This is not a laptop.

The NexDock 2 is a laptop dock for phones, or a Raspberry Pi, or pretty much anything with an HDMI port. It could enable a smartphone-powered future, but is it worth the hassle now?

Check out the NexDock 2: http://nexdock.com

Based on my experience with Samsung Dex, no. No it's not worth the hassle.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

"This is not a laptop."

Laptop: "So what am I?"

Me: You're a less useful desktop

3mVKnpP.gif

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The end of PeeCeee = The end of LTT !!

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I dont like it, at $260+shipping+the device to use it lets say a Pi3B which is $30, I would probably rather just wait and save a little more and get an OK lower end laptop. Like the one below. Itll probably perform better, have access to windows 10 which gives you a much larger selection of applications. Or hell, get a chromebook for only a little more and use that.

dd350b32ac0e97ca39781ca151af0361.png

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

Continuum was actually very useful.

Dex was based on Continuum and Microsoft assisted Samsung with the development of Dex, but Dex still has a ways to go though.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

So this was actually an integral part of an idea I've been having. What if your home had a central computer that could wirelessly display to anywhere in the house. Is this a feasible idea or is there a similar/better solution?

Many many years ago I had an Alienware M18x laptop that also was equipped with a HDMI input, and I have been scratching my head ever since about WHY this port is missing from every other notebook under the sun.

The neat thing with having a video INPUT to that screen is you can use your laptop to do a lot of other stuff and opens up more opportunities. Now you don't need a TV for using your game console, for example - handy for those who don't have much space. Phones with HDMI dongles can connect. Professional cameras can connect. It even works as a monitor for a desktop or server in a pinch.

Want to watch some actual TV - plug in your set top box/DVR/Roku and you're good to go.

Notebook + HDMI in = versatility

1 hour ago, EMUJAKE said:

So this was actually an integral part of an idea I've been having. What if your home had a central computer that could wirelessly display to anywhere in the house. Is this a feasible idea or is there a similar/better solution?

A smarthome? With the right stuff like Sonos, that could work. It just gets very expensive if you really want everything to be integrated. The setup I have allows me to control everything in the kitchen from my laptop, but it requires certain products to already have a wireless chip with the compatible software.

I really like this product. Having a portable monitor to plug things into when you're tinkering or being able to plug your phone into it could be really useful. But the price is too high. You can get portable monitors for cheaper. I think it would be great at a sub $200 price point.

You guys should have tested it with some PC streamed games

and possibly with a windows(ARM) install on a phone.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

i think the question should be different

windows 10 (desktop version) phone when?  

then you can combine your phone + PC + have this thing attached as your big(main) screen with keyboard and touchpad to work with

I loved using my Atrix docked up back in 2011-ish w/e it was. :o 

That acer laptop is very cheap.I china is almost cost 328$+...But,i do not like the ssd too small.i think 512ssd+1t hhd is batter

I couldn't believe it when I saw it. The NexDock 2 is nearly the same thing I built myself a few months back, to make my PC-on-wheels (relatively) portable around my home, and not be bound to a desk. ? Who did better? https://pcpartpicker.com/b/7mw6Mp

278624.053d9b532ac42f64155d8f3bf4d172c5.1600.jpg

this thing is actually amazing when you share an apartment. you can plug consoles into it, tablets. phone for a quick email and even used small desktop gaming pc and pi emulator also for my vr rig that is broken gaming laptop I connected to oculus. I can use it to set up stuff and replug vr headset. it is a portable second screen with battery and keyboard. compare second screen usb prices with this thing. And I can use it for my test server rig too. I can get rid of 2 monitors in my room with this thing. And get additional functionality.

I'd love to have this if it had touch and a stylus.  All I really need at work on traveling is MS office apps, One Note (or similar) and a HTML5 browser.   If I need more computing horsepower, on the road, there are clouds that can give that. 

For a lot of people this is all they need in a portable.  Samsung would never sell one of these for 250 when they can sell you a chrome book pro for a lot more money. 

This would work so well with postmarketOS https://postmarketos.org/ the pinephone https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/ or even librem 5 https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

That sounds amazing!

It's an alternative to using a separate external monitor (@ $160 USD everywhere) and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (call that another $50).

I've been using such a set up for a few months now with my Note 10+ and DEX and it's really not bad at all. Coupled with the note-taking ability on the... Note, its pretty slick.

It's a great alternative to someone who doesn't already have a laptop but has one of the newer, pretty powerful, phones.

I do like the all-in-one solution this thing offers and if the screen were bigger I'd definitely hit the buy button - as it is, I'll probably grab one anyway.

22 hours ago, FakeCIA said:

A smarthome? With the right stuff like Sonos, that could work. It just gets very expensive if you really want everything to be integrated. The setup I have allows me to control everything in the kitchen from my laptop, but it requires certain products to already have a wireless chip with the compatible software.

Kind of, my thinking would be more like a powerful setup in a remote spot in your house maybe running some virtual desktops. Then when you want to do something on computer you have a small display/keyboard with all the power of your desktop. I just remembered as well that microsoft has a mini wireless display adapter which could do the trick. The only thing is getting a good wireless display connection to adequately blanket the house.

1 hour ago, EMUJAKE said:

Kind of, my thinking would be more like a powerful setup in a remote spot in your house maybe running some virtual desktops. Then when you want to do something on computer you have a small display/keyboard with all the power of your desktop. I just remembered as well that microsoft has a mini wireless display adapter which could do the trick. The only thing is getting a good wireless display connection to adequately blanket the house.

Look up Sonos. They're your best bet for integration. They do more than sound and visuals too.

2 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

Look up Sonos. They're your best bet for integration. They do more than sound and visuals too.

Will do, and thanks, I didn't know Sonos did more than wireless audio.

This sounds like a great solution for a laptop for me (if you can get over the fact that you have your phone hanging off of it every time you wanna use it) but im wondering about the performance. I wouldn't mind investing in a better phone, currently i have a 4 year old snapdragon 625 in my current phone so upgrading to a snapdragon 865 would be an option. But it's hard comparing these ARM processors against the regular x86 and such processors that you would find in a laptop that you could buy instead. Regular benchmarks dont work on both ARM and x86 but comparing how the processors handle usual work might work good. I dont know how these sd 865 handle things like word processing (and i dont have personal experience with basic browsing and such) but i cant imagine them struggling but i have trouble finding out how they stack up to similar like nearing 1k laptops in gaming performance. Mainly because there are not alot of games for ARM yet.

I think the lack of games is the main thing holding me back switching to a phone and lapdock. But with a couple of ARM based mt8173 chromebook laptops and a couple years old x86 intel atom z3580 based asus zenfone 2 for example i hope the line continues to blur and gaming on ARM becomes more mainstream. Im not expecting to play RDR2 1440p 120fps with high detail on a phone processor but some e sports titles like rocket league 1080p (maybe 60fps, i dont know what these SoC's are capable of) or something like overwatch. Because that is what would be possible on a laptop for the price of a new high end phone + lapdock (not taking in mind longevity and that you still have to buy a cheaper phone with your laptop if you need both).

anybody know of the capabilitys of these ARM phone SoC's or of x86 capable devices to pair with a desk dock in respect to esports gaming?

wounder if you could make one out of an old laptop

it could see a 6 games 1 cpu, but like a lan cafe.