Microsoft pulls KB4524244 due to BSOD, OS freezes, boot loops, and installation issues

Tannah

I really wish Microsoft would properly test their updates and not make the end users the beta testers.

Makes me glad I postpone updates for a few days with Windows 10 pro.

I was running into BSOD on fresh windows 10 installs, while having the computer plugged into the internet. As the update was being pushed on initial look for updates. This appeared to take place before the Group Policy's were pushed to the computer.

To get around the issue swapped to using a USB stick to install, rather than network boot. While disconnecting from the net while installing windows 10.

Its its nice to have news sites backing me up.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-kb4524244-issues-and-pulls-the-update/

Microsoft pulled the standalone KB4524244 security update today, February 15, 2020, from Windows Update after confirming user reports about freezes, boot problems, and installation issues since it was released on February 11.

KB4524244 was designed to address "an issue in which a third-party Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) boot manager might expose UEFI-enabled computers to a security vulnerability."

Redmond also says that KB4524244 can cause the 'Reset this PC' feature (aka 'Push Button Reset' or PBR) to fail on Windows 10 and Windows Server devices where it was installed.

"You might restart into recovery with 'Choose an option' at the top of the screen with various options or you might restart to your desktop and receive the error 'There was a problem resetting your PC'," Microsoft explains.

The KB4524244 issues affect both home and server installations,

Edited by Tannah
Requested by Moderator

It's pretty impossible for them to test their updates with every single hardware configuration.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that they don't have more issues than they do.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's pretty impossible for them to test their updates with every single hardware configuration.

Well considering in the past they had a pretty decent track record of testing updates. Id say they are just being lazy and cheap. Windows XP and 7 never really had too many issues with updates. Nothing like WIndows 10 does. I dont understand why people say Microsoft cant do proper testing when they did so in past versions of Windows and there were shit loads of hardware configs back then as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

46 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Definitely see your point.  MacOS has fewer bugs because Apple only has to test it for their own machines.  It's easier to beta-test prior to release.  Microsoft has to try to test for the entire fucking hardware market, which gets complicated in a hurry!

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

30 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Well considering in the past they had a pretty decent track record of testing updates. Id say they are just being lazy and cheap. Windows XP and 7 never really had too many issues with updates. Nothing like WIndows 10 does. I dont understand why people say Microsoft cant do proper testing when they did so in past versions of Windows and there were shit loads of hardware configs back then as well. 

No issues with XP/Win7 updates? It's just that you're no longer remembering it.

I''m sure MS does quite some inhouse testing previous to any release but with the myriads of combinations out there it simply fails every now and then, I am not surprised. They should just open up their OS and allow cutting-edge users to use the OS freely with reports before they release hardened updates to those who use it on a paid licence. 

31 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Maybe they wouldn't be so cheap if so many people weren't getting their Windows codes from Reddit or eBay...

3 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

Definitely see your point.  MacOS has fewer bugs because Apple only has to test it for their own machines.  It's easier to beta-test prior to release.  Microsoft has to try to test for the entire fucking hardware market, which gets complicated in a hurry!

Exactly.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

I''m sure MS does quite some inhouse testing previous to any release but with the myriads of combinations out there it simply fails every now and then, I am not surprised. They should just open up their OS and allow cutting-edge users to use the OS freely with reports before they release hardened updates to those who use it on a paid licence. 

No its a fact that when the new CEO took over that he pretty much laid off most of the Windows testing team. They are not doing testing like they once did. Also I am remember correctly. The only issues I ever had with a WIndows update was related to a service pack. Which is to be expected. Never had any issues under XP or Windows 7. Hell I dont remember having issues under Windows 98 as well. Not to the extent they have now. Every month there is an article about people have issues. Never seen that with any other verisons of Windows in the internet age. 

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Maybe they wouldn't be so cheap if so many people weren't getting their Windows codes from Reddit or eBay...

Well they can put a stop to that. They choose not to. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Mmmm not too sure about that. It'd require a massive investment of time and resources.

Not only that...saying that doesn't change the fact it's true, does it?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Mmmm not too sure about that. It'd require a massive investment of time and resources.

Not only that...saying that doesn't change the fact it's true, does it?

If game devs can region lock keys, so can Microsoft. Because many of the keys are from other regions. Secondly they can black list retailers and sites that dont follow their rules, so just make it so you have to buy it from them directly. 

