Laptop replacement, sth like 2in1 Razer blade?

Go to solution Solved by ImNotThere,
20 hours ago, Chris V said:

hmm.. ill save up then and make it a summer decision, since I cant seem to make up my mind right now. thanks for your help !

Ryzen 7 4800H / 3000 series nvidia sounds amazing to me

by the look of the 2019 models with the 8th and 9th gen intel chips it doesn't look too likely they will be changing over to AMD chips, in an ideal world they will have an option for both but I wouldn't get too excited theorycrafting a perfect laptop as they will do whatever they feel necessary and the current 10th gen intel mobile chips are looking promising.

Hey guys, looking for a laptop that is sufficient for my mobile DAW and premiere/after effects needs. I guess 1660 / 2060 ish does it. (apart from premiere, its mostly CS and LoL).

I wanna switch to single device, so it'd have to replace my ipad pro as well.

So I guess im looking for a 120 / 144hz razer blade 15. but is there a laptop thats basically that, but 2in1, with a pen as well?

I use the pen for marking up and taking notes on thousands of pages in adobe acrobat.

It doesnt need to be an ultra book, but shouldnt be too bulky and "gamery looking". I post this here, since I couldnt find any product like that (lenovo, msi, razer etc). So its kinda like a question about the market in general. Do you think my use case is just too rare? (needing 2in1, to actually hand write on the laptop; but the latter is also like a creator machine)

Thanks for your time,

Chris!

1 minute ago, Tom_nerd said:

I would recommend this one because it keeps the "gamery looks" on the low down, while wile still packing a 6 core and a RTX 2060.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-g7-17-3-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-2060-512-gb-ssd-10195362-pdt.html

hey, ty for the answer!

this is exactly what I want performance wise. just with 2in1 functionality and in 15 inch

12 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

guess that doesnt exist -.-

what I can do is get like a razer blade 15 with a 4k touch screen, but I dont think that that resolution is useful on a laptop. tricky situation. I mean I get that apple doesnt sell a laptop like that, since they also want you to buy their iPad Pro, which is an amazing product imo. But the other companies, I dont really get it. slightly bulkier than an ultrabook with a 144hz, bright 2in1 1440p display would be amazing.

Basically a lenovo x1 yoga with a dedicated gpu and higher refresh rate.

32 minutes ago, Chris V said:

guess that doesnt exist -.-

what I can do is get like a razer blade 15 with a 4k touch screen, but I dont think that that resolution is useful on a laptop. tricky situation. I mean I get that apple doesnt sell a laptop like that, since they also want you to buy their iPad Pro, which is an amazing product imo. But the other companies, I dont really get it. slightly bulkier than an ultrabook with a 144hz, bright 2in1 1440p display would be amazing.

Basically a lenovo x1 yoga with a dedicated gpu and higher refresh rate.

always ask yourself, do you NEED to have a laptop when a desktop would do everything you need and more?

Personally I need a laptop due to how often I am away from home; so having a slightly worse laptop and a dedicated desktop didn't make too much sense so while i'd prefer a full desktop and a lesser laptop, I NEEDED a high powered laptop.

36 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

always ask yourself, do you NEED to have a laptop when a desktop would do everything you need and more?

Personally I need a laptop due to how often I am away from home; so having a slightly worse laptop and a dedicated desktop didn't make too much sense so while i'd prefer a full desktop and a lesser laptop, I NEEDED a high powered laptop.

That is a good point, especially since its always more bang for buck when investing into desktop hardware. Its also easier replacable and all - I totally get that. I guess me personally, I dont really need a laptop thats that powerful, in the sense that I cant deliver work or sth that I have a deadline for. On the other hand its just the same old laptop I got now, except for a brighter, high refresh rate screen and a gpu, that doesnt make the occasional premiere and counter strike session unbearable.

What I could do without - most probably - is the pen / touch function. What do you think of an external monitor solution, that would not only provide my laptop, but also the desktop with that kinda function.

27 minutes ago, Chris V said:

That is a good point, especially since its always more bang for buck when investing into desktop hardware. Its also easier replacable and all - I totally get that. I guess me personally, I dont really need a laptop thats that powerful, in the sense that I cant deliver work or sth that I have a deadline for. On the other hand its just the same old laptop I got now, except for a brighter, high refresh rate screen and a gpu, that doesnt make the occasional premiere and counter strike session unbearable.

What I could do without - most probably - is the pen / touch function. What do you think of an external monitor solution, that would not only provide my laptop, but also the desktop with that kinda function.

Personally what I would do in your scenario is split the budget between a desktop with more horsepower and a cheaper 2 in 1 with a pen, this then meets your productivity needs for the laptop and also the functionality of the desktop

1 minute ago, ImNotThere said:

Personally what I would do in your scenario is split the budget between a desktop with more horsepower and a cheaper 2 in 1 with a pen, this then meets your productivity needs for the laptop and also the functionality of the desktop

If it'd just for notes a tablet could be in the mix. The surface go I believe works with their pen and the cheapest iPad works with the pencil. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

19 hours ago, ImNotThere said:

that sounds like the best solution to me too. I have found some options by now, namely:

- lenovo S740 yoga; 15 inch, octacore H series Intel processor, 16gb ram, gtx 1650

performance wise this'd be enough for anything I do and its 2in1 as well. However, there is no high refresh rate option available, and I'm unsure regading

- cpu throttling

- ryzen being more powerful in multitasking (which is great for DAW and Adobe suite I guess), but less power efficient. not sure which trade-off to take here

- it doesnt offer a high refresh rate option

the blade 15 on the other hand lets me choose between a 1660 ti / 2060, each with a high refresh rate screen. But it doesnt offer touch on 1080p; id have to go for 2070 to get the 4k touch option

kinda weird situation right now, I think ill just sleep a couple of nights over all this. it is quite a bunch of money considered to being spent

19 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

If it'd just for notes a tablet could be in the mix. The surface go I believe works with their pen and the cheapest iPad works with the pencil. 

both great options, and for some people that might be perfect. I have tried the iPad lifestyle and Im just annoyed at having to move files back and forth, not finding notes cuz i dont remember which device I wrote it on. iOS just doesnt cut it. with larger files (photoshop or premiere mobile) its a hassle to get them off / to the iPad. idk.

I just want 1 device to do it all, and if i have to make a sacrifice ill probably ditch the touchscreen / pen / 2in1 option.

although its quite saddening to see, that its 2020 and laptop manufacturers dont offer a high refresh rate 1080p touch option for what i consider high end devices with the craziest of prices, one should consider spending on a laptop

Generally, do you guys by chance know when 3000 series from nvidia is coming out / generally expected to make it to the laptop market?

edit: just if you know by chance, if not, I shall obviously google this myself. thanks so much for your time and input so far! ?

1 hour ago, Chris V said:

Generally, do you guys by chance know when 3000 series from nvidia is coming out / generally expected to make it to the laptop market?

edit: just if you know by chance, if not, I shall obviously google this myself. thanks so much for your time and input so far! ?

March is when nvidia say they will be releasing the 3000 series, expect 3000 series laptops from like april/june onwards

1 hour ago, Chris V said:

that sounds like the best solution to me too. I have found some options by now, namely:

- lenovo S740 yoga; 15 inch, octacore H series Intel processor, 16gb ram, gtx 1650

performance wise this'd be enough for anything I do and its 2in1 as well. However, there is no high refresh rate option available, and I'm unsure regading

- cpu throttling

- ryzen being more powerful in multitasking (which is great for DAW and Adobe suite I guess), but less power efficient. not sure which trade-off to take here

- it doesnt offer a high refresh rate option

the blade 15 on the other hand lets me choose between a 1660 ti / 2060, each with a high refresh rate screen. But it doesnt offer touch on 1080p; id have to go for 2070 to get the 4k touch option

kinda weird situation right now, I think ill just sleep a couple of nights over all this. it is quite a bunch of money considered to being spent

both great options, and for some people that might be perfect. I have tried the iPad lifestyle and Im just annoyed at having to move files back and forth, not finding notes cuz i dont remember which device I wrote it on. iOS just doesnt cut it. with larger files (photoshop or premiere mobile) its a hassle to get them off / to the iPad. idk.

I just want 1 device to do it all, and if i have to make a sacrifice ill probably ditch the touchscreen / pen / 2in1 option.

although its quite saddening to see, that its 2020 and laptop manufacturers dont offer a high refresh rate 1080p touch option for what i consider high end devices with the craziest of prices, one should consider spending on a laptop

Never liked touch on a laptop tbh. Why not the surface go then? Runs windows and comes with pen support.  

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

3 hours ago, ImNotThere said:

March is when nvidia say they will be releasing the 3000 series, expect 3000 series laptops from like april/june onwards

hmm.. ill save up then and make it a summer decision, since I cant seem to make up my mind right now. thanks for your help !

20 hours ago, Chris V said:

by the look of the 2019 models with the 8th and 9th gen intel chips it doesn't look too likely they will be changing over to AMD chips, in an ideal world they will have an option for both but I wouldn't get too excited theorycrafting a perfect laptop as they will do whatever they feel necessary and the current 10th gen intel mobile chips are looking promising.