Best router for 10G internet?

Telebubbies
6 hours ago, Falconevo said:

Build a custom TNSR installation, its free now for home/non-commercial use.  This is what the pfSense guys have been working on along side the pfSense project but uses a different way of handling traffic using VPP (Vector Packet Processing) and DPDK (Data Plane Development Kit) to minimise CPU cycles.  These are developments on Linux to substantially improve per core packet processing capability.  From around 1Gbit/s per core to around 10Gbit/s per core.

https://www.tnsr.com/

https://www.tnsr.com/tnsr-vs-pfsense-software

Can do 10G with ease, I would probably use Intel 10G, Mellanox Connect-X or SolarFlare cards in the installation.  Can pick them up pretty cheap, I'm using a SolarFlare SFN5121 in my colo/test chassis running TNSR.

Has no GUI, but does have a REST API and console access, can get it setup for normal internet usage pretty easily and may teach you something new.

That’s some saving on core requirements there! 

So in theory, nothing stopping me running this in a VM within unraid? Just allocate a solaflare to the VM exclusively, 1 x input for WAN the other connected to a switch? 

2 hours ago, ne10g said:

That’s some saving on core requirements there! 

So in theory, nothing stopping me running this in a VM within unraid? Just allocate a solaflare to the VM exclusively, 1 x input for WAN the other connected to a switch? 

Yea it can be virtualised but you are not going to get 10Gbit throughput from a virtualised network interface.  You will have to use PCIe pass-through for the network interface(s) to reach that and place the interface in the dataplane

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

When talking PFsense routers....  A Core i7 4790 is pretty fast and current.

Also... As Im sure you are aware its not always, Gigabits/Second...  But Packets Per Second, the packet payload will dictate throughput.  Hence IMIX comparisons.  IF all you are doing is pushing jumbos, sure, that will be 1/4 the PPS of std 1500byte packets.  If however you are doing a lot of real time applications with small packet sizes.... THings get interesting.