Wondering why the performance of my pc didn't go up by much.

Im Weeb
Go to solution Solved by The_russian,

You didn't mention your use case, so I'll assume it is just for gaming. The 6700k is still a pretty good CPU, and the performance of that system was being bottlenecked by your graphics card, not the CPU. Because of this, upgrading the CPU won't help, like you experienced. If you want to get better performance, you need to upgrade your graphics card.

My previous build:

CPU: I7-6700K

RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz (4x8GB)

GPU: GTX 1070 MSI

MOBO: Z170 MSI M7

Present build:

CPU: Ryzen 3800X

RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 Mhz (4x8GB)

GPU: GTX 1070 MSI (Same card as previous build)

MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-E

BIOS is flashed to the most recent version.

So i would like to know if its my GPU or maybe something else that might be causing this, since i feel like my performance barely went up by a few frames and even went down in some cases.

That's because your previous CPU wasn't holding you back. Its cores are still fast and it has enough of them to keep up with modern games. Few titles actually use more than 8 threads.

You will notice a difference after you upgrade the 1070. That's what's holding you back right now.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

You didn't mention your use case, so I'll assume it is just for gaming. The 6700k is still a pretty good CPU, and the performance of that system was being bottlenecked by your graphics card, not the CPU. Because of this, upgrading the CPU won't help, like you experienced. If you want to get better performance, you need to upgrade your graphics card.

Will concur with the others that your CPU is still good enough due to not running applications that run better with more cores. This will especially be the case if you're trying to compare scores through something like 3DMark (though your CPU based scores will definitely improve) or Unigine.

I don't see an upgrade here that is focussed on more fps. For more FPS, GPU is the first thing you should upgrade. Motherboard is literally the last. (I understand though you had to because cpu)

You didn't change the gpu.

Didn't change the ram (not that it matters much anyway)

That CPU wouldn't bottleneck 1070 so you were already getting max performance from the gpu.

And motherboard upgrade won't give you more FPS, unless you are extreme overclocking and the previous one was just trash.

What you should have done? a 2080 would probably give you 50% more FPS, and the CPU would still catch up with it in 90% of the games and maybe small bottleneck in some games.

19 hours ago, The_russian said:

Sorry for not mentioning the case, yes it is gaming and i thought that it would improve performance since i was experience some frame drops when particle effects were kicking in

19 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Will concur with the others that your CPU is still good enough due to not running applications that run better with more cores. This will especially be the case if you're trying to compare scores through something like 3DMark (though your CPU based scores will definitely improve) or Unigine.

I was mostly basing my stuff on the fact that my CPU usage was fairly high

19 hours ago, lafrente said:

I don't see an upgrade here that is focussed on more fps. For more FPS, GPU is the first thing you should upgrade. Motherboard is literally the last. (I understand though you had to because cpu)

You didn't change the gpu.

Didn't change the ram (not that it matters much anyway)

That CPU wouldn't bottleneck 1070 so you were already getting max performance from the gpu.

And motherboard upgrade won't give you more FPS, unless you are extreme overclocking and the previous one was just trash.

What you should have done? a 2080 would probably give you 50% more FPS, and the CPU would still catch up with it in 90% of the games and maybe small bottleneck in some games.

True, i guess i didn't do my research properly, in this case with my current build what GPU would you recommend? I know that the 5600XT is at a really good price and since my motherboard and CPU supports PCI-E 4.0, or should i wait for NVIDIA to release their new generation

12 minutes ago, Im Weeb said:

My previous build:

CPU: I7-6700K

RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz (4x8GB)

GPU: GTX 1070 MSI

MOBO: Z170 MSI M7

Present build:

CPU: Ryzen 3800X

RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 Mhz (4x8GB)

GPU: GTX 1070 MSI (Same card as previous build)

MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-E

BIOS is flashed to the most recent version.

So i would like to know if its my GPU or maybe something else that might be causing this, since i feel like my performance barely went up by a few frames and even went down in some cases.

Ultimately the biggest change you can achieve in any system is how fast your storage is. If you went from a HDD to an all SSD setup, you'd see some framerate increases. More games are using more cores these days, and the frametime consistency will probably be the improvement you see in some areas, however it also heavily depends on exactly what games you play. Space Engineers, for example, doesn't use more than four threads... so having an upgrade from the 6700K to a 3800X won't see any improvement.

That and the 1070 is not bottlenecked by a 6700K no matter what anyone says... You'd need a more powerful GPU before you saw any serious gains and even then, we're talking 2080 territory before you see any potential bottlenecks come into play here, if that. 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

7 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

Ultimately the biggest change you can achieve in any system is how fast your storage is. If you went from a HDD to an all SSD setup, you'd see some framerate increases. More games are using more cores these days, and the frametime consistency will probably be the improvement you see in some areas, however it also heavily depends on exactly what games you play. Space Engineers, for example, doesn't use more than four threads... so having an upgrade from the 6700K to a 3800X won't see any improvement.

