solved this issue for some people, more or less. To be sure, I checked mine and saw that I do indeed have it disabled, so that's a good indication. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I'm inclined to agree with other people that something is wrong with the system or drive, although you can track specific I/O with Resource Monitor and/or Performance Monitor in Windows. Check there first.

As for the SP550 specifically: this drive did have some issues. It was known for having a small SLC cache and despite that also terrible TLC and steady state performance, as seen here: small SLC as you would see with a static SLC drive, but then plummets with TLC. That's not a common combination and is a factor of the SM2256 combined with planar TLC. By no means a bad drive within SLC, though.

7 hours ago, NewMaxx said:

I'm inclined to agree with other people that something is wrong with the system or drive, although you can track specific I/O with Resource Monitor and/or Performance Monitor in Windows. Check there first.

As for the SP550 specifically: this drive did have some issues. It was known for having a small SLC cache and despite that also terrible TLC and steady state performance, as seen here: small SLC as you would see with a static SLC drive, but then plummets with TLC. That's not a common combination and is a factor of the SM2256 combined with planar TLC. By no means a bad drive within SLC, though.

i have a HDD am i better of using that for windows untill  i get money to get a new SSD

9 minutes ago, Coltonw023456 said:

i have a HDD am i better of using that for windows untill  i get money to get a new SSD

Your experience might be better (amazingly) but I would see if you can find out what's hitting the drive when it does that with Resource and/or Performance Monitor. Although it might just be a background garbage collection thing that's not working right. Sometimes a secure erase will restore that (check ADATA's SSD Toolbox).

Check the Windows event log for SATA interface timeouts and resets. 

Had that once long ago. Basically either bad contact between SSD and mobo, some weird incompatibility, or either one being faulty.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

24 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Check the Windows event log for SATA interface timeouts and resets. 

Had that once long ago. Basically either bad contact between SSD and mobo, some weird incompatibility, or either one being faulty.

so like i checked task manger and nothing is using it it just maxing out 

89353595_485947148768231_7374737925616959488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=7aB1IZIRL-kAX9TrNMg&_nc_ht=scontent.fabe1-1.fna&oh=4b68c64173b55765a193f90d1b1c84b2&oe=5E9315AE

51 minutes ago, Coltonw023456 said:

89353595_485947148768231_7374737925616959488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=7aB1IZIRL-kAX9TrNMg&_nc_ht=scontent.fabe1-1.fna&oh=4b68c64173b55765a193f90d1b1c84b2&oe=5E9315AE

? Is your link state power management control disabled though? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

? Is your link state power management control disabled though? 

how could i find out ?

17 minutes ago, Coltonw023456 said:

how could i find out ?

Refer to my previous post linked below. Its in your power plan settings in the 'advanced tab'. Go to the 'PCI Express' tab and set it to 'off'. 

Link: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1162230-ssd-maxing-out-at-100-and-freezing-computer/?tab=comments#comment-13351195

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

6 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Refer to my previous post linked below. Its in your power plan settings in the 'advanced tab'. Go to the 'PCI Express' tab and set it to 'off'. 

Link: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1162230-ssd-maxing-out-at-100-and-freezing-computer/?tab=comments#comment-13351195

so i have fixed the issue i had to do command prompt and do disk part and list disks and then select the disk and clean it then install windows now it don't do it anymore i'm shocked that worked

10 hours ago, Coltonw023456 said:

Yeah and that matches the issue I had, and that's not what I suggested you go look at...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, Coltonw023456 said:

so i have fixed the issue i had to do command prompt and do disk part and list disks and then select the disk and clean it then install windows now it don't do it anymore i'm shocked that worked

? Good deal, now that you got it fixed, once you install everything back on, you should back everything up as a system image. It takes a "snapshot" of the entire state of your computer so you don't have to go through this again in case the issue occurs again or something else causes you to lose everything. You'll need an external storage device to do it. Creating a system restore point can help as well, although it doesn't guarantee you won't lose anything. 

Link: System Image Backup

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

9 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

? Good deal, now that you got it fixed, once you install everything back on, you should back everything up as a system image. It takes a "snapshot" of the entire state of your computer so you don't have to go through this again in case the issue occurs again or something else causes you to lose everything. You'll need an external storage device to do it. Creating a system restore point can help as well, although it doesn't guarantee you won't lose anything. 

Link: System Image Backup

thank you for the support :) and will do