Mixing ryzen cpu with geforce gpu -- is it a bad idea?

llssc

First of all, I have been using Ryzen 1700 with GTX 1060 for three years now.

I heard it's a stupid idea, according to a couple people, but I know this configuration has no problem because I HAVE BEEN USING THEM FOR THREE YEARS WITHOUT A PROBLEM.

Can someone explain why it is a stupid idea, or why it is not a stupid idea? I'd like somewhat detailed explanation. 

There is nothing wrong with that confi at all. It's just a cpu and a gpu doesn't matter if it's amd or intel paired with a nvidia or amd gpu. The other people are the ones with the stupid idea :p.

Those people are idiots. All graphics cards and CPUs are identical in the way they work and communicate with the motherboard.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, llssc said:

I heard it's a stupid idea, according to a couple people, but I know this configuration has no problem because I HAVE BEEN USING THEM FOR THREE YEARS WITHOUT A PROBLEM.

Can someone explain why it is a stupid idea, or why it is not a stupid idea? I'd like somewhat detailed explanation. 

There's no reason to give you a detailed answer.  They work fine together.

It's a CPU and a GPU.  Not related or linked together to make each other work.

I guess I didn't say what they had said. Here is what they said regarding their statement. (The person in question is using Intel CPU from 9 years ago and I was talking with him when these two attacked my config) 

Screenshot_20200204-081557~2.png

Screenshot_20200204-081604~2.png

Screenshot_20200204-081611~2.png

Screenshot_20200204-081631~2.png

Screenshot_20200204-081637~2.png

Edited by llssc

It literally makes zero difference and anyone who says otherwise is a fool. If it actually mattered there would be a million videos online saying why you should only use an amd cpu with an amd gpu. I have had systems with intel cpu's and amd gpu, intel cpu and Nvidia gpu, amd cpu and Nvidia gpu, all of these with no issues. These guys in discord sound like they are smoking crack, some of the dumbest things I have read in a while. The fact that they said SLI/Crosswire (it's crossfire) and that they would some how be compatible with each other via a bridge (which crossfire hasn't used in years) shows they have no idea what they are talking about. I lost brain cells reading their words

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

3 hours ago, llssc said:

I guess I didn't say what they had said. Here is what they said regarding their statement. (The person in question is using Intel CPU from 9 years ago and I was talking with him when these two attacked my config) 

*image snip*

these people are just retarded

Edited by wkdpaul

1 hour ago, llssc said:

these people genuinely have no insight into hardware and drivers even at the most basic level. in other words, ignore them. 

Okay. I see. Thanks for all the replies! 

there seems to be a misunderstanding

"both inject their own directx shims"

so it's about having both amd gpu and nvidia gpu in the motherboard, not amd cpu with nvidia gpu

the discussion is about amd gpu drivers co-existing with nvidia gpu drivers

2 hours ago, llssc said:

22 minutes ago, profroxas said:

so it's about having both amd gpu and nvidia gpu in the motherboard, not amd cpu with nvidia gpu

So either the interjectors misunderstood him completely, which means they lack reading comprehension but may have a valid point tho.

Edit:  I too have a reading comprehension issue, as I read their comments and didn't catch that, even when they start off my saying having AMD and nVidia GPUs in same MB is dum.  

It doesn’t matter at all.

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

The argument in that conversation you showed seemed to indicate the concern was with AMD GPUs conflicting with Nvidia.  I didn't see (nor did I read all of it) them worried about an AMD CPU with an NVIDIA GPU.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 hour ago, profroxas said:

Even if that was having a nVidia+AMD GPU, there's no issues to have both in the same computer. (I can post screenshot and pictures for those interested).

The people the OP was talking to have no clue.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

The most idiotic conversation I have seen.

It is obvious, these guys have no clue about HW & PC's.

Ignore... and enjoy !!