That and the 1070 is not bottlenecked by a 6700K no matter what anyone says... You'd need a more powerful GPU before you saw any serious gains and even then, we're talking 2080 territory before you see any potential bottlenecks come into play here, if that. 

Thought so, Thanks for the information.

7 minutes ago, Im Weeb said:

True, i guess i didn't do my research properly, in this case with my current build what GPU would you recommend? I know that the 5600XT is at a really good price and since my motherboard and CPU supports PCI-E 4.0, or should i wait for NVIDIA to release their new generation

Avoid AMD cards for now. There are still plenty of driver issues. If you MUST buy something right now, I'd go for the 2060 Super or 2070 Super.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

5 minutes ago, Im Weeb said:

Since you upgraded the CPU you can pretty much pick any GPU atm on the market without worrying about bottleneck. 5600xt wouldn't give you more fps. It's very close to 1070 so you're looking at 5700xt minimum or nvidia equivalent. Open a thread like this again before the final purchase.

Just now, rares495 said:

Avoid AMD cards for now. There are still plenty of driver issues. If you MUST buy something right now, I'd go for the 2060 Super or 2070 Super.

I did consider the 2070 SUPER, but i wonder if buying either a 1080/1080 ti or waiting for the next generation might be better, since RTX as no appeal to me.

1 minute ago, lafrente said:

Since you upgraded the CPU you can pretty much pick any GPU atm on the market without worrying about bottleneck. 5600xt wouldn't give you more fps. It's very close to 1070 so you're looking at 5700xt minimum or nvidia equivalent. Open a thread like this again before the final purchase.

Will do since i don't want to repeat the same mistake again, i will probably open a thread now to get some info. Tx again

Keep it simple, Should have upgraded your gpu and left your cpu alone. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

12 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

Not sure the fps increase from HDD to SSD.  Load times... oh yeah. FPS?  Not really.

@Im Weeb, think of it like bought a larger car with a bigger trunk.  Not a faster car, just one that can carry more each trip.  Since you're not loading the first car (6700) with enough stuff to make more than 1 trip, it's still more than enough.

Not sure who sold you on the 3800X, but I'd say you were not fully informed what you were getting.

1 minute ago, Lorant said:

Not sure the fps increase from HDD to SSD.  Load times... oh yeah. FPS?  Not really.

@Im Weeb, think of it like bought a larger car with a bigger trunk.  Not a faster car, just one that can carry more each trip.  Since you're not loading the first car (6700) with enough stuff to make more than 1 trip, it's still more than enough.

Not sure who sold you on the 3800X, but I'd say you were not fully informed what you were getting.

I bought it myself, i'm a technician (Just came out of school) and i also did my previous build, i simply went according to CPU scores like a dummy without actually informing myself properly, it's pretty much an error on my part that is why i'm currently trying to inform myself on the matter since if i ever have friends or clients i don't want to misguide them.

5 hours ago, Lorant said:

@Im Weeb

There is one single exception to that that exist, but it's a game many dislike at this point. And that is Star Citizen. I don't know if it's because how the game is or its just coded badly, but it needs an SSD. (At least if you have 16 GB of ram, don't know if it changes if you have more ram)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

7 hours ago, Lorant said:

FPS absolutely. Frametimes matter and even Linus has noted that there is a substantial difference between HDD performance and SSD performance in games. I mean, I noticed a 10 FPS difference in some titles on weaker hardware than what I have now.

Also faster load times also directly correlates to better performance across the board. That's common misconception people never look past. Having an SSD will improve your drive's nominal operational rate. If you legitimately think there's zero improvement going from a spinner to an NVMe drive, you're wrong.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

6 hours ago, Imglidinhere said:

FPS absolutely. Frametimes matter and even Linus has noted that there is a substantial difference between HDD performance and SSD performance in games. I mean, I noticed a 10 FPS difference in some titles on weaker hardware than what I have now.

Also faster load times also directly correlates to better performance across the board. That's common misconception people never look past. Having an SSD will improve your drive's nominal operational rate. If you legitimately think there's zero improvement going from a spinner to an NVMe drive, you're wrong.

You mean like this?  You will get smoother game play as most games stutter when loading assets off HDD I've noticed. Is that what you're meaning?  Negating that load?

6 hours ago, Lorant said:

You mean like this?  You will get smoother game play as most games stutter when loading assets off HDD I've noticed. Is that what you're meaning?  Negating that load?

Correct. Probably should have said "frametimes" rather than "framerate" but the point is the fact that an SSD will often make an equally large splash when added to any system. Even if a system has an SSD boot drive, having a game running on an SSD makes a whole world of difference.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

On 2/6/2020 at 3:45 PM, rares495 said:

I would go for the 2070 super and if you can, return the new cpu and motherboard and get original ones you had back. I have a similar build to your old one but with a 2070 Super and it runs great! 

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Motherboard: Asus Z170-Deluxe ATX LGA1151 Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8 GB) DDR4-3200 Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2-2280 NVME & 1TB HDD GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB PSU: Corsair RMi 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Monitor: Dell AW3418DW 34.1" Ultrawide Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower