How to migrate a VM on VMware workstation

Riptide0

I have recentky gotten a new server up and running and would like to move my pihole vm to said new server. Is it as simple as copying and pasting and opening said vm or is there a specific process I have to follow to migrate the vm?

On VMWare you can copy the VM folder over to a new machine then open it, VMWare will ask if you copied it to a new machine or moved it to another folder when you first open it, answer accordingly and it will work.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

On VMWare you can copy the VM folder over to a new machine then open it, VMWare will ask if you copied it to a new machine or moved it to another folder when you first open it, answer accordingly and it will work.

Where about can you do this? I'm on the free version so IDK if that matters but I don't see this option.

Just copy the folder and run it.

Sometimes all it needs is a directory update.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, Riptide0 said:

Where about can you do this? I'm on the free version so IDK if that matters but I don't see this option.

Doesn't matter if it's free.

To look up your working directory, right click on the vm, go to settings and options.

Find the working directory.

image.png.be55bcc6800f509648dec574eb105905.png

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Doesn't matter if it's free.

To look up your working directory, right click on the vm, go to settings and options.

Find the working directory.

image.png.be55bcc6800f509648dec574eb105905.png

I've got it copied over and I can't seem to run it still. Do I need to copy over the original iso or is that not needed? Would it be necessary to copy it to the documents folder or can I put it on any drive?

Just now, Riptide0 said:

I've got it copied over and I can't seem to run it still. Do I need to copy over the original iso or is that not needed? Would it be necessary to copy it to the documents folder or can I put it on any drive?

To specify I'm getting the error "Error while powering on: Unable to find the vmx binary'F:\vmware-vmx.exe'

You need to get VMWare Converter (free) and convert the WS VM to an infrastructure VM. (assuming I read that right and you are pushing it to a ESXi free host)

7 minutes ago, Riptide0 said:

You can place it anywhere even run it in different pc.

7 minutes ago, Riptide0 said:

To specify I'm getting the error "Error while powering on: Unable to find the vmx binary'F:\vmware-vmx.exe'

reinstall vmware probably help.

14 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can place it anywhere even run it in different pc.

reinstall vmware probably help.

The reinstall fixed it. Thank you very much.

In future, just use VMWare Converter. 

Its a tool for P2V (Physical to Virtual) and V2V (Virtual to Virtual) migrations. 

As far as V2V you can migrate entire machines between ESXi's, Workstation, Fusion, Player etc....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA