The best selling console ever hits 20.

It was twenty years ago today, the PS2 taught us all to play,

I’ve had all the PlayStation’s over the years. The PS2 I actually won on the second day after release. I popped into the local Blockbuster to hire a video and walked out with a console and 5 games just by being the nth customer that day. So I have fond memories of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-51736665

Why was the PS2 so successful?

Alex Wiltshire is a writer for games magazine Edge, and he says the PS2 is "an important part of gaming and console history."

The DVD player in the console made it accessible to people at the time who could get "two things for a cheaper price".

Alex believes the console attracted people who might not have played video games, and put controllers in the hands of a new wave of gamers.

"It was home to games which elevated creativity and expanded the games market - like Singstar and Guitar Hero," he says.

Singstar let you compete against friends at singing while Guitar Hero was a guitar-based video games that was played on a big plastic instrument.

"It gave people who weren't self-identifying as gamers a chance to play things like karaoke and music games."

According to Guinness World Records, 157.68 million people have owned a PlayStation 2 in their lifetime.

That is a lot of consoles to sell. Quite amazing really considering just how much competition there was at the time.

No.. That's impossible!

tenor.gif?itemid=4203998

The PS2 is still in my top 5 favorite consoles, just for the sheer amount of nostalgia.. But also its library of games and great controller!

To date it's the console I still have the most games for.

I remember the specific store I bought mine at even. Sadly it doesn't exist anymore ?

SSX On Tour was definitely my favorite game for the system. Remember playing it a bit as a demo in store and I just HAD to have it!

There is nothing better than just taking a controller, memory card and game to a friend's house and booting up some DBZ Tenkaichi Budokai 3 and duking it out!

This weekend will probably be spent playing the console and celebrating its birthday!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I never got the original PS1, but I have a PS2, PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim, PS3 Super slim, PS4 (sold to a friend) and now PS4 Pro. All but the first PS4 me and/or my sister still have. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I also have a PS2 and I love it. I grew up playing games on it at my grandmother's house. I ended up buying a used PS2 and collecting all the games I used to play just for nostalgia's sake. It's an amazing console.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Never owned a PS2. 

I was on PC by the time the PS2 rolled around so I had little interest to buy one.

My family was relatively poor, so for us, it was either a multi usage PC for the whole family or a game console just for the kids... So PC it was and luckily for me, it was good enough to play some games even with the built-in GPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Looks like I gotta boot up classic Battlefront 2 to celebrate ?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

PS3 was a very cheap DVD player when it first launched. It fit in with other hardware in a home media setup at the time. It used the new DVD format which movies quickly got on board with and the game lineup when it launched was great. There were alot of 3rd party support as well. All signs of a great console. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony took a hit for every PS2 sold...

Still have the PS2. Pretty much bought it for Burnout series and Gran Turismo 4.

GTA 3. ❤️

I don't think I've ever been more blown away after putting a disc in. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

It's 20 now??? But... Im 20 :(
I feel old now, I remember playing Ratchet & Clank series when I was younger. Played the 2nd game over 99 times (there was a counter for how many times you killed the final boss and went back to the start), got all the skill points and upgrades all the weapons to their Ultra variants (I still remember how fast the RYNO II could kill the final boss :D )
And Star Wars Battlefront II... With the jet trooper and the burst laser... Oh those were the good times. Just pure fun games.

9 minutes ago, TheUberMedic said:

I feel old now, I remember playing Ratchet & Clank series when I was younger. Played the 2nd game over 99 times (there was a counter for how many times you killed the final boss and went back to the start), got all the skill points and upgrades all the weapons to their Ultra variants (I still remember how fast the RYNO II could kill the final boss :D )
And Star Wars Battlefront II... With the jet trooper and the burst laser... Oh those were the good times. Just pure fun games.

You are speaking my language! Especially with Battlefront II Lol!

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

ahh PS2,

DMC3, NFSU2, FFX, Dragonball Budokai 3, Naruto UltimateHero 3, Digimon Rumble Arena, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2

good times man, good times

The PS2 was my first home console -- I'd played on others before (even the Atari 2600!), but this was the first permanent one.  Bought it on launch day alongside Tekken Tag Tournament... and our TV at the time needed an adapter just to take RCA input! When we finally got an HDTV, I was ecstatic.

I used the hell out of that system and remember games like SSX and Rez (I actually got a Dreamcast after the PS2, so no Rez on Sega's system) quite fondly.  And yes, it was my first DVD player.

4 hours ago, TheUberMedic said:

Jak and Daxter + Sly Cooper.

PS2 had the best platformers by far.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I got a PS2 and PS3 but both are at home.
I should bring it along for some classic multiplayer fun when I get my place.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Wow, 20 years makes me... I don't know...OLD!?!?!?

Engineer.AI

the PS2Portable sony doesn't want to give us

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

.  And yes, it was my first DVD player.

It was for many people. I had  DVD drive in my PC but it was barely usable as a player. The PS2 changed that and really opened the market up. I remember the cheaper DVD players if the time often had compatibility issues and would not play many discs. The PS2 however seemed to work with everything and if it didn’t Sony were very quick to issue a firmware update. Sony must have sold a shed load of remote controls for the platform. People who were not into gaming bought the PS2 just as a DVD player as it was one of the best options at the time.

Quite amazing to think that in just 20 years we have gone from VHS to DVD through BluRay and now o to streaming media. The whole concept of owning physical media has died in such a short period.

Happy birthday Sony PlayStation 2, thanks for the memories.

They were pretty damn great. ??

Nostalgia Pics:

Spoiler

LinearMintyEnglishsetter-size_restricted

giphy.gif

playstation-logos-gif-animation-ps1-ps2-

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

PS2 is by far my favorite console of all-time. (n64 follows afterwards) Maybe its nostalgia kicking in, I don't know, but it just had a ton of games. Maybe its because most of my all-time favorites are on that console never to be replicated by the newer consoles. PS2 was ahead of its time and I'm glad I was there from the start. I feel bad for these kids today as they'll never know the awesomeness that was the PS2 in its OG form.

Happy belated birthday, Sauce!

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

2 hours ago, Eschew said:

Happy birthday Sony PlayStation 2, thanks for the memories.

They were pretty damn great. ??

Nostalgia Pics:

Hide contents

Qn22gl.gif

And how it got better over time the more you filled your memory card with different titles

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I always feared that red screen with the “please insert PS or PS2 format disc” error. Always happened to my Spyro Enter the Dragon Fly disc. (Shitty game I know but I was too young to notice and was a diehard Spyro fan).

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

13 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

GTA 3. ❤️

I don't think I've ever been more blown away after putting a disc in. 

GTA 3 was genuinely a huge leap forward in gaming, in pretty much every way possible tbh. It revolutionised gaming like no other game ever has and at this point probably ever will.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 hours ago, Phill104 said:

just by being the nth customer that day.

Wait what, these things actually happen? I thought this was only in the movies. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List