Graphics card just set on fire...

kingteeb

Guys... What do I do?!

Long time viewer, first time community member.

My graphics card just set on fire. Its an old HIS 7950 iceQ, gets used fairly regularly on and off, but I've been away for work for 4 months. Got back the other day and playing some games for a few hours with 0 issues. Turned it on today and started playing, within about 30 mins it started boot looping. Thought I could smell a slight burnt plastic smell. Opened it up and tried turning it on again...

this is what happened::

https://youtu.be/ToXuJhc0_Ag

Absolutely terrifying! So glad I caught it before leaving the room. Could have burnt my flat down! It was just continuously boot looping and setting on fire!

Where do I go from here? Clearly I need to get rid of the graphics card. The rest of the system seems to boot from onboard graphics, but how can I tell if its safe/not damage in anyway?

It kinda depends. You'd think hardware creators would have fail-safes for such issues (not just the Gpu). If possible test each piece separately. Things like Cpu and storage should be fine. The real question is if it was the Mobo that was the issue (I think not), or if it had subsequent damage from the blaze. 

My thoughts.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

first of all your RAM is Install Incorrect (sry that boders me XD)

hart to say what cause that short circut, propeply a condensator died or material build up

• Examine the wire. It may have worn through over time due to vibration and then had a path to/from the card.
  • Post photo of the card on that side. People may be able to help determine if a component spontaneously blew (taking it and surrounding components) or if something touched a worn wire.

You'll have to test the rest.

Depends on where the current flowed, if it was too much for too long.

I personally wouldn’t take a chance with that card after that. I’d replace the card and you should definitely check for damage to the motherboard. That’s quite the issue with your card!

I don't think it has anything to do with the PSU cables. cant see any damage on them at all. The system seems to boot okay without the card in.

10 minutes ago, Quadrum said:

I personally wouldn’t take a chance with that card after that. I’d replace the card and you should definitely check for damage to the motherboard. That’s quite the issue with your card!

Yeah, I totally agree. Does not at all seem worth the risk to use this card again. Even if it could in theory be fixed. Totally shocked it actually set on fire!

4 hours ago, kingteeb said:

Totally shocked it actually set on fire!

Well that was spectacular. There is small chance that card could be fixed (I’ve seen it before) but like mentioned before I wouldn’t risk it. As of the cause of fire it may be even some dust collected over the time causing short. 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

You can take the card out, take it apart, and inspect the parts directly to see what may have occurred, and if any damage occurred to the motherboard. That's what I would personally do.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 hours ago, kingteeb said:

Guys... What do I do?!

Long time viewer, first time community member.

My graphics card just set on fire. Its an old HIS 7950 iceQ, gets used fairly regularly on and off, but I've been away for work for 4 months. Got back the other day and playing some games for a few hours with 0 issues. Turned it on today and started playing, within about 30 mins it started boot looping. Thought I could smell a slight burnt plastic smell. Opened it up and tried turning it on again...

this is what happened::

https://youtu.be/ToXuJhc0_Ag

Absolutely terrifying! So glad I caught it before leaving the room. Could have burnt my flat down! It was just continuously boot looping and setting on fire!

Where do I go from here? Clearly I need to get rid of the graphics card. The rest of the system seems to boot from onboard graphics, but how can I tell if its safe/not damage in anyway?

Do not try doing anything with that card again. It's like asking to get yourself burned (in all possible meanings). If it was me, I'd get a new card from Amazon and if nothing goes wrong it means the motherboard is safe. If it goes wrong, return the card, switch motherboard and gpu.

PS.: memory ram is installed wrong. You should have 1 slot ram, 1 slot free, 1 slot ram, 1 slot free, or it won't run in dual channel.

7 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Do not try doing anything with that card again. It's like asking to get yourself burned (in all possible meanings). If it was me, I'd get a new card from Amazon and if nothing goes wrong it means the motherboard is safe. If it goes wrong, return the card, switch motherboard and gpu.

PS.: memory ram is installed wrong. You should have 1 slot ram, 1 slot free, 1 slot ram, 1 slot free, or it won't run in dual channel.

Can't really afford to replace the GPU at the moment. Will start saving. Could use one from my flatmates desktop and see if the system runs smoothly. Think theres any chance of that getting damaged? Really don't think it had anything to do with the PSU, but i guess you never iknow?

Also, thanks for the tip. Have reinstalled the ram :)

This is a failed capacitor on the supply rail, it has likely been failing for a while and has shorted internally. It will be a small surface mount ceramic cap, I had this happen and just removed the offending component. Worked fine until the adjacent one failed too. Still using that card in a test machine several years on.

The rest of the system will likely be fine :)

2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

This is a failed capacitor on the supply rail, it has likely been failing for a while and has shorted internally. It will be a small surface mount ceramic cap, I had this happen and just removed the offending component. Worked fine until the adjacent one failed too. Still using that card in a test machine several years on.

The rest of the system will likely be fine :)

This comfirm what you thought? Just got some time to take the cooler off and midplate (I think thats what its called?) Thought people would be interested. Check out the damage!

IMG_20200215_133100.jpg

IMG_20200215_132729.jpg