Connect 5.1 surround to a tv??

andybeech

Hi so my brother has got a 2nd hand 5.1 surround but it has rca connections on the back how do you connect it to a tv to get 5.1 surround.

Thanks 

IMG-20200224-WA0001.thumb.jpg.b3ca74204cf5288b1cfd2e20f43812f1.jpg

Gaming rig: Windows 10 Home 64bit Gigabyte z370 hd3p Intel I5 8600k 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 240gb SSD & 1tb HDD Sound Blaster z, 2070 RTX windforce, Cooler Master Cosmos Case

Stream rig: Windows 10 Home 64bit, Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3, Amd FX 6100, 12gb mix ddr3 ram, 1060 3gb gtx windforce oc, avermedia c985, 120gb ssd, 500gb HDD, 

12 minutes ago, andybeech said:

Hi so my brother has got a 2nd hand 5.1 surround but it has rca connections on the back how do you connect it to a tv to get 5.1 surround.

Thanks 

This device doesn’t look like it does 5.1 splitting.  At least not with the connectors shown.  It wants pre-split 5.1 input.  

As far as 5.1 input it looks Pretty straight forward.  RCA is either 2 pin or one pin.  In this case it looks like one pin.  5.1 is actually 6 channel, but one isn’t amplified so it’s 0.1 instead of 1. You’ve got the 6 channels sitting there labeled.

im assuming this is the back of the second hand 5.1 device.  

The outputs on the TV are what matter.  If the TV does 5.1 splitting you’re golden.  If it DOESNT, and only has 2 channel out, more inputs will need to be found on this device, or a different device will need to be found.

What needs to be seen is what the outputs on the TV are. They can vary wildly.  Only half the required information is here.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The outputs on the TV are what matter.  If the TV does 5.1 splitting you’re golden.  If it DOESNT, and only has 2 channel out, more inputs will need to be found on this device, or a different device will need to be found.

I don't think such a device actually exists. At least I haven't found one. HDMI audio requires a video signal, and there's nothing that splits out the audio channels into 5.1 analog that I've seen. Haven't seen anything for optical that does more than stereo either.

This would probably be pretty good for a PC with 5.1 analog jacks though.

#Muricaparrotgang

27 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I don't think such a device actually exists. At least I haven't found one. HDMI audio requires a video signal, and there's nothing that splits out the audio channels into 5.1 analog that I've seen. Haven't seen anything for optical that does more than stereo either.

This would probably be pretty good for a PC with 5.1 analog jacks though.

Isn’t that called audio dembedding?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 hours ago, andybeech said:

Thanks 

optical from tv to THIS , then rcas to speakers

no optical then if having to pull from hdmi then THIS ...a little pricey

Hmm ok not an easy one then to do.

Gaming rig: Windows 10 Home 64bit Gigabyte z370 hd3p Intel I5 8600k 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 240gb SSD & 1tb HDD Sound Blaster z, 2070 RTX windforce, Cooler Master Cosmos Case

Stream rig: Windows 10 Home 64bit, Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3, Amd FX 6100, 12gb mix ddr3 ram, 1060 3gb gtx windforce oc, avermedia c985, 120gb ssd, 500gb HDD,