Any feedback on G-Sync for the LG 27UK/27UL monitors?

angristan

I have the 27UL600, but since the {UK,UL}{600,650,800} have the same panel, I assume it's the same story for all of them.

They are FreeSync compatible, but no listed as G-Sync compatible here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

According to this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ej9mOe5NamLldpfyFfXrqvLMZP-aG2Zi1su7QzPRNJY/edit#gid=0, the 27UK650 works but:

Doesn't work OOTB, needs manual tweaking. OOTB, tearing was as bad if not worse than with no sync enabled

Use CRU application to change your FreeSync Range to 34-60 Hz. The default setting doesn't work. Run the Restart application to apply changes. This will fix. I have tested with Call of Duty WWII running in 4k HDR enabled. Cap your FPS to 58 FPS using RTSS (RivaTuner Statistics Server) which is part of MSI Afterburner. I am getting no tearing with GSYNC ON and VSYNC ON in NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL. Make sure to turn OFF VSYNC in game settings and also don't set in game FPS caps if using RTSS for capping at 58 FPS!

Also according to a review on this sub (https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/aqk02g/lg_27ul650_review_comparison_to_uk_series/?

Like the UK series, the UL series has freesync and is gsync compatible. Gsync activated fine on using my RTX 2080, with the monitor set to Freesync "Extended" mode. Keep in mind that the VRR range of this monitor is pretty narrow at 40-60 hz. Also, you will need to turn vsync on in Nvidia Control panel to avoid tearing when the framerate reaches 60fps. With gsync and vsync on, gsync will work properly, so you can enjoy tear free gameplay with minimal input lag between 40-60fps.

So they seem to have some kind of unofficial support, but it doesn't sound great.

I was wondering if anyone had some more feedback on this? I currently planning a new build and I'm stuck with the AMD RX 5700 XT if I want to have Freesync. I would like to get more perf but that would mean going Nvidia with the 2080. But i'd prefer to stick with the 5700 XT if it's to get tearing with an expensive 2080...

They should all work. I had the 27UL500 and it worked.

If they're listed under g-sync compatible, it's because NVIDIA tested that specific monitor. They can't test every single monitor, so when it isn't on that list, it doesn't necessarily mean they wont work.

It's still officially supported, they just wont promish anything.

Thanks for letting me know.

I am not very experienced when it comes to this, so when you say "it worked" do you mean it worked OK, as well as an AMD GPU, or that it barely worked?

22 minutes ago, angristan said:

Thanks for letting me know.

I am not very experienced when it comes to this, so when you say "it worked" do you mean it worked OK, as well as an AMD GPU, or that it barely worked?

I used it with a 2080, and that worked as intended as far as I could tell.

AFAIK, IF the monitor works. I believe the range that it works with, should be the same on both AMD and Nvidia. And generally on Freesync the range is going to be smaller than a proper gsync monitor. Like your last quote mentions, all LG monitors you list. They should all work within 40-60hz, which isn't alot. But that range is going to be the same on both AMD and Nvidia.