3 pin fan on a 4 pin mobo header

jurian123
Go to solution Solved by hadesjoy72,

Hello fellow computer enthusiasts. I have a problem i have a mobo (asus maximus hero) with only 4 pin fan headers. the one thing i wanted to have are led fans but these are 3 pin connectors. The AF120 led fans. My question is can i plug a 3 pin connector on to 4 pin header? 

I hope to hear from you guys soon. 

See yall

jurian

(please don't mind my English i am Dutch.) 

Your ok to plug in the 3 pin to 4 pin fan header, the only thing is you will not have the PWM  control, meaning that your fan will run at whatever its rated at constantly.

Hello fellow computer enthusiasts. I have a problem i have a mobo (asus maximus hero) with only 4 pin fan headers. the one thing i wanted to have are led fans but these are 3 pin connectors. The AF120 led fans. My question is can i plug a 3 pin connector on to 4 pin header? 

See yall

jurian

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

they should work just fine running on 12V,

just try it out,  there is nothing to do wrong.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

See yall

jurian

Your ok to plug in the 3 pin to 4 pin fan header, the only thing is you will not have the PWM  control, meaning that your fan will run at whatever its rated at constantly.

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

I think his hero Bord has the ability to shwitch betwen 5V 7V and 12V. So you will get a bit controll

I think his hero Bord has the ability to shwitch betwen 5V 7V and 12V. So you will get a bit contr

Yeah...voltage only.

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."