Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best PC for 3D software?

Hey, guys, i recently got a job at a manufacturing company and they needed someone to make realistic outdoor renders so i stepped into the position. They want me to tell them what parts i want in my computer. there is no real budget just that it can run everything i need to do. I primarily use Blender, there will be some use of maya, nuke, and possibly hoodini. I am going to work with very large files (often times like 5-10 GB CAD files). I was thinking something like 2x 1080 ti, around 95 GB of ram, and like a 22 or more core processor. any suggestions for a studio quality computer for runing 3D modeling software? Thanks for any help!

P.S. Bonus if you include like a minimal ideas and maximum idea, thanks again!

7 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

around 95 GB of ram

That's quite specific amount lol.

If budget is no issue then just grab TR 3970X (you can also go all-in with dual-socket EPYCs) with dual Titan Vs and some 128GB RAM and Corsair AX1600i. I'll make a build for you shortly.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3970X 3.7 GHz 32-Core Processor  ($1948.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Alphacool Eisbaer 420 62.31 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX sTRX4 Motherboard  ($399.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 256 GB (8 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($1199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin PILOT 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($134.76 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Blower Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($1159.99 @ Walmart)
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Blower Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($1159.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($148.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $7011.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-07 10:52 EST-0500

Edit: forgot about TR4 AIO specifics, swapped for one that has larger coldplate, 420mm as a bonus, but had to swap the case too.

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

That's quite specific amount lol.

If budget is no issue then just grab TR 3970X (you can also go all-in with dual-socket EPYCs) with dual Titan Vs and some 128GB RAM and Corsair AX1600i. I'll make a build for you shortly.

ya i just said that amount that's just what their current computers have. So far they havent given me a budget they just said get what you need so i was going to pitch some diffent builds to get their thoughts. thanks for the help btw!

Titan V's go for 4k$ a piece so it's about additional 5.5k$ with them, and 64-core EPYC 7742s go for 7.8k$, so it's another ~12k$ for dual EPYC system, 25k$ total for PC with dual EPYCs and 2x Titan Vs. Not sure if you really need so much firepower tho i pretty sure that 7k$ system would cut it just fine.

Also if you really dedicated to building top-notch PC you could go for custom loop, this way you wouldn't need to worry about GPU thermals and it's almost must-have for high-load dual-CPU systems anyway (i went with blower-style ones just because of that) but it will need some research to build it right (i'm not a go-to person for custom loops tho).

Edit: TPU just released an article about TR 3rd gen OC and cooling : https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3000-overclocking-deep-dive-asus-rog-zenith-ii-extreme/2.html