Everyone recommends AMD GPU's, but in RL they are actually broken

Combat_Killer

Time stamped @ 15:15 Still Something Wrong At Radeon - Which from this redit user, was exactly what i was experiencing, word for word.

There isnt much i can say as in the video from that redit user, was exactly what i had done.

I ordered and installed an AMD RX 5700 in OCT 2019, got refunded and RMA'd in Jan 2020, then bought a NVidia RTX 2070 Super 0% problems after 2 weeks of playing every game i had to test things out, other then the initial install of it. But i think that was merely due to me on the way i install software on a fresh OS install.

I contacted AMD on countless support tickets, only to be fobbed off with, just install the latest driver crap responses!

Im not a hater on AMD, as i have a 2700 cpu and was hoping to finish up my build with an AMD GPU, but unfortunately i was forced by AMD incompetence for caring of their customers i had to go back to NVidia. Everytime i have had to contact NVidia through their support channels, i got to speak and interact with at least a human and they actually took the time to make sure i was a always good to go! Gotta give props to NVidia for their customer support, i have had nothing but great experiences with their cust. support.

But like this guy said in his video towards the end, we need more people that are youtube reviewers to start putting more pressure on AMD to fix their crappy GPU drivers and buggy software, as i can not myself recommend any 5000 series AMD GPU to anyone, after experiencing what i went through.

Even Steve @ Gamers nexus stated in one of his videos that AMD, were preferring to make there UI look better, rather then adhering to actual driver and hardware issues.
Asking AMD When Its GPU Drivers Will Be Fixed, + RX 5600 XT's Existence

Dont know if AMD understands the gaming industry at all, but as a gamer i prefer stuff to just work, probably every other gamer in existence too, then worry about cosmetics later.

Nothing but problems, neglect from AMD.

Not hatin, just sayin. AMD needs to get their act together, period!

Great hardware and potential, just crappy execution mixed in with little lies, imo.

Cheers,

Nothing new unfortunately.  3k upvotes and almost 1500 comments, mostly supporting the move, and was only posted yesterday.  There's a reason why AMD Radeon drivers is a meme.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Not really a surprise IMHO, AMD has been lagging behind horribly in the GPU department since for nearly a decade.  As someone who has owned Hawaii, fiji, polaris and vega cards aplenty, there is never a true high end competitor to be had.  Sometimes good value, but just as often not.  AM4 and ryzen literally pulled amd out of imminent bankruptcy but that won't magically make the GPU division God-tier.  As money goes into GPU projects and the new technologies mature/go into production over the next few years we may see a very interesting wave of tech similar to the way Zen completely reinvigorated the CPU side of things.

Making GPU's is a 5-7 year project though, so we shall have to wait 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I just want to ask & mention a few things. 

I had an R9 390 (Hawaii) and the drivers itself ran beautifully.

Radeon Catalyst/Adrenaline could get buggy sometimes. ReLive has had issues (as it's overlay-based I also expect this) but the actual driver pushing the metal I haven't had an issue with since Wrath of the Lich King came out for WoW. 

Same goes for Nvidia. GeForce experience & ShadowPlay have had issues, but I haven't seen a driver lockup in close to a decade. 

Now I'll admit the 390 was my latest AMD card. I ran a 285 (I think), 270, HD 69??, HD 6850, 7870 and 75?0 before that. Along with some Alienware laptop that actually had Crossfire (bought this machine specifically for WotLK). The laptop & the desktop PC after it were the last times I can ever remember having a driver crash. 

Couple of recent Call of Duty games have come close, but that's shitty programming, poor optimization & money-grabbing as it happened on both platforms. 

My house is currently running GTX 750 Ti, 2x 970, 1050 Ti & RTX 2060 on various CPU platforms, with my nephew using that R9 390 & nobody has any issues. I also use an old GTS 250 & HD 6450 for troubleshooting. 

So my point, is everyone actually having driver issues or is it the overlaying software that contains those drivers that you're having problems with? And is it only Vega & Navi, or are you having issues with Polaris & older stuff too?

Because granted my sample size is low, but the drivers themselves from both companies been working flawlessly for years upon years. I haven't seen any of this "AMD drivers are always shit" from firsthand experience. And statistically I should have from the way everyone talks about it. 

The only driver issues I am having is with their enhanced stuff (enhanced freesync, anti lag, screen capture from hdr). But I don't use them anyways. Everything runs like butter here. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

I can't hate on the guys keeping nVidia's prices in check :P

My RX 580 has never given me a single issue, nor did the load of R9 lineup GPUs I've used in the past.

I can't speak to the Navi generation, and clearly the Vega pieces had their TDP and heat issues...

But really if the 5700XT keeps 2070S prices down. I'll thank them for that.

