Is Intel's 32 Gb Optane Worth It?

XILEGEND

I was looking into getting the Optane to help speed up my hard drive which has everything on it including my OS. Rather than buying a larger SSD and replacing my HDD I thought the Optane could be worth considering. I have an Asus PRIME-Z270-A motherboard with an i7-7700k btw so from what I've read it is going to be compatible with my computer. Do you guys have any personal experience with it or know anyone that has tried it? Think its worth the 80ish bucks? And if there are any other accelerators out there worth looking at im interested in checking those out too but Optane is the only one I've seen. Thanks!

Get a 500GB NVME M.2 SSD and put the OS and programs on it. Keep the HDD for storage.

80$ for 32GB is a waste of money.

8 hours ago, Srijan Verma said:

What size of HDD are you looking to boost?

2 Terabytes 

I've tried Optane boosting a game storage HD. Not worth the time or effort. Trouble is similar to other cacheing systems, it is a bit small that unless you repeatedly access the same data over and over again, it doesn't really help much.

I would in this situation look to get an OS SSD as it will help in day to day usage. You could easily get a 480-525GB class SSD for that much, and not much of a stretch to 1TB. That'll give you the ability to put performance sensitive apps/data on the SSD, while retaining the capacity of the HD for bulk storage.

I've not used it myself, but Primocache with a bigger regular SSD might be another option to consider if you really want to avoid a reinstall.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 minutes ago, XILEGEND said:

2 Terabytes 

I have a  16gb Optane in my laptop, with 1 tb hard drive, even though it makes it faster than just hard drives is slower than a nvme SSD, so the decision you have to make is either get a small-medium SSD and keep important stuff in it and keep large files like games in the HDD (many people do this but personally playing off HDDs is not the best experience ). or you could get a optane module and get a cheap SSD like performane for your 2TB .

Unless you use the whole 2tb frequently optane has little to offer

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Thanks for the input guys, glad i came here to ask before impulse buying lol

Optane is one of those technologies that sounds good in theory, but in practice falls short and ends up being a compromise that doesn't satisfy anything and can be accomplished better with existing solutions.

Ultimately, this is my feeling on optane/sshdd's:

giphy.gif

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x