CPU bottleneck W/ rtx 2080

Neko Yumi
Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,

I think in BF5 and possibly The Division 2 your 9600K might just slightly hold the 2080 back, but it shouldn't be anything noticeable if I was to guess. Either way, it will be a major improvement over the 970 and you should have a great experience.

Make sure to remove your current graphics drivers using DDU, and then reinstall the latest from Nvidia's website. It's not an absolute necessity, as you're not going from Nvidia to AMD for example, but it is good practice and you'll be sure that you won't run into any problems/incompatibilities.

Hello everyone, 

I have upgraded my system a couple months back, but with a certain turn of events, i am getting a brand new RTX 2080 XC GAMING from EVGA. 

My biggest question with this upgrade is... will my CPU bottleneck?

Here's my system specs

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z-390A

Processor : Intel I5 9600K @3.70GHz 

RAM: HyperX 2x 8 gigs DDR4 @3200 MHZ

Current GPU : MSI GTX 970 OC 

Bootdrive : Kingston SSD 250 gigs 

Running games on similar spec'd SSD. 

Please do not hesitate to recommand or ask any questions in the replies ~ thank you very much for your time and for reading this post! 

EDIT 1 : Forgot to mention that this will be used mainly for gaming in such games as :

-Battlefield V

-COD MW 2019

-The Division 2

-Rainbow Six Siege

- World of Warships

-NFS heat

Edited by Neko Yumi
Forgot to mention PC uses

1 minute ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

No u will be fine a i5 9600k is pretty decent 

That honestly reassures me alot. 

May i also ask if there is any BIOS changes i need to apply to make sure everything runs smoothly?

Thank you very much for your time ~

1 minute ago, Neko Yumi said:

Hello everyone, 

I have upgraded my system a couple months back, but with a certain turn of events, i am getting a brand new RTX 2080 XC GAMING from EVGA. 

Here's my system specs

Please do not hesitate to recommand or ask any questions in the replies ~ thank you very much for your time and for reading this post! 

Depends on resolution / refresh.

If running 60hz 4k, not so much.

If running 240hz 1080p,  perhaps a bit.

Either way: dont spend time worrying on that, spend time enjoying excellent hardware! :)

Just now, PacketMan said:

Is your screen more than 60hz?

My screen is a BenQ 1920x1080 at 144Hz.

1 minute ago, Bartholomew said:

Depends on resolution / refresh.

If running 60hz 4k, not so much.

If running 240hz 1080p,  perhaps a bit.

Either way: dont spend time worrying on that, spend time enjoying excellent hardware! :)

Well i am half half.

I am using 1920x1080 resolution at 144Hz 1080P although i am not sure if i could even try to render at 1440P with current monitor

But thank you, that really reassures me since i upgraded very recently.. 

Just now, Neko Yumi said:

That honestly reassures me alot. 

May i also ask if there is any BIOS changes i need to apply to make sure everything runs smoothly?

Thank you very much for your time ~

Remove the Drivers of the 970 pull it out put the 2080 in install the drivers and thats it u dont need to go into the bios for that :) U should make sure u have 2 pci power cabels tho your 970 only needs one 

Remove the Drivers of the 970 pull it out put the 2080 in install the drivers and thats it u dont need to go into the bios for that :) U should make sure u have 2 pci power cabels tho your 970 only needs one 

I am pretty sure i do, i bought a modular PSU so i should.

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

Then it will be hard in some games to achieve 144 fps, but if you are okay for now getting "only" 100 fps, 120 fps, etc then yeah you can keep your 9600K, or you could OC it a bit, it's a good CPU

Could you help me out at a "safe" OC? I am not really sure what i possibly could do.

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

Then it will be hard in some games to achieve 144 fps, but if you are okay for now getting "only" 100 fps, 120 fps, etc then yeah you can keep your 9600K, or you could OC it a bit, it's a good CPU

A 9600K has a better single core then my 8700k and it never struggelt pushing 144hz on lower settings in any kind of game with my 2080 super so nah that cpu is more then fine right now and fits a 2080 perfect 

2 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

I am pretty sure i do, i bought a modular PSU so i should.

Sounds good just check to be sure :D cause if its modular maybe the second one is still in the box haha 

6 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

A 9600K has a better single core then my 8700k and it never struggelt pushing 144hz on lower settings in any kind of game with my 2080 super so nah that cpu is more then fine right now and fits a 2080 perfect 

Sounds good just check to be sure :D cause if its modular maybe the second one is still in the box haha 

That's what i am trying to figure out right now i don't remember what i did with those cables haha~

I think in BF5 and possibly The Division 2 your 9600K might just slightly hold the 2080 back, but it shouldn't be anything noticeable if I was to guess. Either way, it will be a major improvement over the 970 and you should have a great experience.

Make sure to remove your current graphics drivers using DDU, and then reinstall the latest from Nvidia's website. It's not an absolute necessity, as you're not going from Nvidia to AMD for example, but it is good practice and you'll be sure that you won't run into any problems/incompatibilities.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Thank you so much Matey, can i just ask you what is DDU? I have never heard of it.

13 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Do confirm me this:  a powercable called VGA is a video card power cable right?