46 minutes ago, Kc7vwc said:

So my point, is everyone actually having driver issues or is it the overlaying software that contains those drivers that you're having problems with? And is it only Vega & Navi, or are you having issues with Polaris & older stuff too?

Because granted my sample size is low, but the drivers themselves from both companies been working flawlessly for years upon years. I haven't seen any of this "AMD drivers are always shit" from firsthand experience. And statistically I should have from the way everyone talks about it. 

Well, TBH i havent really gamed on PC's for that long to have a long history on past hardware. I was a console player in the beginning and what burnt my bridges with the console industry was the fact things became not backwards compatible.

So once PS 3 was released, was when i decided to go PC, was around 2005'ish i think.

I think my very first GPU was a GT 230 perhaps not sure 100%. But when i decided to take PC gaming a little more serious i got a GTX 660, but it died due to poor electricity to my home. So i then got a GTX 960 4GB as i knew the new GPU's were going to come soon.

When NVidia released their 10's and saw the prices i was like WTF, nah i will wait for price drops. So when the release of the RTX 20 series released, overnight the 10 series were no longer available and i didnt want to buy any NVidia 20 series as the pricing were off the charts.

So when i heard AMD were releasing their GPU's, all tech reviewers were saying to wait on buying a GPU's. So i did.

When i saw the new GPU's of AMD, i thought well ill get myself a 5700XT, but couldnt because a lot of price hiking was happening so i got the 5700 instead as the price was pretty good.

But as i bought my VERY first AMD GPU, i was so excited. I had 0 issues with my AMD GPU, it wasnt until roughly 2 weeks later thats when the problems started, first it started with the black screening on my main monitor, so i still could just reboot my PC from my second monitor. Then i started to see performance dropping, i then starting contacting the manufacturer and AMD through their support channels.

I had manufacturer telling me its AMD problems with their drivers, and when AMD responded, all i got was just update the driver and they would send me a link to their drivers where i would dl and install them from.

When i kept on reporting that my problems were getting worse, at this point my PC was just turning off by itself and rebooting, they just kept sending me links to newer drivers.

So i decided that you know what i had enough, i paid $638 AUD and to me if a GPU is worth over $500 AUD then i shouldnt be having to have to go through problems. But because i wanted to try and use the AMD GPU, i tried diagnosing the issue myself.

I got the point where it was like a lottery ticket, some days the GPU would work awesome, but most days i couldnt keep my pc running for any longer the 10mins.

I bought my GPU in the middle of October and decided enough was enough at the end of November, and contacted the store i got my GPU from, sent them all the info i had on what AMD and the manufacture sent to me and said, thats it enough i want either another GPU or refund. They decided to refund me, so i then wacked another $100 on the price and got myself a NVidia 2070 Super.

I have right now a AMD CPU 2700 and have had zero issues or problems, so AMD as a whole isnt bad, but what they are doing about the their GPU's (Navi), its pathetic.

AMD dont care about their customers as i proven in my first post and how they treated me, compared to NVidia customer support that i have needed in the past, is pathetic to say the least. NVidia Customer support is 2nd to none when it comes to customer support, well for me anyways.

TBH, i would of stayed with my AMD GPU, if only AMD treated me like a human customer, instead of treating me like an idiot, with repeat emails of installing drivers all the time.

But because of how things went down for me, couldnt game for almost 2 to 3 months over the x-mass holidays, when trying to get things done was hard as i live out in the country side up to 5hrs+ to any CBD, was really annoying.

So for now AMD GPU side of things have left a litter bitter taste in my mouth, and in order for me to prob ever go back to an AMD GPU product, they would have to send me a GPU first to try out before i would even think about buying one, now!

And after watching that gamer nexus video where they showed more effort on making a software UI to look great and ignore their customers about hardware issues, then have the audacity to say that they are all about the gamers, pffft yeah right!

All i know is and im probably not the only one too, is that AMD had their chance to win over SOME NVidia users, but now they will have to do more now instead of releasing some sort youtube advert, to convince me to try an AMD GPU product ever again.

I started with a 980, then went to a 1660 Ti, and now a 2060 Super. My only complaint was some heating issues I had with the 1660, but that was due to MSI applying the thermal paste horribly. I have only heard bad things about AMD cards, and I have no plans to try any in the future. 

Their CPU game is on point, but then again, Intel has stagnated for a while now. Nvidia with their '30% minimum improvement' per generation has made it so AMD has no chance, at least not for several years.

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Gold 1000w Case: Corsair 680X RGB Black

NAS/Media Box

CPU: Ryzen 3200G  MB: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 M.2: WD Blue 500 GB

PSU: Rosewill Photon 850W 80+ Gold Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo