AMD 3990X pushed to 5.748 GHz on single core-wins 5 WRs

Pretty insane news; Asrock worked with an overclocker called SPLAVE to overclock the 3990x to 5.748 GHz, in addition to breaking other records. 

SPLAVEs hwbot profile: https://hwbot.org/user/splave/

Original source: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/asrock_claims_5_world_records_with_its_trx40_taichi_and_amd_s_ryzen_threadripper_3990x/1

What makes this interesting is that, since the 3990x is supposed to be using the messed binned chiplets that AMD makes, and that trx40 has some of the highest available power budget, is that this could become THE single socket overclocking platform. 

I thought that I had already heard about this on the gamers nexus overclocking stream...

-= Topic Moved to General Discussion =-

@Camofelix Please review the guidelines for this sub-forum and update your post accordingly.

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@Gamers Nexus RIP 

Is there any point in doing single-core OC to a 3990X (or other high-core-count CPUs in the past) as opposed to basically any other chip with the same architecture?

I understand they're doing this for the headlines, but my question is: why do we give headlines to such "records", instead of focusing on all-core overclocks? Even with exotic cooling, it would still be closer to a representation of what "squeezing everything out of your CPU" looks like, while single-core OC is something you can do with the $50 CPU...

(Hence why I say "record", since it's not a single-core record, but a "single-core with this particular model of CPU" record, but why do we care about this particular model if we're just using one core...)

19 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Is there any point in doing single-core OC to a 3990X (or other high-core-count CPUs in the past) as opposed to basically any other chip with the same architecture?

I understand they're doing this for the headlines, but my question is: why do we give headlines to such "records", instead of focusing on all-core overclocks? Even with exotic cooling, it would still be closer to a representation of what "squeezing everything out of your CPU" looks like, while single-core OC is something you can do with the $50 CPU...

(Hence why I say "record", since it's not a single-core record, but a "single-core with this particular model of CPU" record, but why do we care about this particular model if we're just using one core...)

The reason they used this instead of a 3600 is because the highest SKU almost always has the best binned chips. They’re going for the #1 spot they need the highest binning achievable and they wouldn’t get that if they bought a cheap CPU on the same architecture.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

The reason they used this instead of a 3600 is because the highest SKU almost always has the best binned chips. They’re going for the #1 spot they need the highest binning achievable

The highest spot of what, though? This isn't the highest single-core clocks ever achieved (nor two-core OC for that matter), not even close. It's just the highest on a 3990X. 

So yeah, I guess that you need a 3990X to achieve the "highest 1-core OC on a 3990X" spot, but that's tautological.

I do believe the true reason to do this is that "5.8 GHZ on a 3990X" headlines will trick many minds to think of 64 x 5.8GHz CPUs..

54 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I do believe the true reason to do this is that "5.8 GHZ on a 3990X" headlines will trick many minds to think of 64 x 5.8GHz CPUs..

I wouldn't go as far to say that, but it certainly goes as far as making the biggest chip with the most cores go the fastest.   Which sells more articles and ads than "domestic office machine clocks up second fastest OC on X".

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The highest spot of what, though? This isn't the highest single-core clocks ever achieved (nor two-core OC for that matter), not even close. It's just the highest on a 3990X. 

The highest 3990X (possible highest Zen 2?)

He got many records they're all mentioned in the article:

Awesome, neat to see how each gen can OC though. What would be amazing is to see clocks ~ to it on AIO with less core counts eventually. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, Camofelix said:

5.748 GHz

Image result for sweating man

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Exotic cooling I assume.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Exotic cooling I assume.

World records are almost always on liquid nitrogen unless specified, highest overclock on aircooling or something like that.

I think they mess arround with even more exotic stuff like liquid helium as well but don't know too much about that myself.

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

8 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

The highest 3990X

... and we're back to square one ? That was exactly my point from the beginning:

- if we restrict our attention to 3990X CPUs, why do we look at single-core rankings instead of all-core rankings? Because higher numbers are more impressive?

- if we don't restrict our attention to 3990X CPUs, who cares?

The other records, if related to multi-core benchmarks, are all fine, hence why I didn't question those, but only the headline-grabbing single core OC, why it gets attention, etc, etc.

6 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

... and we're back to square one ? That was exactly my point from the beginning:

- if we restrict our attention to 3990X CPUs, why do we look at single-core rankings instead of all-core rankings? Because higher numbers are more impressive?

The other records, if related to multi-core benchmarks, are all fine, hence why I didn't question those, but only the headline-grabbing single core OC, why it gets attention, etc, etc.

The reason is simple - there is money in this.  Advertising for the companies providing the materials, teams for the OCers etc.  Money, money, money.  None of this done was free or without expecting an investment return over time for both parties (providers of materials, guy in charge of OCing)

TBH There are plenty of world records for crap in the Guinness Books that shouldn't be considered a world record, but that's not for me to define.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I understand your point,but in this day and age how can you not want to grab a bottle of lotion and hit the bedroom with this world record!!!!

Idiocracy wasn't just a movie.... it was a prophecy. 

Anything for headlines, and bragging rights...  Even if illogical.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Probably hijacking this thread a little bit, but I still feel like this question is at least partly relevant... Is there and if there is... A record for actual "best" OC as in actual horse power record? Not just highest number in GHz, but the fastest GHz slash IPC, thus the highest single core productivity record or something? Because I am pretty sure that while say 7 gigahurtz sounds cool, if it was achieved on some old, by nowadays considered shit architecture with poor IPC, it would hardly beat even normally clocked everyday CPU.

14 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don’t understand your point though. Most world records are arbitrary, this guy broke the 3990X single-core, someone else probably holds the multi-core. Saying it’s not the higher MHz overall is also flawed, again it’s arbitrary because different architectures can do more or less with the same MHz.