undervolted rtx 2060 am i doing something wrong?

silverera99

so i have the rtx 2060 gigabyte OC rev 1.0 version (1755mhz boost, refference card runs at 1680mhz). which i've read on many forums  that it runs very hot which it's true. just got it today ran an unengine superposition 1080p extreme bench , got 4484 points with a maximum of 83 C (stock fans settings) so it ran very hot of what i've seen in others review and the fans are really loud. it even lowered the frequency by 50-60 mhz because it throttled by the temps

i'd did some undervolting with msi after burner and set a voltage-frequency curve which looks like this

image.thumb.png.623eedc61f7c1d5b0e56d031c41cdf82.png

is it normal to get it ran at 812mv with 1755mhz? i ran an unegine superpostion bench again and it ran 90% of the time at 1755mhz and then lowered the frequency at the end to 1740mhz   i've never had a gpu that can undervolt so low . am i doing something wrong? score in bench was 4296 points this time with a maximum of 67C (fan curve remained default) it didn't crash , and testing it in a game in some intense scenes it didn't crashed at all (reached maximum 60c in the game).  can i ruin my card by running lower voltages? also why does msi afterburner shows that base clock is around 1000 and boost is between 1250-1500 if that's not the real clocks? hwmonitor reports 1755mhz , superposition reports 1755mhz as well

What does hwinfo64 tells you about gpu cure voltage while gaming? You should be fine.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

The GPU is acting normally, and you will not damage your card from undervolting. You should try messing with the Fan curve. Most default fan curves are aimed at trying to keep the GPU quiet, some don't even turn on the fans until the GPU Core hits 50 or 60c. I believe you could get better clock speeds at lower temps if you messed with the fans.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

Just now, silverera99 said:

image.png.737596c10f766118ca91208747b183d2.png

4 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

The GPU is acting normally, and you will not damage your card from undervolting. You should try messing with the Fan curve. Most default fan curves are aimed at trying to keep the GPU quiet, some don't even turn on the fans until the GPU Core hits 50 or 60c. I believe you could get better clock speeds at lower temps if you messed with the fans.

well gigabytes model was extremely loud. it got lowered once i undervolted and the temps got much lower 

Great. It will not harm the GPU by any means. And as the effect on bench scores is insignificant, I would not bother with it. Save this UV-d profile and use it : )

6 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Great. It will not harm the GPU by any means. And as the effect on bench scores is insignificant, I would not bother with it. Save this UV-d profile and use it : )

i could had probably pushed it more since it didn't crashed here but already thought i was doing something wrong

so OC without OV can't do anything bad? read somewhere an article that even a slight OC can increase the failure rate in a GPU

Broscience and hearsay urban legends. As long as You don't mess with increased voltages, it should not be an issue. Btw, invidia cards are very restrictive with voltages, so You literally can't go overboard. 

Don't worry, it's totally fine. 

25 minutes ago, silverera99 said:

i could had probably pushed it more since it didn't crashed here but already thought i was doing something wrong

so OC without OV can't do anything bad? read somewhere an article that even a slight OC can increase the failure rate in a GPU

That is completely false. A processor does not fail from having too high of clock speed. Heat and current/voltage are the main ways processors are damaged.

Not to even mention Nvidia has their GPU's voltages locked down super hard. You'll never damage your card from running the card on stock voltages, and if it does fail, then it will be covered under warranty.

Join HWBot or OCN

2 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

That is completely false. A processor does not fail from having too high of clock speed. Heat and current/voltage are the main ways processors are damaged.

Not to even mention Nvidia has their GPU's voltages locked down super hard. You'll never damage your card from running the card on stock voltages, and if it does fail, then it will be covered under warranty.

not talking about stock voltages here. talking about serious undervolting 

anyway surprised how gigabyte's engineers released a card with such bad default settings . honestly , running this card with stock settings is really hot and loud

3 minutes ago, silverera99 said:

not talking about stock voltages here. talking about serious undervolting 

anyway surprised how gigabyte's engineers released a card with such bad default settings . honestly , running this card with stock settings is really hot and loud

Theres no such thing as "Serious Undervolting" on a Nvidia GPU. Everything a Nvidia GPU does is controlled by Boost3.0 algorithm, so you cannot actually control the GPU. You can only tell the GPU how you want it to behave. The only thing you can do is lower the Power Target to prevent it going past like 1.05v.

I'd still recommend you find tune your fan curves, if you want lower temps. Do your fans have a 0 RPM mode? Do they only start spinning at 40 or 60c? Looking at the info you provided, 0.8v at around 1700MHz should not get your GPU to 65-70c. I think your fans might be in some type of default "quiet" mode.

Join HWBot or OCN

9 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

Theres no such thing as "Serious Undervolting" on a Nvidia GPU. Everything a Nvidia GPU does is controlled by Boost3.0 algorithm, so you cannot actually control the GPU. You can only tell the GPU how you want it to behave. The only thing you can do is lower the Power Target to prevent it going past like 1.05v.

I'd still recommend you find tune your fan curves, if you want lower temps. Do your fans have a 0 RPM mode? Do they only start spinning at 40 or 60c? Looking at the info you provided, 0.8v at around 1700MHz should not get your GPU to 65-70c. I think your fans might be in some type of default "quiet" mode.

they are defenetely not in quiet mode like i said they are loud..at default mode i think they start at 50C with 0 rpm below 50C . the temps in idle oscilates at 45-50C so they start and stop repeteadly when browsing , leading me to set the fans from msi afterburner to start at 55C at around 30% , at 65C-40% and 80C 60% , and 90C to 90%. gpu isn't reaching now 80C any way with the undervolting so whatever i set in msi afterburner it acutally worked. hwmonitor reports 0.813 V and maximum 67C in benchmarks

i could just let the fans run all the time and keep it in 30C when browsing but proably repeatedly temps changes from 30C to 70C are worse than changes from 50C to 70C

• 6 months later...
On 3/6/2020 at 1:27 AM, silverera99 said:

they are defenetely not in quiet mode like i said they are loud..at default mode i think they start at 50C with 0 rpm below 50C . the temps in idle oscilates at 45-50C so they start and stop repeteadly when browsing , leading me to set the fans from msi afterburner to start at 55C at around 30% , at 65C-40% and 80C 60% , and 90C to 90%. gpu isn't reaching now 80C any way with the undervolting so whatever i set in msi afterburner it acutally worked. hwmonitor reports 0.813 V and maximum 67C in benchmarks

i could just let the fans run all the time and keep it in 30C when browsing but proably repeatedly temps changes from 30C to 70C are worse than changes from 50C to 70C

hey man, how's your card going now? is it ok with that undervolt that you set on the card? i have rtx 2060 super, i undervolt to 850 mv and clock speed at 1800mhz. max temp stays at 72c while running unigine benchmark. i hope its okay. oh and also my ambient temp is around 29c. i live in tropical country