Please Remember Your Promise to Compromise on Clickbait & Descriptive Titles

A while ago Linus decided to reach a compromise with his audience, he'd still use the obnoxious thumbnails & titles because the current state of Youtube sadly favors that BUT he'd also include a - "what the video is actually about" identifier after the clickbait title so we can actually search for specific products/reviews/etc. While this solution isn't perfect, I was more than happy to have that compromise, and with Linus' promise I felt better about supporting the channel.

Commitment to that promise has been getting shakier over the past few months. Before it was just the odd 1 in 20 videos that didn't conform which is forgivable. But now, I fear that commitment is slipping even further:

Attached below is a simple screenshot of LTT's videos from today to about 3wk ago

1081506633_LTTwhy.thumb.png.2c32ed6d4b4791914ceba532a1b8f072.png

Decided to use my amazing photoshop skills to make 3 symbols to show "title-promise" conformity.

Green check = perfectly serviceable, would be able to search & find with almost no hassle.

Orange dash = essentially clickbait purgatory. These aren't egregious offenses and with some annoyance & difficulty you could probably find a specific video if you were looking for it. Clearly room for improvement.

Red X = marking the spot for unambiguous clickbait. The titles serve no purpose other than to trick people into clicking by dangling a "ooOOOooo, what's in here I wonder?? HMMM?" thread hoping that random people will pounce at it.

I'm not including Linus' little Beat Saber because that's just a one-off fun video or the WAN shows because those encompass several topics and making a title that accurately portrays an hour worth of dynamic content isn't possible.

While I personally wish all this clickbait bs & obnoxious expression + overly saturated colors thumbnail trend would go away entirely, and I think its underhanded to exempt TechLinked from the whole "clickbait - actual title" paradigm. But I understand that doing this stuff helps LTT thrive in Youtube's little ecosystem. And I like Linus, been a fan since 2012, so I'm happy to see him succeed.

Whole point of this post is to just say "please keep your promise." When I only see 8 out of 19 titles in a 3wk span of videos that follow what Linus promised he'd do, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Feels like I've been lied to, and I have little interest in watching someone who makes me feel like that.

Promises made, promises kept. /s

You're not the first person to bring this up and you won't be the last, but at this point it's fair to say that they won't change unless their analytics changed first; they'll only change when those titles/thumbnails hurt them.

A number of us don't like it, but I don't think we're their target audience. (They want to attract new viewers instead of just pleasing existing ones, it seems)

Based on his previous responses to these kind of posts, I think they work on the basis that the whole stupid faces, amateur photoshop vibe thumbnails <> clickbait 

And only the title of the video could be considered clickbait. 

The ones in that image, depending on your perspective, I wouldn't call clickbait.... 

Pathetic? Yes. Clickbait? No.

Unfortunately, over the past decade, YouTube has declined into a market of a pubescent majority, which most channels cater towards to get all them dollar bills yo

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

Eh, some of those you've deemed unworthy are fine without the second descriptor. They bought the kick proof TV, as everyone was calling it outside of LTT. The gaming web browser, was about... A gaming web browser... Everyone's going to have a different tolerance to click bait. I think LTT tread the fine line between feeding YouTubes algorithm and not being obnoxious quite well. 

If the alternative to these thumbnails is no LTT, then let 'em do it. 

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

4 minutes ago, IdlePX said:

Eh, some of those you've deemed unworthy are fine without the second descriptor. They bought the kick proof TV, as everyone was calling it outside of LTT. The gaming web browser, was about... A gaming web browser... Everyone's going to have a different tolerance to click bait. I think LTT tread the fine line between feeding YouTubes algorithm and not being obnoxious quite well. 

My complaint/worry is strictly about the titles. I mentioned a few times that I understand & accept that asking for an end to the obnoxious thumbnails is too much, I simply threw that in there because I felt like voicing my opinion on the topic overall. 

As I said, I'm 100% happy with the thumbnail + "clickbait - actual title" paradigm. I don't think its perfect, but I think its a great compromise. The problem is that over half of these titles aren't conforming to that.

4 minutes ago, IdlePX said:

Alternative is LTT getting a bit less revenue and slower growth of new subs imho.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

2 minutes ago, HeyImLucious said:

My complaint/worry is strictly about the titles.

OK, I do understand the "clickbait - actual title" paradigm you mean, but does the "Gaming browser" and "kick proof TV" actually need a second title? Both of them do what they say on the tin.

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

9 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Alternative is LTT getting a bit less revenue and slower growth of new subs imho.

It's possible that the naming scheme they promised stunted their growth, but I haven't seen them mention it, so that's only an assumption.

5 minutes ago, IdlePX said:

OK, I do understand the "clickbait - actual title" paradigm you mean, but does the "Gaming browser" and "kick proof TV" actually need a second title? Both of them do what they say on the tin.

They could've used "Gaming web browser - Opera ....." and "Kick proof TV - [product name] review"

2 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

Promises made, promises kept. /s

You're not the first person to bring this up and you won't be the last, but at this point it's fair to say that they won't change unless their analytics changed first; they'll only change when those titles/thumbnails hurt them.

A number of us don't like it, but I don't think we're their target audience. (They want to attract new viewers instead of just pleasing existing ones, it seems)

Whilst I do still watch some of their videos... I use ad blockers and I consider any sponsors unworthy of my money... I also refuse to buy any merch.

So when they change their methods, I'll reconsider stopping them from earning a single penny from my views.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

7 hours ago, HeyImLucious said:

1 in 20 videos

He is not making the same amount of money as before.

I'm not on floatplane, but does LTT on floatplane also use the same shitty thumbnails? I would legit rather pay LTT to not have to see that nonsense.

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

6 hours ago, vukos said:

I'm not on floatplane, but does LTT on floatplane also use the same shitty thumbnails? I would legit rather pay LTT to not have to see that nonsense.

Same titles and thumbnails for the most part.

11 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Same titles and thumbnails for the most part.

In other words they give 0 fucks...GG LTT...

For anyone wondering what the difference is between YT and FP, you can log in on FP without paying (sign in > more options > LTT forum), then you can browse through the channels that are there. Last I checked, the thumbnails show up too.

Of course you won't be able to watch any of the videos without payment, but the titles and thumbnails are visible. 

I'd be more concerned that 2 out of 3 of their videos are paid sponsor ads. 

You literally need to watch a pre roll ad, to watch what turns out to be Linus doing a paid sponsor video (ad) only to have him then DROP ANOTHER AD for the merch store. 

You watch ads so you can watch Linus do an ad while also doing another ad within the ad for merch. Oh and don't forget to pay Floatplane even more to get your ads within ads within ads in even higher quality!

The channel is clearly nothing resembling its former self, I guess this is why I rarely watch and choose to support other outlets that aren't a glorified infomercial machine.

/rant

At least the forum is cool.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

- snip -

There are no pre-roll & post roll ads on FP; the video starts with the Linus introducing the video, just like in YT, but it goes directly to the intro (skips the segue + ad read) and the video ends with him reading the credits (no ad read), so you're paying to see less ads.

When the whole video is sponsored by one company, Dyson for example, then they don't have other ad reads (pre-roll/post roll) on YT.

12 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

There are no pre-roll & post roll ads on FP; the video starts with the Linus introducing the video, just like in YT, but it goes directly to the intro (skips the segue + ad read) and the video ends with him reading the credits (no ad read), so you're paying to see less ads.

When the whole video is sponsored by one company, Dyson for example, then they don't have other ad reads (pre-roll/post roll) on YT.

I was primarily talking about YouTube. If he does a sponsored video you get pre roll ads before the video starts, then you get the actual paid ad itself (the video) and finally you get ads within said ad that was preceded by YouTube ads for the merch store.

It's a joke and no amount of counter points will convince me otherwise.

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

Alright then.

If it doesn't deliver according to the vid's title then the term "Clickbait" is fair enough.

An example of one the OP tagged as such but in reality is not would be about the Kick proof television.

It is true the vid started out as looking into the claim(s) the TV was indeed kick proof, nothing wrong with that.

They set it up, kicked it and it survived just fine so there isn't anything in the vid that proves it isn't kick proof, equaling the vid delivered as it's title "advertised".

That's my take on it but do understand that was but one example, there are others that can go the other way too in proving they are indeed clickbait.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:07 AM, Anomnomnomaly said:

Whilst I do still watch some of their videos... I use ad blockers and I consider any sponsors unworthy of my money... I also refuse to buy any merch.

So when they change their methods, I'll reconsider stopping them from earning a single penny from my views.

If they change their methods to get your money they will lose alot more money. 

Seems like you are trying to justify your actions with bs claims.

Nobody is forcing you to watch the videos at all. But dont act like your taking the high road by blocking ads so they dont get money from your view.

Either the video is worth your view or it isnt. The thumbnail/title should have nothing to do with it being a good video.

6 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

I was primarily talking about YouTube. If he does a sponsored video you get pre roll ads before the video starts, then you get the actual paid ad itself (the video) and finally you get ads within said ad that was preceded by YouTube ads for the merch store.

Its how they make money.

Are you unaware on how business works? 

In order to make videos they need workers. In order to have workers they need to pay them. In order to pay them they need to make money. In order to make money they need ads.

The only way to make money off youtube is through ads.

Theres a very easy alternative to avoid ads for dirt cheap. Its called floatplane.

So they are giving you two different options (one free and one paid) to view the content how you like.

Honestly I wish more platforms like YouTube would show up to compete. I miss having multiple sites for videos and for the kinds of content I wanted to watch. It alow allowed for communities to come together. As much as it would kill most Channels I really wish YouTube would just go away...The platform is now just mass clickbait videos with 0 context as to WTF is going on with needless wanna get rich content creators spamming ads or not clarifying sponsored content. I barely watch it anymore and actually find myself going outside and being with people more since Video streaming sites have gone so far downhill. This is just an IMO some might like how controlled content is these days and that the "Quality" has gone up but I miss old Youtube where it was everyone making videos for fun and lots of strange stuff or amateur video creators starting out, 

6 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

Honestly I wish more platforms like YouTube would show up to compete. I miss having multiple sites for videos and for the kinds of content I wanted to watch. It alow allowed for communities to come together. As much as it would kill most Channels I really wish YouTube would just go away...The platform is now just mass clickbait videos with 0 context as to WTF is going on with needless wanna get rich content creators spamming ads or not clarifying sponsored content. I barely watch it anymore and actually find myself going outside and being with people more since Video streaming sites have gone so far downhill. This is just an IMO some might like how controlled content is these days and that the "Quality" has gone up but I miss old Youtube where it was everyone making videos for fun and lots of strange stuff or amateur video creators starting out, 

Most of that is still there you just have to look harder.

But if your wanting it all to be like that itll never happen. Even ifcompetitors popped up once they became viable they would turn out the same.

4 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Its how they make money.

Are you unaware on how business works? 

In order to make videos they need workers. In order to have workers they need to pay them. In order to pay them they need to make money. In order to make money they need ads.

The only way to make money off youtube is through ads.

Theres a very easy alternative to avoid ads for dirt cheap. Its called floatplane.

So they are giving you two different options (one free and one paid) to view the content how you like.

I'm absolutely not criticizing them for making money. I'm criticizing HOW they make money. There are plenty of similarly sized tech channels that don't feature primarily paid sponsorships and merch stores in every video.

I'm annoyed of it, for a while it was good, and its useless to find a video on a specific topic on mobile but if I'm searching i'm on a desktop.

Please just put back on what the product is at the end. @LinusTech its one of the few things I miss from 2013 vids.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs