What is the deal with used CPU prices?

STHam

No, this is not the start of a Seinfeld bit...

I've been looking to pick up a Used CPU to either build a budget multi-core system, or to get the most out of an old AMD system I have sitting around. But the market for used CPUs seems to be crazy! The best CPU I could put in my old AMD system is a Phenon II X6 1100T. It's a 6 core processor from 10 years ago. It was pretty nice back then, but now it lacks hyper-threading, and only has the power of a ~$60 Athlon 3000G. How much do people want for these things used? $100 to $120 on both eBay and AliExpress. 

It just leaves me shaking my head... why? I'd like to get a little extra mileage from an aging system, but how do I justify spending more than a new CPU with roughly equivalent power?

Ham-out.

That doesn't surprise me at all, Phenom II X6s still pack a decent punch even these days.

@CircleTech can probably go into a lot more detail than me as to exactly why they're worth that much, but I'd be willing to bet it's partially based on performance, partially based on supply and demand.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The main reason why cpu prices are high when sold individually is due to capitalizing on people already invested in the platform. You usually get better deals picking up complete or partial systems if you're buying into an old platform. For example, good samples of my 4790k price all over the damn place by merit of being such a strong cpu for its platform

As a general rule, the most powerful option of each platform will demand a large premium on the used market. Step down a tier or 2 and see

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Why not sell your current PC and buy a new one?

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

For $100 you can find old i5s or i7s for 1151.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, geokilla said:

Why not sell your current PC and buy a new one?

Bottom line, I don't really need a new one, just looking to extend the life of this one.

2 hours ago, RGProductions said:

As a general rule, the most powerful option of each platform will demand a large premium on the used market. Step down a tier or 2 and see

You've definitely nailed it. Dropping down one step lowers the price to about $75.

15 hours ago, STHam said:

but how do I justify spending more than a new CPU with roughly equivalent power?

Imo, I don't think its justifiable. When you can get a Ryzey 5 2600 for $120 that has more than double the performance of an 1100T, it just doesn't make sense

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

you're telling me. trying to find parts for a 1090T-BE system makes my wallet weep

Motherboards are generally worth a lot more than CPUs for older platforms, I've also found.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, FrostBittn said:

Imo, I don't think its justifiable. When you can get a Ryzey 5 2600 for $120 that has more than double the performance of an 1100T, it just doesn't make sense

Especially with RAM cheap now too.

You can get a new 1600AF for about $85, that is the same price point and you will get a warranty as well more cores than most used options. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a used B350 board, just ask the owner if they can update the BIOS before sending it, otherwise you might be stuck.