2 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Sorry man, it's been a long time since I OC'd my i7 6700K, all the chips are different but you have plenty of help here, just create a new thread for i5 9600K and see what OC people applied to their CPUs!

There are some games that will require a bit more for 144 fps, open-world games are coming out 24/7 and sometimes it will be hard pushing a high framerate (i.e. The Witcher 3 which I had problems with my i5 6600 so I upgraded to an i7 6700K and still didn't get that sweet 144 fps), but yeah I agree with you, most games are fine for an i5 9600K and personally I don't think there's a real reason to spend hundreds for a few more fps

It's not a problem, thank you very much anyway for even being here in the first place!

4 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

looks like this.PNG

3 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

Should be a 6pin with 2 extra pins hanging of it 

Vga power is right y 

Y thats it 

Perfect, then i have those cables ~ everything should be set then!

19 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

Thank you so much Matey, can i just ask you what is DDU? I have never heard of it.

It's an utility that removes your graphics driver, including any leftovers it might leave behind if you were to just uninstall it normally. You will need to disconnect your internet connection and run DDU in safe mode, then after restarting install the driver (which you should download before all of this), then you can plug your internet back in. It's really not that complicated as it might seem, though if you feel you'd rather not do it, there is a chance that the new card will work fine even with your current driver, so you could just try to see if it works fine without doing anything.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

It's an utility that removes your graphics driver, including any leftovers it might leave behind if you were to just uninstall it normally. You will need to disconnect your internet connection and run DDU in safe mode, then after restarting install the driver (which you should download before all of this), then you can plug your internet back in. It's really not that complicated as it might seem, though if you feel you'd rather not do it, there is a chance that the new card will work fine even with your current driver, so you could just try to see if it works fine without doing anything.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Thank you very much, i'll try it out when the time comes~

1 hour ago, Neko Yumi said:

Hello everyone, 

Here's my system specs

EDIT 1 : Forgot to mention that this will be used mainly for gaming in such games as :

-Battlefield V

-COD MW 2019

-The Division 2

-Rainbow Six Siege

- World of Warships

-NFS heat

I mean that cpu has more than enough single thread performance to not cause a bottleneck in the vast majority of games. In very CPU dependent ones like BF5 you might be a little CPU limited on a 6 core, but to be honest it shouldn't be by much. I think the question comes down to refresh rate and resolution. At 1080p you might get a 5-20FPS hit in max fps.. which if you are getting 150-170ish who cares. At 1440p and up I doubt there will be any bottleneck. If you enable ray-tracing at 1080p there will also probably not be a bottleneck.

You have to remember that there is always going to be a bottleneck. It can be a GPU or CPU bottleneck. I mean even the fastest CPU out right now will bottle neck even a mid level card if you play at something like 720p. If you are concerned about not seeing 99% gpu usage then just play with the settings to increase the load on the GPU. Even if you play at say 1080p you can play with increase the resolution scale to increase the load on the GPU while also adding a little more detail to your game.

Just remember it isn't about if there is a bottleneck or not... it is all about where the bottleneck occurs. If you are able to break 120+ fps before it happens then I wouldn't even worry about it.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

I mean that cpu has more than enough single thread performance to not cause a bottleneck in the vast majority of games. In very CPU dependent ones like BF5 you might be a little CPU limited on a 6 core, but to be honest it shouldn't be by much. I think the question comes down to refresh rate and resolution. At 1080p you might get a 5-20FPS hit in max fps.. which if you are getting 150-170ish who cares. At 1440p and up I doubt there will be any bottleneck. If you enable ray-tracing at 1080p there will also probably not be a bottleneck.

You have to remember that there is always going to be a bottleneck. It can be a GPU or CPU bottleneck. I mean even the fastest CPU out right now will bottle neck even a mid level card if you play at something like 720p. If you are concerned about not seeing 99% gpu usage then just play with the settings to increase the load on the GPU. Even if you play at say 1080p you can play with increase the resolution scale to increase the load on the GPU while also adding a little more detail to your game.

Just remember it isn't about if there is a bottleneck or not... it is all about where the bottleneck occurs. If you are able to break 120+ fps before it happens then I wouldn't even worry about it.

I was mostly worried about, in general, hitting performance due to my I5 not being able to follow my RTX 2080.

All and all, if i am able to play with stable 60-144 FPS smoothly without any stutters, that's all that really matters.

Thank you for the detailed explaination. That really helped ❤️

9 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

I was mostly worried about, in general, hitting performance due to my I5 not being able to follow my RTX 2080.

All and all, if i am able to play with stable 60-144 FPS smoothly without any stutters, that's all that really matters.

Thank you for the detailed explaination. That really helped ❤️

This should give you and idea of what to expect

6:35 is the division

10:08 is BF5

Honestly there isn't much to worry about

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

This should give you and idea of what to expect

6:35 is the division

10:08 is BF5

Honestly there isn't much to worry about

Interesting results... i've watched linus's video about bottlenecking as well to get myself an idea and that video shows exactly what he meant by "increasing performance to lower bottlenecking" 

Now what i wonder is what the video's owner has done in his settings to overclock the CPU to 5.0 GHZ..