Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need some advice picking out pc parts

I'm thinking i7-3770k, gtx 980, 16gb 1600mhz ram, Thermaltake 500w 80+, ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO and a Fractal Design Focus G case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, intelisfornoobs said:

I'm thinking i7-3770k, gtx 980, 16gb 1600mhz ram, Thermaltake 500w 80+, ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO and a Fractal Design Focus G case.

What's your budget? Also is there a reason you are going for hardware this outdated? Depending on how much you are planning to spend on the cpu, motherboard, and ram, it might be more beneficial for the same price to get a newer core i5 or Ryzen processor instead of an older i7.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, intelisfornoobs said:

I'm thinking i7-3770k, gtx 980, 16gb 1600mhz ram, Thermaltake 500w 80+, ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO and a Fractal Design Focus G case.

what makes you pick these parts?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

what makes you pick these parts?

Buying used gets me better value. What parts would you recommend for similar performance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The_russian said:

What's your budget? Also is there a reason you are going for hardware this outdated? Depending on how much you are planning to spend on the cpu, motherboard, and ram, it might be more beneficial for the same price to get a newer core i5 or Ryzen processor instead of an older i7.

My budget is $480.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats your budget, main use cases and region. Depending on that it may be worth looking at ryzen and the used market for a gpu :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, intelisfornoobs said:

Buying used gets me better value. What parts would you recommend for similar performance?

 

18 minutes ago, intelisfornoobs said:

My budget is $480.

with this you get a legit upgrade path, though the used GPU is still a good idea.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, intelisfornoobs said:

I'm thinking i7-3770k, gtx 980, 16gb 1600mhz ram, Thermaltake 500w 80+, ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO and a Fractal Design Focus G case.

You can easily make this parts list get to $400 flat if you exchange things such as the psu to a bronze rated 500w unit. The parts I chose are simply because I have no idea what your used market is like for gpus and figured if it is not in the best state you may end up purchasing a higher power draw card.

 

The mobo can be downgraded (based on the features you need), i chose this one due to it being a good all rounder, but, other mobos can be bought for $70 which are more or less on par, just missing a features.

 

The case is changeable based on you desire, I chose this due to my lacking knowledge of US case brands, some cases that looked ok and can be had for around $30.

 

The CPU comes with a box heat sink, which is plenty for stock speeds and maybe a small oc.

 

The ram really should stay as ryzen favours high speed + low latency. 

 

If you made the switches suggested you would have a reasonable amount for a used gpu - assuming this is for gaming 

 

Finally, xD, if you are able to save a little going with a $550 budget allows for a much more feature rich pc esp if you are able to find a used gtx 1070 for around $100 - $160

 

Not sure how strict your budget is, but i hope this helps, ryzen is well worth a look esp over older generations.

 

All the best,

Lex

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Alexander Underwood said:

You can easily make this parts list get to $400 flat if you exchange things such as the psu to a bronze rated 500w unit. The parts I chose are simply because I have no idea what your used market is like for gpus and figured if it is not in the best state you may end up purchasing a higher power draw card.

 

The mobo can be downgraded (based on the features you need), i chose this one due to it being a good all rounder, but, other mobos can be bought for $70 which are more or less on par, just missing a features.

 

The case is changeable based on you desire, I chose this due to my lacking knowledge of US case brands, some cases that looked ok and can be had for around $30.

 

The CPU comes with a box heat sink, which is plenty for stock speeds and maybe a small oc.

 

The ram really should stay as ryzen favours high speed + low latency. 

 

If you made the switches suggested you would have a reasonable amount for a used gpu - assuming this is for gaming 

 

Finally, xD, if you are able to save a little going with a $550 budget allows for a much more feature rich pc esp if you are able to find a used gtx 1070 for around $100 - $160

 

Not sure how strict your budget is, but i hope this helps, ryzen is well worth a look esp over older generations.

 

All the best,

Lex

 

Hmm. Going with an older i7 means I can get ram for practically nothing. I can overclock and get it to 4ghz. A 980 can be had for $110, 16gb or ram is around $37 and an i7-3770k can be had for $105. X chipset motherboards go for as low as $60. I have some good 7200 rpm hard drives and I value a nice case. I would remove the hdd and put the money towards a better case. I am on a more strict budget, I can spend an extra $30 but that's all. Great config.

Edited by intelisfornoobs
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Your right about upgrading. I didn't consider that

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a more complete build here. Thanks for the advice everyone!

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $119.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $89.99 @ Amazon
Memory Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $33.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case $62.87 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $38.98 @ Newegg
Custom Used Geforce GTX 980 $120.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $550.81
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $530.81
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-26 22:35 EST-0500  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2020 at 7:47 PM, Fasauceome said:

Alright. I can expand my budget by $300. I can go for $780. What do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, intelisfornoobs said:

Alright. I can expand my budget by $300. I can go for $780. What do you think?

 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, intelisfornoobs said:

For $235, I can get a 1070 ti used

It would be a small improvement over the 1660 super in terms of performance

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

It would be a small improvement over the 1660 super in terms of performance

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×