UPGRADE HEADPHONE 4 GAMING

Jorn3l

Hi guys!

I´m thinking of upgrading my current audio setup for something that can give me some advantege from what i currently have.

I´m not looking for something with gaming tag on it except if it is realy worth. I will only use headphones for gaming.

So, my current setup is:

- Phillips GSP9500s

- V-moda Boom pro

- Sennheiser GSX 1000 DAC/AMP

What i whan´t on headphones is positional audio> soundstage> comfort> audio quality. Open or closed back not so important for me.

From my research, if i go to audiophile grade headphones mic could be a problem, so i was looking to sennheiser gsp 500/600 or byerdinamic MMX 300 gen2 if i coud get a good deal.

I can go to 200$ish and maybe i can sell something from my current set up.

So guys, what do you think i can buy? or shoud i keep what i have?

Thanks for your advice and sorry for bad Inglish.

I really don't think you'll gain any advantage with a different set up.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I really don't think you'll gain any advantage with a different set up.

I know. i´m so divided..

But somethimes i can´t quite figure as fast as i shoud if enemy is above or under me in a building. Maybe my gsx setings are not tunned well. i don´t know

Just now, Jorn3l said:

I know. i´m so divided..

But somethimes i can´t quite figure as fast as i shoud if enemy is above or under me in a building. Maybe my gsx setings are not tunned well. i don´t know

I think Razer has free software. Try that, see if it makes a difference.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I think Razer has free software. Try that, see if it makes a difference.

Adding processing on already processed audio won't do any good.

3 hours ago, Jorn3l said:

I know. i´m so divided..

Almost not headphone can do above or below you. If you play fortnite the sound engine in that game is trash, if you play siege you have to learn how to pick up context clues a footstep above you sound different from one on the same level as you

. Due to how headphones work it's almost impossible to above you. You can get something better in terms of competitive Gaming in respect of left and right imaging you would just need a more powerful amp. 

4 hours ago, Jorn3l said:

I know. i´m so divided..

It's literally not even possible to distinguish those directions on headphones most of the time, because it's not standard practice for the games themselves to have a system for outputting height.

I would suggest trying out an audiotechnica ATH-AD900X because of the angled drivers. Get it from somewhere with a good return policy in case they don't work better for you.

1 hour ago, an actual squirrel said:

It's literally not even possible to distinguish those directions on headphones most of the time, because it's not standard practice for the games themselves to have a system for outputting height.

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

Almost not headphone can do above or below you. If you play fortnite the sound engine in that game is trash, if you play siege you have to learn how to pick up context clues a footstep above you sound different from one on the same level as you

. Due to how headphones work it's almost impossible to above you. You can get something better in terms of competitive Gaming in respect of left and right imaging you would just need a more powerful amp. 

I can locate the enemy but not as fast as i woud wan´t. That´s why i was looking for an upgrade.

So you guys think i shoud keep the setup?

55 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

I would suggest trying out an audiotechnica ATH-AD900X because of the angled drivers. Get it from somewhere with a good return policy in case they don't work better for you.

Thanks.. i will look into those headphones

17 minutes ago, Jorn3l said:

I can locate the enemy but not as fast as i woud wan´t. That´s why i was looking for an upgrade.

So you guys think i shoud keep the setup?

Maybe something narrower sounding with better imaging would be up your alley check out the HD 599 or HD 58x from massdrop

5 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

Adding processing on already processed audio won't do any good.

It would be using it without the external amp/DAC unit. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, JabroniBaloney said:

What?

The audio aids in the 7.1 reproduction. So if he's missing directional audio it might help him instead of the 7.1 from the unit on his desk.

Or did you not actually know what the desk unit does?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I should elaborate further a narrower soundstage will make sound cues closer to you so you will have less of that "3d effect" but in turn everything is more immediate and more obvious which angle they are. The trade off is how far they are away from you

11 hours ago, rice guru said:

I should elaborate further a narrower soundstage will make sound cues closer to you so you will have less of that "3d effect" but in turn everything is more immediate and more obvious which angle they are. The trade off is how far they are away from you

The game i play require to be able to be able to know from distance where fightings are taking place. it´s a tactical shooter. 

i guess the best option is to maybe keep what i have.

31 minutes ago, Jorn3l said:

The game i play require to be able to be able to know from distance where fightings are taking place. it´s a tactical shooter. 

i guess the best option is to maybe keep what i have.

Probably. Best upgrade I can think of are DT 880 600 ohms but you need a better amp. Once you get a good setup like you have now it's really down to skilland practice. I know people who got great at shooters like global elite on csgo with $20 Sony headphones off their laptop audio out without any Virtual surround sound

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

Probably. Best upgrade I can think of are DT 880 600 ohms but you need a better amp. Once you get a good setup like you have now it's really down to skilland practice. I know people who got great at shooters like global elite on csgo with $20 Sony headphones off their laptop audio out without any Virtual surround sound

How much are we talking about? I mean, the total price for that setup? DT800 + amp/dac? Its a big step up in preformance?

CSGO is not freaking hard in positionig because maps are smal but i believe that with 20$ headphones you can manage your way to Global.

But you will only get marginal improvements in left and right imaging 

13 minutes ago, rice guru said:

But you will only get marginal improvements in left and right imaging 

14 minutes ago, rice guru said:

We talking $150 on top of the headphone

And still have the mic problem.. it´s a quite investment for minor improvement. 

So, i start thinking it´s better to keep my setup.

Shp9500 are actualy a quite nice set of cans! it impressed me.

56 minutes ago, Jorn3l said:

And still have the mic problem.. it´s a quite investment for minor improvement. 

So, i start thinking it´s better to keep my setup.

Shp9500 are actualy a quite nice set of cans! it impressed me.

Yep. It's very decent . Actually I just realized you already have a dac so you actually just need another $100 for an amp. 

8 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Yep. It's very decent . Actually I just realized you already have a dac so you actually just need another $100 for an amp. 

Actually, i think the sennheiser gsx 1000 is already a amp/dac combo...

4 hours ago, Jorn3l said:

Actually, i think the sennheiser gsx 1000 is already a amp/dac combo...

I know but the amp on the gax is rather weak. If you upgraded it and took a fixed line out and hooked it up to a more powerful amp then you could support the DT 880 600 ohm which would be my recc.

i'd try onboard with hesuvi with those headphones

you could mess with atmos, sbx, and many others

no money spent to dabble

and 9500s are great for gaming but you could try different ones also with possible amp and hesuvi too