Windows 8 sold over 200 million licenses.

GoodBytes

Love it or hate, sales of Windows 8.x are up.

Microsoft has annonced today that it has sold over 200 million license

"We’ve surpassed 200 million licenses now on Windows 8, which is pretty stunning," says Microsoft’s Tami Reller, speaking at a Goldman Sachs technology conference today.

This is comparing to Windows 7 sales, which after a year, reach 240 million licenses. It's clear that it is moving slower than Windows 7, there is no doubt about it, and Windows 7 sales really went up toward it's end of life when buisneses updates to it, which probably won't be the case for Windows 8, as it doesn't fall into companies 6 year upgrade cycle, and of course declining PC sales.

However, it does indicate that manufactures are getting more licenses, as, well sales are going. Not bad for what Microsoft said Windows 8 will be before it's release, even before any beta version: That Windows 8 will be the riskiest Windows they ever made. And risky is indeed the case.

Microsoft does admit that Windows 8 apps are slow, and more to be done to push those numbers on the tablet space to push sales:

The number one priority of our developer team is to really get those apps populated," explains Reller. "We’ve had some good success, but more to do."

In addition, Reller talks about the the concern of Windows 8 on the desktop space, where keyboard and mouse are used.

"We’re being very thoughtful about what’s going well, what’s not going well and how do we change that," says Reller. Microsoft isn’t ready to talk Windows 8.1 Update 1, but recent leaks have shown that the company is focusing on reducing the operating system’s disk usage, and adjusting its UI for mouse and keyboard users. "We will make material movement on just the footprint of the OS and what that can mean on how we can run on smaller devices," says Reller, referring to Microsoft’s future Windows plans. Microsoft is expected to ship its next Windows 8.1 update in April, as it continues to strike a balance for its millions of users.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/13/5408666/windows-8-200-million-license-sales

Meh, still waiting a bit more until all the drivers are 100% compatible with 8/8.1 and no performance loss and maybe a decent amount of performance gain would be nice. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Is this sales to retailers or activated keys?

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Is this sales to retailers or activated keys?

I would assume activated keys, unless you class oem's as retailers...

OnePlus 6T

As always, it's sales of licenses. Whether be OEM's, retailers, or direct to you (you buying from Microsoft store)

It is hard to go with 'activated', because, all OEM licenses (Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc. not the retail OEM that we buy) are all pre-activated.

The numbers are compared to Windows 7, which give us an idea. Also, if OEMs are getting Windows 8 license, it means that they need more. Else, they would be getting Windows 7 licenses, or none.

I would assume activated keys, unless you class oem's as retailers...

Yea sorry I classed them in to retailers, I'm guessing Windows 7 sales were calculated the same?

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Yea sorry I classed them in to retailers, I'm guessing Windows 7 sales were calculated the same?

More than likely for comparison proposes. Though I don't know where he got the stats from

OnePlus 6T

pretty sure they are including OEM licenses 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

pretty sure they are including OEM licenses 

And also Enterprise licenses. Which granted, don't update as often but they get the licenses almost for free since those pay for the service regardless of how many individual machines they deploy to.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If w7 was still offered as a choice at retail I'm positive the story would be drastically different. Forcing users by obsolescence is a great way to make a product sell. Does that mean those people are mostly satisfied with windows 8.x? No. Because they aren't.

Look at what HP is doing, offering windrows 7 on their online store. Smart move HP, at least you listen to your customers.

If HP would also offer W7 at retail in sure they would sell like hot cakes.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

To be fair, The user base was much more eager to upgrade to win 7 because of Vista.   While now most users like 7 and don't see the need for 8.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Meh, still waiting a bit more until all the drivers are 100% compatible with 8/8.1

What drivers are you using that are not compatible?

and no performance loss and maybe a decent amount of performance gain would be nice. 

A SSD coupled with 8/8.1 has given me a HUGE performance boost. My system boots in 3 seconds and shuts down in 4-5. My games load in under 10 seconds. Care to clarify what "performance loss" you are getting?

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

are they including copies of windows 8 on tablets and or phones?

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

are they including copies of windows 8 on tablets and or phones?

not phones, that is a different os, they will be including the full win 8 for tablets though, as it is essentially a fully functioning pc just in tablet form factor.  If they included RT I don't think it would push the figures that much after all it really wasn't a popular release.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If w7 was still offered as a choice at retail I'm positive the story would be drastically different. Forcing users by obsolescence is a great way to make a product sell. Does that mean those people are mostly satisfied with windows 8.x? No. Because they aren't.

Look at what HP is doing, offering windrows 7 on their online store. Smart move HP, at least you listen to your customers.

If HP would also offer W7 at retail in sure they would sell like hot cakes.

These two numbers aren't from the same year, braniac. And also, way to talk for people

I'd pick 8 over 7 pretty much any day of the week.

Good for you but much like drunk driving, just because you could manage to do it means that you should.

-------

Current Rig

-------

TBH i kinda like win 8.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

I'd prefer if it just die but we have to wait for 9 and hopefully it's better then windows 7.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Good for you but much like drunk driving, just because you could manage to do it means that you should.

It's actually been a lot easier to do stuff with 8.

It's actually been a lot easier to do stuff with 8.

I'm sorry I didn't realize you owned a tablet. Oh...you mean easier for a PC? Yeah well I guess that's kind of the point, it should be easy even if it's butt-ugly, inconvenient and generally annoying and stupid looking.

But hey people like modern art and morbidly obese women and self mutilation and so on, who am I to judge your taste (excluding this bit of sarcasm of course)

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm sorry I didn't realize you owned a tablet. Oh...you mean easier for a PC? Yeah well I guess that's kind of the point, it should be easy even if it's butt-ugly, inconvenient and generally annoying and stupid looking.

But hey people like modern art and morbidly obese women and self mutilation and so on, who am I to judge your taste (excluding this bit of sarcasm of course)

What? You don't like matte finishes and straight edges? Why?

What? You don't like matte finishes and straight edges? Why?

WAT

original.png

Seriously it looks like this, even if you can painstakingly correct the color scheme and replace all the stupid icons you still get a bunch of squares. I'm sorry but I just loathe the metro UI ever since I first saw it on windows phones and the 360

-------

Current Rig

-------

Seriously it looks like this, even if you can painstakingly correct the color scheme and replace all the stupid icons you still get a bunch of squares. I'm sorry but I just loathe the metro UI ever since I first saw it on windows phones and the 360

Oh, I get it, you don't know how to use windows 8. If you ever have to involuntarily look at the metro UI then you're doing it wrong. Get classic Start. Takes like 2 minutes.