HELP!! CPU and GPU pinned 95%+ when playing COD:MW

JWY23

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can help me out! I made my PC within my budget and I thought what I made was quite good. I have a Intel i5-8500 CPU and Nvidia GTX 1070 GPU. 

I have a ASUS Prime B360-plus motherboard with 16gb of RAM. I have a Seasonic Focus+Gold 550W PSU and I am running 3 140mm coolings and 1 120mm on my cpu cooler.

I first noticed my issue when playing COD, my friends in Discord couldn't hear what I was saying, BUT if I tabbed out of COD they could hear me fine. It was as if my

CPU couldn't cope with running COD and Discord at the time (so I thought). I started to monitor my CPU and GPU output using MSI afterburner and I was very suprised to

see both pegged above 95% whilst playing the game. I thought that my build would be able to happily play COD on reasonable settings.

When playing COD I get around 100fps, and the game doesn't necessarily run bad (unless it's in the menus which are bad apparently). I have a BenQ 17LCD 144hz display.

I have tried cleaning my PC with various file cleaners, but I am stumped as to what is wrong with my CPU and GPU output being so high. I'm not very clued up into code and 

the basics of softare/hardware, so go easy on me!

Can anyone suggest anything to get my outputs lower without upgrading ? 

Thank you guys!

Josh

I'm trying to determine if the discord thing is even related at all to your CPU issue. What settings are you playing on? (reasonable isn't that helpful)

First off, I don't think your discord issue would be related to under performing hardware in any way. I have never heard of anything like that. It is almost definitely some kind of a software issue, though I have no clue what it could be. It must be some issue with a setting in discord, windows or COD. 

As far as your usage numbers, having a GPU pinned at near 100% while playing a game I am fairly sure is pretty normal. As far as I know a GPU will simply process frames for the game you are playing as fast as it can (i.e. it will use 100% of it's capability all of the time). Unless of course you are using some kind of program to limit the output of your GPU to lower noise/thermals/power draw.

The more concerning issue is your CPU usage, which generally is not utilized so much when playing a game. The only time you would expect it to be used near 100% when gaming is if it is bottlenecking the rest of your system. And given your CPU is well above the recommended for COD I think it is safe to say that is not the case. My next best guess would be it is some other program eating up your CPU in the background. I am not sure what you are using to see the usage on GPU and CPU, but at least in task manager you can sort programs by CPU usage while you are playing COD. So you should be able to easily identify any programs that are using up a significant amount of CPU.

So I currently running these settings within the "Graphics Menu"

• Resolution = 1920x1080
  • Refresh RAte = 144hz
  • Auto Aspect Ratio
  • V-Sync = Disabled
  • Frame rate = I have set a custom frame rate 144
  • Nvidia Highlight = Disabled
  • Texture Resolution = Normal
  • texture Filter Anisotropic = Normal
  • Particle Quality = Low
  • Tessellation = Disabled
  • Shadows = Normal
  • DirextX Raytracing = Disabled
  • Anti-Aliasing = Filmic SMAA T2X

These Settings use 2302mgb/8088mgb of VRAM

If you use Task manager or resource monitor what is using the CPU/GPU during your gameplay? It could by the game needs to be reinstalled as something could be corrupted and is using more cpu/gpu than it should. Depending on your Display settings you could be using alot of CPU/GPU usage and that the pc is having a hard time keeping up. example if your running 4k max graphics. At elast that would be the GPU usage. CPU on the other hand might be hard to diagnose. Only thing I could think of is something not communicating correctly and might need to be reinstalled. causing the CPU to try and figure out ways around it continuously. Use resource manager in windows to see what is using up CPU cycles. Maybe the Anticheat system??? I do not know much about COD other than its a FPS but dont they usually have some stupid anticheat software running in the background taking up CPU usage if it is being pinned that system could be stuck on something? Just a guess. 

Do any other games act this way or is it only COD MW? Can you run COD Black Ops 4 on the same settings with same fps without the same issue? 

first I would make sure its actually COD software causing the issue or something running while your playing cod. Using task manager or resource manager. Once you know what EXE is using your CPU then its easier to pin down a fix. 

Just now, JWY23 said:

So I currently running these settings within the "Graphics Menu"

• Resolution = 1920x1080
  • Refresh RAte = 144hz
  • Auto Aspect Ratio
  • V-Sync = Disabled
  • Frame rate = I have set a custom frame rate 144
  • Nvidia Highlight = Disabled
  • Texture Resolution = Normal
  • texture Filter Anisotropic = Normal
  • Particle Quality = Low
  • Tessellation = Disabled
  • Shadows = Normal
  • DirextX Raytracing = Disabled
  • Anti-Aliasing = Filmic SMAA T2X

These Settings use 2302mgb/8088mgb of VRAM

Do you use Nvidia gforce expirience to decide your settings or do you play around with them yourself? Make sure you have the newest Nvidia and intel drivers.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/129939/Intel-Core-i5-8500-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-10-GHz-

1 minute ago, GodSeph said:

Do you use Nvidia gforce expirience to decide your settings or do you play around with them yourself? Make sure you have the newest Nvidia and intel drivers.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/129939/Intel-Core-i5-8500-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-10-GHz-

Yes I use the recommended settings from Nvidia, and as far as drivers go, I always update my GPU driver via Nvidia experience, and I use IOBit Driver Booster 7 for general programme drivers

Just now, JWY23 said:

Yes I use the recommended settings from Nvidia, and as far as drivers go, I always update my GPU driver via Nvidia experience, and I use IOBit Driver Booster 7 for general programme drivers

I recommend not using "Driver updater" software. most drivers would be from your motherboards website and Intel ones can be a pain going to their site for the newest ones (AMD with their software makes this easier). Others might have better experiences but my opinion I wouldnt use software that installs drivers for me. 

motherboard driver site: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-B360-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

28 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

dont use nvidia gforce thing to install drivers, use ddu and install from site directly

No. DDU is a troubleshooting measure, something you do if your drivers are screwed and you need a 100% clean install or are going back to older drivers. Not a standard procedure. Geforce Experience is fine for normal updates, and is the easiest way to get said updates if you're fine with needing an account for it. Also packages shadowplay which is excellent. 

3 minutes ago, AlexOak said:

^^^ Heard COD:MW is an absolute monster resource wise, a 6c/6t CPU choking isn't that surprising. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

40 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

No. DDU is a troubleshooting measure, something you do if your drivers are screwed and you need a 100% clean install or are going back to older drivers. Not a standard procedure. Geforce Experience is fine for normal updates, and is the easiest way to get said updates if you're fine with needing an account for it. Also packages shadowplay which is excellent. 

^^^ Heard COD:MW is an absolute monster resource wise, a 6c/6t CPU choking isn't that surprising. 

never fucking said anything bout shadowplay. geforce experience fucks me over more than it helps, and it changes in game settings to random ass shit because nvidia thinks a 1060 can run a game 1440p max settings 60 fps smh. just get it from the official site it's easier

1 hour ago, redbread123 said:

never fucking said anything bout shadowplay.

I know. I added that as another reason GFE is not bad if you don't mind needing an account. As more context for the OP. 

1 hour ago, redbread123 said:

geforce experience fucks me over more than it helps, and it changes in game settings to random ass shit because nvidia thinks a 1060 can run a game 1440p max settings 60 fps smh. just get it from the official site it's easier

So you allowed it to change game settings and now complain? Upon first install it legit asks if you want it to automatically "optimize" games you install, you can just click no and then it leaves them alone. Don't blame the software for your user error. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch