(HELP) Friends pc runs super low FPS with great specs

My friend has an upgraded msi night blade. The specs are a i7-7 700k only 8gbs of 2400mhz ram and a rtx 2070. His games are all on his ssd and I’ve tried my very best to help him. He should be getting ALOT Better fps.In gams like fortnite he has 80- 100fps on all low with everything up to date like drivers windows etc.He’s considereding buying a whole new pc cause of this issue. I came to this forum to hopefully come in contact with someone good at computers so they can help my friend out. My discord is noltez#3210 if someone wants to dm me. Thanks.

Grab a hardware/GPU monitoring tool like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner and watch what happens when you load into a game. Is the GPU ramping up its clock speed correctly? Is the CPU? Is the GPU memory?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Check his temperatures and the usage levels of his cpu, gpu and memory while he's playing. By the way, at what resolution is he playing?

The one thing that kind of stands out would be his RAM, 8GB is usually fine but it's not very fast (is it dual channel at least?) and if he has anything else going on in the background it may be hurting his performance. You also didn't mention his power supply and motherboard.

6 minutes ago, Noltez said:

He’s considereding buying a whole new pc cause of this issue.

Unless he has a 120Hz+ monitor he's already getting more frames per second than he can actually see, so I'd hold off on that...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Check his temperatures and the usage levels of his cpu, gpu and memory while he's playing. By the way, at what resolution is he playing?

The one thing that kind of stands out would be his RAM, 8GB is usually fine but it's not very fast (is it dual channel at least?) and if he has anything else going on in the background it may be hurting his performance. You also didn't mention his power supply and motherboard.

Unless he has a 120Hz+ monitor he's already getting more frames per second than he can actually see, so I'd hold off on that...

He has a 144hz moniter and plays comp. he plays 1920x 1080. Not sure about power supply I’ll reply when he responds but I think it’s the default one which comes with the night blade 

10 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Grab a hardware/GPU monitoring tool like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner and watch what happens when you load into a game. Is the GPU ramping up its clock speed correctly? Is the CPU? Is the GPU memory?

I’ll tell him to do that

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

have you checked the system usages or checked the os or tried a fresh install of it?

No I’ll tell him to try reinstalling windows

9 minutes ago, Noltez said:

Only one gpu?

If it's connected to the motherboard it will just use the iGPU from the i7, so check that's not the case (though the framerate seems too high for that)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

have you checked the system usages or checked the os or tried a fresh install of it?

I’ll tell him

25 minutes ago, pjotrdegraaf said:

what W is the powersuply?

or witch one

Not sure I think it’s the default one from the night blade I’ll ask tho

2 minutes ago, pjotrdegraaf said:

it woud not make cense but maybe he has a slow hdd what botelnacks everything

First post says games are on SSD.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, emosun said:

well it's fortnite and all on low so , maybe

Oh right, all low.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

22 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If it's connected to the motherboard it will just use the iGPU from the i7, so check that's not the case (though the framerate seems too high for that)

Display is connected to gpu

7 minutes ago, Noltez said:

Display is connected to gpu

what about the other things we asked you to check?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

42 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Ok I’ll tell him to do this. Is there anything I should look for specifically? And how do I know if it’s ramping up its clock speed correctly/ what do I look for. Same for CPU what do I look for. Sorry I don’t understand how clock speeds work to well.

Just now, Noltez said:

Ok I’ll tell him to do this. Is there anything I should look for specifically? And how do I know if it’s ramping up its clock speed correctly/ what do I look for. Same for CPU what do I look for. Sorry I don’t understand how clock speeds work to well. Also what do I do if it’s not doing it correctly 

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

what about the other things we asked you to check?

He has a 240hz monitor and plays comp. he plays 1920x 1080.i cant find the mobo and psu all i know is, the mother board and psu are the default ones which come with the msi night blade. Im assuming its dual channel cause he didnt touch the ram since he got the pc and msi would probaly make sure its dual channel before selling. His temps are great gpu running 40 c while gaming, his cpu is good to i dont know the exact temps but i will ask him later. No big programs in the background either.

7 minutes ago, Noltez said:

msi would probaly make sure its dual channel before selling.

I wouldn't count on it since they're still selling new computers with 3 year old and severely obsolete processors. In fact to be honest if he's still in time I would recommend just returning it, it seems like a really bad purchase compared to what he could build for that money. If he doesn't want to or can't return it then he should at least contact MSI support about these issues, support is pretty much the only reason to buy a prebuilt anyway...

10 minutes ago, Noltez said:

His temps are great gpu running 40 c while gaming, his cpu is good to i dont know the exact temps but i will ask him later. No big programs in the background either.

What about the usage? You can use MSI afterburner to check.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I wouldn't count on it since they're still selling new computers with 3 year old and severely obsolete processors. In fact to be honest if he's still in time I would recommend just returning it, it seems like a really bad purchase compared to what he could build for that money. If he doesn't want to or can't return it then he should at least contact MSI support about these issues, support is pretty much the only reason to buy a prebuilt anyway...

What about the usage? You can use MSI afterburner to check.

He bought it 3 years ago and also upgraded the gpu. He could try contacting support but I don’t think they would do much since he upgraded the components