Steam back up and restore games

220VoltsallCore

I currently instaled many free games on my steam and some paid games.( he also owns that games)

Can i backup the games on mine and restore it on my freind pc. Its differnt steam account.

So hundreads of gb can be saved without redownloading it

Just copy the directory the game is in to his computer, then download the game. As long as everything is in the correct directory, it will detect all the files and skip them in the download process. A few files may still be replaced to tie them to his account.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

If your asking if your friend can just play the game you bought on his account then the answer is no.

Now if they are free games that are on his account, he should be able to avoid redownloading them if he has the files already on the pc.

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Just copy the directory the game is in to his computer, then download the game. As long as everything is in the correct directory, it will detect all the files and skip them in the download process. A few files may still be replaced to tie them to his account.

Will backup and restore work too? I just have already back up in my external harddisk

He stays far away so i cant test this 

5 minutes ago, RapidTurtle said:

Will backup and restore work too? I just have already back up in my external harddisk

He stays far away so i cant test this 

I don't know what backup method you used, but as long as the files end up in the proper directory, then it should.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I don't know what backup method you used, but as long as the files end up in the proper directory, then it should.

I used steam back up games option

8 hours ago, RapidTurtle said:

I used steam back up games option

As long as you back them up individually you can restore them on another PC to save download time.

I found if I backed up a group of games as 1 backup and the restore account didn't have a license for all the games in the backup, the whole restore would fail.

Since then, I backup 1 game at a time and put them on an external SSD to speed up installs at LANs

8 hours ago, trufret said:

As long as you back them up individually you can restore them on another PC to save download time.

I found if I backed up a group of games as 1 backup and the restore account didn't have a license for all the games in the backup, the whole restore would fail.

Since then, I backup 1 game at a time and put them on an external SSD to speed up installs at LANs

so can i backup gta on my steam account, and restore it on differnent steam account on my friend pc(he also owns in steam) using external hardisk?

what you mean install at  LANs

On 2/28/2020 at 9:05 PM, RapidTurtle said:

so can i backup gta on my steam account, and restore it on differnent steam account on my friend pc(he also owns in steam) using external hardisk?

what you mean install at  LANs

Yeah, that should work fine.

Easier to put the install files on a portable drive or network share at a lan party then to have everyone try to install from the internet and choke the connection down to nothing.