Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've see the thumbnail of LTT's video about "Apple should have gone AMD", and it makes me wonder why Apple don't go AMD. They've use Radeon Graphics for like 5 - 7 years right now.

QUOTE ME SO I CAN REPLY OR TYPE @ItsMeRachata before every quote.

a N k L e   d a N E   i S  a   v E R y   g u D   s e n t R y   m a N

We need Heavy update We need to nerf Pyro

AMD Motherboard Tier List v2    Power Supply Tier List 

tl;dr is there's bad blood and numerous lawsuits between the two entities.

Basic overview:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/apple-cuda-toolkit-support

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  Intel  i7-4790k | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Crucial MX200 (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Until this latest generation Zen2 intel have been better (if you dont care about price, they are large enough to get a good price from anyone).

With the new Zen2 (and what is coming this year) cpus there is less of a clear cut reason. That said for apple most products are in designe/testing etc for many years before they ship.

I've heard rumors it's just been basic contract stuff...like an exclusive wit intel or some such.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

7 hours ago, ItsMeRachata said:

I've see the thumbnail of LTT's video about "Apple should have gone AMD", and it makes me wonder why Apple don't go AMD.

The speculation on this is covered in the video... the most likely reason is that the mac pro has been in development for a few years and, when they started, AMD was a big question mark when it came to the viability and longevity of their platform. That's kind of what you get when you want a prebuilt with a custom motherboard and don't want to overhaul it every year. It's almost as though the whole concept of the boutique workstation product is broken.

7 hours ago, Semper said:

Basic overview:

We're talking cpus here.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

7 hours ago, Semper said:

Basic overview:

He didn't say Nvidia

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 hours ago, ItsMeRachata said:

I've see the thumbnail of LTT's video about "Apple should have gone AMD", and it makes me wonder why Apple don't go AMD. They've use Radeon Graphics for like 5 - 7 years right now.

before all this Zen 3 thing, AMD was never been in a good position to be consider as cpu supplier for Apple. I think you guys know how bulldozer performs.

I think there's a couple of possible reasons:

1. Apple would have to optimize it again when it switch cpu

2. changing cpu and chipset ain't cheap

3. possibly they just don't bother

Also, it seems that Apple is eager to make it's own cpu, so I don't think that apple would use AMD anytime soon, or maybe apple will now the rumour of apple having ryzen reference is up

There was actually a news story this week about how the new Mac OS version contains references.

On 2/10/2020 at 2:01 AM, ItsMeRachata said:

Probably under contract, they use AMD GPUs because they’re not on good terms with nvidia  

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?