Strange sounds in my headphones

nmsxsu

Hey everyone,

When I move the cursor or something happens on my pc, especially with heavy programs like games or video editing programs I hear a strange sound, It's like a buzz but it responds to what I do on the screen. For example if I click on a window and start moving it, the noise becomes louder. I have my headphones plugged through an amplifier but I tried with a pair of earphones (without the amp) and it does the same (monitor speakers are fine). How can I fix it?

Congratulations you have been visited by the emi fairy. Change cables and move your amp away from your monitor and computer.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:21 AM, ShearMe said:

Could also be a ground loop. Try a ground loop isolator. 

I bought it now, I’ll let you know if it’ll change something because moving the amp away and changing cables didn’t make any difference

On 2/10/2020 at 9:43 AM, nemeshisu said:

I bought it now, I’ll let you know if it’ll change something because moving the amp away and changing cables didn’t make any difference

If ground loops are the real problem, unless you change cables to balanced ones it won't make a difference. I have no idea about what this ground loop isolator does though.

Funny, my PC at home does the exact opposite. It makes strange noises unless I move the mouse...?

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

On 2/11/2020 at 8:21 PM, HumdrumPenguin said:

If ground loops are the real problem, unless you change cables to balanced ones it won't make a difference. I have no idea about what this ground loop isolator does though.

A ground loop forms when you have multiple devices connected together that are separately powered. If each power plug has a ground lug, and the connection has a ground wire, you get a circuit formed between the devices and ground. This circuit is highly susceptible to EMI as it has lots of "antennas" in a computer motherboard, and because the EMI is variable it acts like a AC wave front that your audio gear picks up as strange buzzes.

Spoiler

38832f79caf1253436b05df86b058155b3fafa11.jpg.51cf3f9e0c2807d6654af97965e658dc.jpg

You are correct that a true balanced connection would fix the issue, but balanced connections aren't widely available for consumer products. A ground loop isolator typically functions by putting a transformer in the middle of a ground circuit. Because DC currents cannot pass through a transformer, the ground loop is effectively cut for the EMI, but still allows any AC audio signals to pass.

Spoiler

265-4041_HR_0.jpg.bc24b07051a55a985cc77faf00ffde77.jpg

If you guys are still interested, the ground loop isolator didn't change anything at all, probably there was something going on with my audio card. I just built my first pc and this one is not making any noises, even if I crank the amp to the max

2 hours ago, nemeshisu said:

If you guys are still interested, the ground loop isolator didn't change anything at all, probably there was something going on with my audio card. I just built my first pc and this one is not making any noises, even if I crank the amp to the max

Sorry to hear that, but glad your new PC is working out for you.