Stuttering in games with high fps

ChrisZH

So when I play games that I have high fps in I get weird stuttering at times. I have a Radeon VII, and a ryzen 3800x. 16gb 3600 cl16 with fabric to 1800. I'm running on nvme drives. The games are like path of exile, grim dawn, lost ark ru. I don't have stutters from what I can tell in games such as The Outer World. Let me know if you need more information.

11 hours ago, ChrisZH said:

Anyone have ideas?

Yes. Posting to correct subforum helps. Moved to PC Gaming.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/22/2020 at 12:07 PM, ChrisZH said:

So when I play games that I have high fps in I get weird stuttering at times. I have a Radeon VII, and a ryzen 3800x. 16gb 3600 cl16 with fabric to 1800. I'm running on nvme drives. The games are like path of exile, grim dawn, lost ark ru. I don't have stutters from what I can tell in games such as The Outer World. Let me know if you need more information.

Do you see an actual drop in framerate, or is it just a stuttery feeling, but the framerate stays the same? What monitor do you have, and what are you using to measure framerate?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yes. Posting to correct subforum helps. Moved to PC Gaming.

Thanks, sorry about that! Wasn't sure where to put.

7 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you see an actual drop in framerate, or is it just a stuttery feeling, but the framerate stays the same? What monitor do you have, and what are you using to measure framerate?

It's minor fps drops, like 2-5fps but feels really laggy. I'm using a 1440p 144hz monitor over DP. I don't know if there's a cable difference between DP 1.4 or 1.2. I monitor with afterburner but I have tried with Radeon monitoring too. Fps stays average over 120 tho. Also I heard on these x570 certain memory timings are difficult and slightly unstable. Could that cause stuff like this?

7 hours ago, ChrisZH said:

It's minor fps drops, like 2-5fps but feels really laggy. I'm using a 1440p 144hz monitor over DP. I don't know if there's a cable difference between DP 1.4 or 1.2. I monitor with afterburner but I have tried with Radeon monitoring too. Fps stays average over 120 tho. Also I heard on these x570 certain memory timings are difficult and slightly unstable. Could that cause stuff like this?

Do you have FreeSync?

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you have FreeSync?

Yep, and adaptive sync is enabled.

5 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

Yep, and adaptive sync is enabled.

Is V-Sync off in the game?  If it's not, or if it's being forced elsewhere, then a drop from 144fps to 143fps will effectively just cut your framerate to 72fps.  It sounds like FreeSync isn't working properly.

14 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Is V-Sync off in the game?  If it's not, or if it's being forced elsewhere, then a drop from 144fps to 143fps will effectively just cut your framerate to 72fps.  It sounds like FreeSync isn't working properly.

V-Sync should be turned off when freesync is enabled?

2 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

V-Sync should be turned off when freesync is enabled?

Yes.  FreeSync is a replacement for V-Sync.  V-Sync prevents tearing by splitting your framerate in half whenever you don't match your monitor's refresh rate.  Adaptive Sync technologies interact with your monitor to lower the refresh rate so it matches your framerate.

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yes.  FreeSync is a replacement for V-Sync.  V-Sync prevents tearing by splitting your framerate in half whenever you don't match your monitor's refresh rate.  Adaptive Sync technologies interact with your monitor to lower the refresh rate so it matches your framerate.

I thought AMD wants freesync active with V-Sync on as well. Could it be that my monitor is expecting a DP1.4 connection instead of the 1.2 cable?

31 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

I thought AMD wants freesync active with V-Sync on as well. Could it be that my monitor is expecting a DP1.4 connection instead of the 1.2 cable?

No. Please just disable V-sync in game.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

No. Please just disable V-sync in game.

I'll try it out later on and see what happens.