Review: Dt990 Pro & Fiio E10

I am reviewing the DT990 Pro’s with the Fiio E10 because they really don’t sound as good as they should without it. Yes I have tried more expensive amps, yes I took them back. The problem is that the quality to price ratio just goes ridiculously out of proportion and this E10 is just perfect in my eyes.

Aesthetics:
This category is extremely opinionated, but I will try to provide a varied view on it.
The Fiio E10 is a beautiful thing, a little black brushed aluminium box, that feels solid, with a wheel to change volume that comes in really handy. Not much more to say, that’s it really.

h4X197e.png

The DT990‘s are, to me, a thing to behold. They are made of an extremely rugged plastic, with metal forks and headband. They feel really solid, which is important considering the lack of removable cord, something at first I was sceptical about, but now I have had them for  a year I can tell you they are like new. The extremely flexible curly cord has also come into use more times than I thought.
2FRyIMU.png

The velour pads on these are just amazing. Imagine extremely light, soft pillows resting around your ears. If I were to buy another pair of headphones, it would have to be this comfy. I think the fact I can wear them for 12 hours+ no problem says it all.

PZsmKVS.png
Sound (What you have all been waiting for):

The Fiio E10 just transformed my laptop and desktop audio experience. It is a DAC (digital audio converter) and an amplifier in one tiny device, and I was amazed when the noise and distortion going to my DT990's just completely disappeared, I can get to ear exploding levels with next to no distortion.

40zfM5E.png
One problem, however, is that the ‘bass’ switch is utter garbage, when turning it on the sound turns into a muddy mess.. Just don’t turn it on, use a decent eq if you really want to change the sound.

OK, this is it, what you have all been waiting for, how do the DT990 Pro’s sound?

This is not an easy thing for me to describe, but I will do my best. These headphones sound, simply phenomenal. Although audiophiles may explain how they have no mids, that is not strictly true. Play adele and the vocals are quite frankly breathtaking due to the open design these headphones use.

Although they leak a fair amount because of this (wouldn’t want to use these on the bus and/or train) , the benefits of open vs closed for me are more than worth the lack of isolation. However, the audiophiles are right, they do have emphasised bass and treble, leading to a ‘v-shaped’ response curve, known as a fun headphone. This is exactly what the DT990‘s are, fun.

In video games, the whole world immerses you, the instrument separation on these cans in uncanny (bad pun alert), and you can very clearly pick out the different sounds in different directions, maybe not as well as the almost synthetic sounding AKG Q701 and the likes, but far better than any closed can.

These cans are great for video games and bass oriented music. Although they do sound great with pretty much everything I have thrown at it (from smooth jazz to glitch-hop). If you are looking for some comfy headphones that are good for gaming and bassy music, along with an external sound-card solution, the DT990 Pro’s with the Fiio E10 are a great bet.

Well done if you got this far! Thanks for reading, any suggestions would be great, this was my first ever review so go easy.

P.S Loving the new forum

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

nice review. the The Fiio E10 reminds me of my Pro-Ject audio box. Simple, inexpensive and a quality boost I can't describe.

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

Its a fun and forgiving headphone all right. And you can beat the crap out of it and it will still work. I hate that coiled cord though.

Nice review btw. Bass boost switches always make me chuckle. I still laugh watching that thatsnazzyiphoneguy reviewing the O2 and confusing the gain switch with a bass boost switch.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I also have the e10 and I am in love with it. What ohm of the Dt990's do you have I was thinking of getting one.

What ohm of the Dt990's do you have

It says right on his headphones in the picture, 250 Ohms

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I also have the e10 and I am in love with it. What ohm of the Dt990's do you have I was thinking of getting one.

It says right on his headphones in the picture, 250 Ohms

Yeah, I have the Pro version which is the same as the premium version exept with less metal, a cheaper price tag and they rate at 250 ohms.

I have been looking for headphones for quite a while and these are the only one that seems to meet all my requirements.

But I am wondering if my soundcard can power these, since my soundcard (Xonar DGX) Has 3 modes for impedance:

>32ohm

32ohm> >64ohm

>64ohm

Do you guys think I can reach a decent loudness?

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I have been looking for headphones for quite a while and these are the only one that seems to meet all my requirements.

But I am wondering if my soundcard can power these, since my soundcard (Xonar DGX) Has 3 modes for impedance:

>32ohm

32ohm> >64ohm

>64ohm

Definitely

>32ohm

32ohm> >64ohm

>64ohm

As h264 said, definately. The ohm rating it shows there is effectively low gain, mid gain and high gain, not what ohm headphones it can power (as this depends on the sensitivity of the headphones also)

Great review, always wanted to get a Filo DAC/AMP

• 7 months later...

How was the headphone jack on your E10? I find it very loose with my DT770s as they connector does not really lock in. I hear this is how they all are though. I got a bad unit that has buzzing and popping in the left ear of my cans when using the headphone jack. I hear this is not a very common issue, but they do use cheap jacks. Hopefully the new one I buy won't have this issue.

I bought the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm which is basically a closed DT990, as I need the isolation. I would have preferred the open DT990s, but these seem pretty solid for closed cans. Pretty good soundstage and suitable for any type of listening.

PC: Ryzen 5 2600 // 16 GB Corsair 3200 // MSI RX 580 8 GB // 500 GB WD Blue M.2 (sata) // Silverstone Raven RVZ03B // Fedora 33

LAPTOP: i7 5700HQ // 16 GB Kingston 1866 // GTX 970M // 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 // 1 TB HDD // Windows 10

ETC: (2) Dell U2515H (2560x1440) // Corsair K63 // Logitech G603 // FiiO E10 // Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (250 ohm) // Audio Technica ATH-M60x

Nice review!  I was looking at picking up this same combo in the near future, though maybe with the FiiO E17 instead, not sure.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

i have been thinking of getting the Fiio e10 for a long time now! I think my ath m50 will sound even better with it. They already sound really good but i still think they can get better. There is just one problem the fiio e10 costs a lot here in Sweden :( 

How was the headphone jack on your E10? I find it very loose with my DT770s as they connector does not really lock in. I hear this is how they all are though. I got a bad unit that has buzzing and popping in the left ear of my cans when using the headphone jack. I hear this is not a very common issue, but they do use cheap jacks. Hopefully the new one I buy won't have this issue.

I bought the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm which is basically a closed DT990, as I need the isolation. I would have preferred the open DT990s, but these seem pretty solid for closed cans. Pretty good soundstage and suitable for any type of listening.

I can say that I do not have that problem, my 2 headphone cables both plug in snugly with a click.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been thinking of getting the Fiio e10 for a long time now! I think my ath m50 will sound even better with it. They already sound really good but i still think they can get better. There is just one problem the fiio e10 costs a lot here in Sweden :(

I ordered it the 24th, it arrived today. It is mindblowing, makes my listening experience with the dt-990's so much better! I haven't tried it with the m50's yet, but I probably will in the following week, as my friend has got a pair.

You can do as I did, and order it from amazon.co.uk, as it's a shitload cheaper than from retailers in Denmark. Be sure to order from EA Audio, if you do order it there. The price is 62£, which equals to 665 SEK.

• 3 weeks later...

Got same setup, can't hear the difference with or without E10. really baffled, maybe it's not that day and night difference i was expecting.

I like the review, non technical with fancy charts and what not. 

:/