The individual experience with XP/Win7 or even 98(SE, har har) may vary of course, but since I had to revive several systems after failed updates (and due to service-packs, at times it was just a compressed horror-show), I am glad I never had (nor will have) to face the windows-experience on my own systems.

6 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Yeah, shudders, I sure remember some.  Like the one update that BSOD around 100+ of our laptops because said update did not play nicely with a security software we used on the laptops.  Thankfully, I found the update and remove it through safe mode and manage to block it on our update server.  And, that with our environment doing internal testing before pushing it out (seems someone mess up not checking how the update would behave on our specific image).  Sometimes just the right combo of hardware, updates, and software can cause a hell of issues.  Just had update issue occur on our RHEL base clients.  Wackiest thing I ever saw, darn specific sound card and kernel with video encoder software would just make the clients just restart out of the blue (had to switch to different sound cards to resolve said issue). 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I have it and don't have issues though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 hours ago, Twilight said:

laughs in linux

Linux based OS updates also have issues. Not to mention getting updates can sometimes lead to a week-end project due to conflicts that needs to be dealt with.

13 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Also I am remember correctly. The only issues I ever had with a WIndows update was related to a service pack.

Nope, regular updates also had issues.

Which is to be expected. Never had any issues under XP or Windows 7.

I never had any issues under Windows 10. And I am on the Insider Fast Ring program too, which should make it worse. You cannot take one experience and apply to all.

I mean, the issues listed, do you have them? I don't think so. So great!

Not to the extent they have now. Every month there is an article about people have issues. Never seen that with any other verisons of Windows in the internet age. 

Of course there is an article on people have issues. Before, "no one" cared if you had an issue. Today, it gets clicks, so the media reports every little thing. I mean good! It help ensures that bugs don't slip out through cracks.

Incorrect:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/11/13/windows-10-quality-approach-for-a-complex-ecosystem/

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/19/driver-quality-in-the-windows-ecosystem/

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/04/04/improving-the-windows-10-update-experience-with-control-quality-and-transparency/

22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Linux based OS updates also have issues. Not to mention getting updates can sometimes lead to a week-end project due to conflicts that needs to be dealt with.

it was a joke

don't get me started lol. dare to update to a new lts kernel day 1 of release? nvidia drivers broken, wireless drivers broken depending on which one's you have, possibly virtualbox and other apps that use kernel modules broken.... 

She/Her

15 hours ago, dizmo said:

This might be worth a watch

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

3 minutes ago, maazster said:

^this^

Jerry has talked a lot about why the Windows development team has taken a turn for the worse in terms of QA for their recent years, and most of it seems to be tied to not having a physical test lab with REAL desktop and laptop configurations to test new versions on. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

, the issues listed, do you have them? I

No because I no longer use Windows. 1903 fucked my previous machine pretty bad. Moved to Linux. Really haven’t had to many issues. I will admit I’ve had some. But figured out how to correct them. 

Also my issues existed since Windows 10 was released. It never ran right for me, even after multiple reinstalls. My laptop was the same had issues. 

1 hour ago, maazster said:

I don't really care tbh ?‍♂️

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just block all their BS "preview" builds in Group Policy Editor. There's no need to be a lab rat for their sketchy, untested releases.

So many people complain about system, but they refuse to remember that system is hardware dependent. Last month I had some problem with BSOD and then with boot. I read bsod info but still cannot believe that my sound card may be a problem. But after one day I discovered that my sound card is not working. Well, I removed that card (it works for long time), clean connectors, plug again and now it works without any problem. Strange, but happens - even light bulb may stop working for more than one reason.

Why I wrote about it? Because sometimes (or even in most cases) problem is not with system. And people who trying to fix it with mouse and keyboard only (including constant reinstalling system) write on forums that Windows is bad. No, is not. Mostly it's just bad hardware itself or hardware config. After all most of users have working, up to date systems without any issues.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:59 AM, BecauseICanTBH said:

Just block all their BS "preview" builds in Group Policy Editor. There's no need to be a lab rat for their sketchy, untested releases.

Easy to say, but a bit harder to do, especially when they apply can apply online updates before group policys takes effect.

-> Moved to Tech News

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/18/2020 at 2:06 AM, maazster said:

Many of us don't like taking the words of an ex employee who makes his money from getting clicks on the internet seriously.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have not had any issues with windows 10 itself yet.

But I have never forced an update (no one should, there is logic behind how Microsoft rolls them out), and usually got updates later than many other people.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking