How do you mount a zfs drive in Windows

adiack
Go to solution Solved by adiack,

you cant but the problem i was experiencing was solved by mounting it in Linux if it fails try compiling a newer version of zfs 

I am trying to mount a zfs drive a that has 2tb HDD and 120gb sad in Windows and can't workout how I just need to copy the files of of it can someone please help me

Edit the 120gb sad is only set as a cache in free Nas 

if you want a reply you need to quote or @me 

Windows does not support ZFS.

While there is some work in progress: https://github.com/openzfsonwindows/ZFSin that's still quite long way from being properly usable.

You need to use Linux and mount ZFS there, and copy files to wherever you need. You can even use LiveCD (so no need to install it).

You cannot. Windows doesn't support the File System.

If you have a spare computer follow this:

Except when you get to Step 4 don't create a new pool use zpool import pool-name -f

Mount this on the SAMBA share and pull the data off over the network.

Ok thank you very much 

9 hours ago, adiack said:

I am trying to mount a zfs drive a that has 2tb HDD and 120gb sad in Windows and can't workout how I just need to copy the files of of it can someone please help me

Edit the 120gb sad is only set as a cache in free Nas 

Set up Samba and then Windows will be able to see it as a shared folder.

IB >>> ETH

3 hours ago, alpha754293 said:

Set up Samba and then Windows will be able to see it as a shared folder.

i have tried that but the it says i dont have the perms 

and i cant change that because it doesnt show up on the perms page

2 minutes ago, adiack said:

It's been a while since I've set up a ZFS share, but the two things that I would check would be:

1) Check to make sure that the ZFS mountpoint on your hosting server has rwx permissions for root, group, and user, and that it has the correct owner for the mountpoint e.g.:

$ cd /path/to/zfs/mountpoint

$ cd ..

$ sudo chmod 777 -R /path/to/zfs/mountpoint

$ sudo chown -R /path/to/zfs/mountpoint

$ sudo chgrp -R /path/to/zfs/mountpoint

2) Check your smb.conf or samba.conf file to make sure that it has the appropriate permissions allowed, I think it's under the "directory" heading/directive.

I would ssh into your host system as the user for that /path/to/zfs/mountpoint and write a file there to see if your user credentials work with that mountpoint.

Sometimes, if you create the mountpoint with the root account (e.g. su or sudo), the owner/group will be root, root, respectively. So I'll double check that.

And make sure that the host can write to that mountpoint as a non-root user.

If that doesn't work - then it depends on whether you can even see the SMB share or not.

If you can't even see the SMB share, then check to make sure that ZFS is working/running on your system, along with checking to make sure that SMB is working/running on your system as well.

What OS are you running that has the ZFS shared folder?

Thanks.

IB >>> ETH

14 minutes ago, adiack said:

Perms page? What OS are you using?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

• 3 months later...

you cant but the problem i was experiencing was solved by mounting it in Linux if it fails try compiling a newer version of zfs