Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do I need WiFi to install drivers?

Go to solution Solved by vanished,

Both wifi and ethernet devices will need drivers, but Windows 10 generally includes drivers for most common devices.  Because of this, it can connect to the internet and then download the drivers it needs for everything else.  If you are unlucky and it doesn't include drivers for your device, you'll have to install them from a USB drive, CD, etc. before you can connect to the internet.  This potentially problematic and frustrating catch 22 is precisely why they make an attempt to include them these days.

Do I not need a USB WiFi thing to be able to connect to the internet to install drivers for a fresh system? Do I need drivers to use an Ethernet connection?

Both wifi and ethernet devices will need drivers, but Windows 10 generally includes drivers for most common devices.  Because of this, it can connect to the internet and then download the drivers it needs for everything else.  If you are unlucky and it doesn't include drivers for your device, you'll have to install them from a USB drive, CD, etc. before you can connect to the internet.  This potentially problematic and frustrating catch 22 is precisely why they make an attempt to include them these days.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh okay, thanks broski!