Buyers remorse of Ryzen Threadripper 3790x vs 3990x

Hey all,

Sort of wanted to discuss a first world problem with my latest issue. I went ahead with buying the Ryzen Threadripper 3790x  b/c I saw the base clock being much better than the Ryzen Threadripper 3990x . But then  I see all these videos that the overclock is really not much different and the fact that the video that Linus did sort of turned me off the 2990x. But I started second guessing myself, should I have gone with the later or not?

Anyway, sort of interested what people here think about this?

Cheers

Depends what it was built for?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Seriously though, I don't really do much that would warrant this kind of power, but I just can't forgive myself for leaving something on the table. I am gravitating towards the 3990x , "just because" reasoning. And yes, it just my home PC

2 hours ago, JapanDave said:

Hey all,

Sort of wanted to discuss a first world problem with my latest issue. I went ahead with buying the Ryzen Threadripper 3790x  b/c I saw the base clock being much better than the Ryzen Threadripper 3990x . But then  I see all these videos that the overclock is really not much different and the fact that the video that Linus did sort of turned me off the 2990x. But I started second guessing myself, should I have gone with the later or not?

Anyway, sort of interested what people here think about this?

Cheers

Do you have the spare money to do the upgrade? If so, why the heck didn't you do it yet?

Edited by wkdpaul

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, igormp said:

Do you have the spare money to do the upgrade? If so, why the heck didn't you do it yet?

Yeah, I do. Which is why I am thinking I should go with the new CPU.

Edited by wkdpaul

1 minute ago, JapanDave said:

Yeah, I do. Which is why I am thinking I should go with the new CPU.

Then do so, no reason to keep feeling bad for not having it if you can actually afford it.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I think even the 3950X would be overkill for you and that has a quarter of the cores and threads you're debating about getting. Are you sure you don't need the money for anything else, like a new car?

Also, just going to leave this here:

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-threadripper-3990x-128-thread-monster-is-too-much-for-windows-10-pro-to-handle

1 hour ago, JapanDave said:

b/c I saw the base clock

Base clock is the minimum clockspeed all cores can run at in a workload. 

More cores means lower base clock. The 24 core might have higher base clock. But the 32 core has the same clock for 24 cores. 

Just fyi

I would go with the 32 threads because that CPU has the highest boost clock by about 300MHz.  I do get what you're saying though.  You should just get next years 64 thread CPU which will likely be better in the speed department.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

13 minutes ago, nick name said:

I would go with the 32 threads because that CPU has the highest boost clock by about 300MHz.  I do get what you're saying though.  You should just get next years 64 thread CPU which will likely be better in the speed department.  

Now this is an answer I was looking for.

* thread cleaned *

If you're not interested in helping, then don't reply.

Also, trolling isn't allowed.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, JapanDave said:

Now this is an answer I was looking for.

You also have the issue of Windows only being capable of natively handing out 64 threads to most applications, so it splits the 3990X into two separate processor groups. This means most programs will either see no improvement or even regression. This will probably be fixed by program developers and/or Microsoft, but who knows when. 

9 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

You also have the issue of Windows only being capable of natively handing out 64 threads to most applications, so it splits the 3990X into two separate processor groups. This means most programs will either see no improvement or even regression. This will probably be fixed by program developers and/or Microsoft, but who knows when. 

That is good to know. Looks like I will stick with this CPU until things change.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

36 minutes ago, JapanDave said:

That is good to know. Looks like I will stick with this CPU until things change.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

0G1A0197-Edit.thumb.jpg.ed45ec00170dbad9e7f65bdee87d7c13.jpg

No prob. Currently doing a 3970X build, so anything you want to know, feel free to ask.

7 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

No prob. Currently doing a 3970X build, so anything you want to know, feel free to ask.

That is almost identical to mine. I am using the Velocity RGB block and 128gb of G-Skill (Could not find 32gb sticks, only 16gb) Also, I went with 2 EVGA ultra copper hydro RTX 2080 ti ultra cards. What are those?

Here is an unfinished pic, still waiting on the second GPU to arrive. Also this was with the MOBO I wrecked before I decided to go all out with the ThreadRipper. Also added another distro plate which is not in this pic

2020-01-28 22.24.12.jpg

13 minutes ago, JapanDave said:

That is almost identical to mine. I am using the Velocity RGB block and 128gb of G-Skill (Could not find 32gb sticks, only 16gb) Also, I went with 2 EVGA ultra copper hydro RTX 2080 ti ultra cards. What are those?

Here is an unfinished pic, still waiting on the second GPU to arrive. Also this was with the MOBO I wrecked before I decided to go all out with the ThreadRipper. Also added another distro plate which is not in this pic

Whew, that build is a beast.  G.Skill actually just announced their 256GB 3600 CL16 kit.

I have 2x FTW3 Ultra 2080 Tis. I didn't do Hydrocopper blocks as I heard their performance was meh, but I already had the cards. Might have gone w/ the hydros just because they were easier. I HATE the branding on them though, so I was happy with the Vector blocks.

1 hour ago, Windows95 said:

how did you become rich?

There are many meaningless platitudes that answer your question.   However, "rich" as in able to easily afford this kind of setup is generally the result of time, effort and drive (plus smart career choices lol)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Whew, that build is a beast.  G.Skill actually just announced their 256GB 3600 CL16 kit.

I have 2x FTW3 Ultra 2080 Tis. I didn't do Hydrocopper blocks as I heard their performance was meh, but I already had the cards. Might have gone w/ the hydros just because they were easier. I HATE the branding on them though, so I was happy with the Vector blocks.

Nice!! This was my first time cooling the GPU so I went with pre-assembled. I wanted this card, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti SEA HAWK EK X. But , I could not get it as everyone was out of stock and did not know when they would have one, so I had no choice but go with FTW3 Hydro copper. I also do not like the branding. 

2 hours ago, Windows95 said:

how did you become rich?

I own a mid-size business with just over 1000 employees. But, as the poster above stated, with lots of time, hard work and a lot of luck.

7 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

What is that case? It looks really big from the pics? Are you doing hard tubing?

3 hours ago, JapanDave said:

What is that case? It looks really big from the pics? Are you doing hard tubing?

0G1A0205-Edit.thumb.jpg.1e564e4a7def0fd90f38e8d10534d41d.jpg

It's the Enthoo 719.

Doing ZMT matte black tubing.

12 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

That looks pretty awesome.  Are those cables the cause of that GPU sag?  It looks like the PCB is actually bending.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

12 hours ago, JapanDave said:

2020-01-28 22.24.12.jpg

That unicorn blood you're using as your loop fluid really makes all the RGB pop.  

17 minutes ago, nick name said:

That looks pretty awesome.  Are those cables the cause of that GPU sag?  It looks like the PCB is actually bending.  

In a way, but mainly it's because nothing is secured in any kind of way. That was just a mock up for measuring tube runs.

31 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

In a way, but mainly it's because nothing is secured in any kind of way. That was just a mock up for measuring tube runs.

Ahhh, I see.  I'm a huge fan of the flat black soft tubing.  I'm really looking forward to seeing your final results.