upgrade path for AMD FX-4300

So I have an AMD FX-4300 *sigh* I know, it's old. I'm looking to still buy another FX cpu on the cheap, but what is the best one? I don't have much money to buy a new motherboard.

3 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

I'd recommend upgrading to Ryzen, that platform is pretty obsolete at this point.

I know, but I really just want a new cpu, iv'e had this one for YEARS and I can feel it dying on me now. It's had daily use for over 4 years now and it's overheating and performance has dropped dramatically over the last few months. I'm just looking to purchase a new FX cpu to keep me going until I can afford to upgrade everything else.

3 minutes ago, AshesoftheWake1 said:

So I have an AMD FX-4300 *sigh* I know, it's old. I'm looking to still buy another FX cpu on the cheap, but what is the best one? I don't have much money to buy a new motherboard.

The only advantage in sticking with AM3+ is more cores, with something like an 8320 for example. But your single core speed won't go up, which is what most people look for in an upgrade (for gaming for example).

I would not suggest putting more money into your current platform, unless you can get it for next to nothing, or if you need more cores.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

I'd recommend upgrading to Ryzen, that platform is pretty obsolete at this point.

I don't have much money to buy a new motherboard.

Maybe look for a 8120, but the upgrade wont really be notesabol. you're better of saving your money and wait for a platform upgrade

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

You can go for FX 6300 or 8350.

But the performance wont be huge.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, minibois said:

The only advantage in sticking with AM3+ is more cores, with something like an 8320 for example. But your single core speed won't go up, which is what most people look for in an upgrade (for gaming for example).

I would not suggest putting more money into your current platform, unless you can get it for next to nothing, or if you need more cores.

I should have said in the original post that my CPU is dying it keeps over heating and it's really effecting performance in simple things like even watching a video. I really need a new cpu regardless and i'm just wondering which is the best FX CPU to pick up as they're all pretty cheap.

7 minutes ago, AshesoftheWake1 said:

I suggest hitting used marketplaces and looking for even a first gen Ryzen CPU.

Just now, AshesoftheWake1 said:

I should have said in the original post that my CPU is dying it keeps over heating and it's really effecting performance in simple things like even watching a video. I really need a new cpu regardless and i'm just wondering which is the best FX CPU to pick up as they're all pretty cheap.

If you really want one any of the 8000 series ones should be okay for you, but like I said, first gen Ryzen would probably even be a massive upgrade for you.

Honestly with the 1600AF out there, AM3+ is very dead.

Don't even bother. Get a 1600AF, 8 Gigs if you want to keep it very cheap and a very basic board and you are good to go.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, AshesoftheWake1 said:

An overheating CPU is not the CPU's fault, it's more likely:

- bad thermal paste

- clogged up CPU cooler

- clogged up case fans

- bad airflow in general

Throwing a new CPU at the problem won't fix overheating issues.

What AM3+ CPU's you could get depends on the board you have. In general I would at most recommend an 8320/8350, followed by the 6350/6300. That's 8 cores or 6 cores respectively.

The best FX CPU is the 9590, but that can only run properly on certain 990FX boards, since it's basically a heavily OC'ed 8350.

But again, you get next to no single core performance boost and only more cores.

Something like Ryzen 1600 AF runs you 80-100 USD, 2x4GB DDR4 3000Mhz about 80 USD and a simple board for it is around 80 USD too. That would be a much better upgrade, but of course more expensive.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

A 4300 is in practice a dual core with smt.

It's a waste of money, but upgrading to an fx-8350 will bump you up to am in practice quad core chip and it will act like a 4/8 chip.

If you can score one cheap or free, it's worth it.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, AshesoftheWake1 said:

No such thing as a dying CPU, if it's dead it is dead. Overheating is the heatsink problem. Clean the heatsink, replace thermal paste, and it should work as it was.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

15 minutes ago, AshesoftheWake1 said:

Does your mobo support overclocking and do you have decent cooler in hand

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

No such thing as a dying CPU, if it's dead it is dead. Overheating is the heatsink problem. Clean the heatsink, replace thermal paste, and it should work as it was.

I agree to a point, but cpu's degrade over time. Overclocks stable when new might become unstable a couple years down the road, so it is possible the cpu could be going. However if you haven't already repasting the cpu and reseating the heat sink is always a good first step to see if a new cpu is necessary 

Ryzen 3600 @4.3ghz stock voltage, Rx 580 @1460mhz core @2150mhz Mem, Asus Prime x570-p, G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Cl 16-17-17-37

6 minutes ago, Benx said:

I agree to a point, but cpu's degrade over time. Overclocks stable when new might become unstable a couple years down the road, so it is possible the cpu could be going. However if you haven't already repasting the cpu and reseating the heat sink is always a good first step to see if a new cpu is necessary 

The performance is noticeably worse than what it was a year ago. I'm putting this down to the performance of the CPU as on Task manager it's pretty much at 99% usage all the time and it's overheating, yeah sure I agree about the Thermal paste as it has not been replaced since I first put it on, I just got some new stuff so i'll apply it within the next week or so if that doesn't improve anything then i'll try a new heat sink and then if it comes it then a new CPU. 

The performance is noticeably worse than what it was a year ago. I'm putting this down to the performance of the CPU as on Task manager it's pretty much at 99% usage all the time and it's overheating, yeah sure I agree about the Thermal paste as it has not been replaced since I first put it on, I just got some new stuff so i'll apply it within the next week or so if that doesn't improve anything then i'll try a new heat sink and then if it comes it then a new CPU. 

Good plan. Good luck.

Ryzen 3600 @4.3ghz stock voltage, Rx 580 @1460mhz core @2150mhz Mem, Asus Prime x570-p, G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Cl 16-17-17-37

1 hour ago, AshesoftheWake1 said:

What clock is it running at? Is it downlclocking?

Try a reinstall, might be a software issue.

17 hours ago, AshesoftheWake1 said:

FX is all garbage. You'd be better off upgrading to Ryzen.