iPhones - Not for bad guys.

According to a top film director, Apple have strict rules preventing bad guys in films from using iPhones on set.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51656769

Rian Johnson, whose films include Star Wars: The Last Jedi, has revealed that Apple has some strict rules for its products. 

For his latest film, which was a crime mystery, there was one character who couldn't have an iPhone.

"Apple, they let you use iPhones in movies, but - and this is very pivotal - if you're ever watching a mystery movie, bad guys cannot have iPhones on camera," he told the magazine Vanity Fair

If true that is insanely petty of Apple. Surely they must realise that most people wouldn’t even notice, let alone make a link between their products and criminality.

Or maybe it is just Rian Johnson as they thought The Last Jedi was a crime

Guess they don't want any rotten apples. ?

Same nonsense as no Ferrari in games where cars have damage or cops are involved. Coz criminals will use bright red Ferrari's for bank robberies coz they've seen it in a game. Surely. :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Surely they must realise that most people wouldn’t even notice, let alone make a link between their products and criminality.

Product placement is a thing and it provably does actually work. People may not consciously notice brands and such, but seeing a logo or a product they are familiar with helps reinforce attachment and memory related to what they saw. It's a very popular marketing-method. That said, I doubt it'd make much difference whether the product-placement was in relation to villains or not and I feel it's just some sort of insecurity on Apple's part -- if true at all.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

23 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Product placement is a thing and it provably does actually work. People may not consciously notice brands and such, but seeing a logo or a product they are familiar with helps reinforce attachment and memory related to what they saw. It's a very popular marketing-method. That said, I doubt it'd make much difference whether the product-placement was in relation to villains or not and I feel it's just some sort of insecurity on Apple's part -- if true at all.

It's stupid nonsense. Same like with Youtube and their "advertiser friendly" BS. Like anyone is going to associate Coca Cola with Hitler because Coca Cola ad played before the Hitler's video of lets say his speech. Just the same as I'm not going to associate laundry detergents with James Bond because they rolled detergent ad in the middle of James Bond movie. It's like peak idiocy.

I mean, do bad guys ever have a product placement on them? Maybe a car but they are always using what appears to be a generic phone, you never see them drinking coke or pepsi or whatever and if they have alcohol its always in a special multi-use bottle as they pour it into a glass, never the original wine bottle or crown or something.

Not really surprising to me, just apple is more of an everyday product for most people so it stands out more 

Many products have specific rules regarding their use in film.

its a confused and somewhat ugly field of law.

This would seem to be something every  company would require regardless of whether it is a phone manufacturer or not.  Firearms seems to be a partial exception though I could see it being done there too.

Use of products in film has weird and wild subsystems.  I recall reading about a sort of reverse store that had product placement props displayed along with the amount of money a company would pay the full maker to use a particular prop.  

Do any other phone companies do this?  I suspect there are various rules for most products ignoring whether they are Apple or not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

For those worried this will serve as a spoiler let me ruin Disney movies for you.  The bad guys wear gloves.  Except Mickey that's just his style.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

15 minutes ago, That Franc said:

I'm calling a meta right now - when there's any character development involved, you'll see a good guy get his or her iPhone destroyed, and that's how you'll know they are about to turn evil

Bruh, dealing with the Apple store to get your phone fixed would turn anyone evil.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

6 hours ago, Phill104 said:

If true that is insanely petty of Apple

It’s marketing and public image. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Who cares? I am unsure why this matters at all tbh. So apple doesn't want their phone being used by bad guys and that is important why? 

Because then you immediately know who's bad, and there's no way to maintain a mystery

1 hour ago, That Franc said:

Because then you immediately know who's bad, and there's no way to maintain a mystery

Unless nobody has an iPhone. Problem solved. 

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Who cares? I am unsure why this matters at all tbh. So apple doesn't want their phone being used by bad guys and that is important why? 

It doesnt "matter" in the grand scheme of things.

But that doesnt mean its not interesting to talk about.

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Coz criminals will use bright red Ferrari's for bank robberies coz they've seen it in a game. Surely.

Is that what they said? If so, thats stupid

If its for the more logical reason of not wanting their brand associated with crime or damage, it makes a lot of sense. Same with the iphone thing.

Yeah this is pretty stupid. Who honestly cares? Apple, bad people use your phones all the time and you fight like hell to protect them. Why not let that be shown in a movie? 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

8 hours ago, Phill104 said:

Or maybe it is just Rian Johnson as they thought The Last Jedi was a crime

Pretty sure it’s just this ??

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Is this why gun companies don't let the bad guys use guns, oh wait...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Is that what they said? If so, thats stupid

If its for the more logical reason of not wanting their brand associated with crime or damage, it makes a lot of sense. Same with the iphone thing.

Associate how? Who is all of a sudden so dumb that they'd associate Ferrari brand with ANYTHING ?

58 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Is this why gun companies don't let the bad guys use guns, oh wait...

Some might.  They would have the same legal ability to..  I understand the “heavy” using one of a companies guns in a movie can drastically increase sales for that model though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:00 AM, Billie Eilish said:

I'm the Bad Guy

Well No iPhones for you.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor