Zotac GTX 1070 Overclocking (Safe Levels)

Sephiroth720

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had any overclocking experience with the Zotac GTX 1070 AMP Core Edition GPU ? I seem to have the only GPU on the market these days that doesn't come with some form of "1-click OC" in the software. I have no OC'ing experience (CPU or GPU) and would like to know how far I can push this thing (safely) until my RTX 2060 arrives ? 

Would like to get a few more fps in NFS: Heat to stable it out on my 75 Hz monitor (Currently running around 68 - 70ish) 

Cheers, 

Gage

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm AIO | Gigabyte Aorus M B450 Motherboard | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000mhz  | Samsung 860 Pro 2TB | MSi Geforce RTX 2060 Super Gaming X 8GB | BeQuiet PurePower 11 700W |

2 hours ago, Sephiroth720 said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had any overclocking experience with the Zotac GTX 1070 AMP Core Edition GPU ? I seem to have the only GPU on the market these days that doesn't come with some form of "1-click OC" in the software. I have no OC'ing experience (CPU or GPU) and would like to know how far I can push this thing (safely) until my RTX 2060 arrives ? 

Would like to get a few more fps in NFS: Heat to stable it out on my 75 Hz monitor (Currently running around 68 - 70ish) 

Cheers, 

Gage

Every gpu will oc different, so no one can give you exact numbers. I can tell you roughly how to oc and you can try yourself.

Increase clock speed in small steps, usually I’m trying going up by 15-25mhz, after that stress test the card, use something like Heaven benchmark, if its stable increase clock speed more. If you get crash in benchmarking tool that means it’s the limit, reboot, drop down the clock speed slightly, or to the last stable number and you good. Same with the memory speed, but instead going 15-25mhz increasing by 50mhz will do the trick, stress test using heaven and determine where is the stable oc, you may get artefacts instead of crash. Small reminder before you start this set the power limit slider and temp limit all the way up to the right side. 
As for the fan curve you have to play with it as well, not sure how much noise you are willing to accept or how hot the card you want to run. If the temps stays under 75-80c you good. Also it may be good idea to change thermal paste on the card if you never done it before, it may be old now and usually manufacturers down put top tier thermal paste on the cards, so if you choose some good quality thermal paste it may drop down temps as well 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

On 2/14/2020 at 6:20 PM, Sephiroth720 said:

I seem to have the only GPU on the market these days that doesn't come with some form of "1-click OC" in the software. I have no OC'ing experience (CPU or GPU) and would like to know how far I can push this thing (safely) until my RTX 2060 arrives ? 

MSI AfterBurner has a one-click tool called "OC Scanner". Check it out : https://www.msi.com/blog/get-a-free-performance-boost-with-afterburner-oc-scanner

After this, I'd suggest you set the fan speed as high as you need to keep the temperatures below 75-80c. I set the fan speed at 80% on my O/C 1060 Mini, and it keeps temperatures under control.

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

MSI AFTERBURNER (Internal) OC SCANNER

Applies to ALL Current and Previous 10 series GPUs.

To give you a visual example.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz